PDA

View Full Version : Happy 82nd birthday to Mr. Cub

kmac32
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey all you Cub fans, it's Ernie Banks 82nd birthday today. Let's see some Banks cards and memorabilia.

talkinbaseball
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
I always loved that one!

john d. guzze

kmac32
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Here's Ernie

White Borders
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Today would also have been Jackie Robinson's 94th birthday. Google dedicated their doodle to him today.

wazoo
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Today would also have been Jackie Robinson's 94th birthday. Google dedicated their doodle to him today.

I saw that today. Great stuff in the world of baseball.

kmac32
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Good day for the negro leagues

sycks22
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Nolan Ryan's big day too. Not a bad day to be a ball player.

Runscott
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
He was on the same plane as me twenty years ago. Easy to pick out - he was wearing a baseball cap that said "Mr Cub" on it.

Very friendly, pleasant guy - smiling and talking with anyone who wanted to.

Eric72
01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
As Ernie said, "let's play two."

kmac32
01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Pic was from Cubs Fantasy camp in 2007. We were in the camp photographers hotel room looking at the days pics and Ernie came in. We had cocktails and chatted with Ernie for probably an hour. He even had me call home so he could talk with my wife. He told her she was the boss and needed to keep me in line. Very cool to spend an evening with Mr. Cub. Met Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam fame at the same camp.

Eric72
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Nolan Ryan's big day too. Not a bad day to be a ball player.
Nolan, too? Aw hell, let's play three!

itjclarke
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
I've got some memorabilia, his rookie card and some autos, but none that are scanned. I do have this shot though...

It was taken about a year ago while I was in Chicago on business. He was eating dinner with a group a few tables from our group. I really didn't want to bother him, but felt like I had to at least shake his hand before leaving, so walked over as we were closing our tab. I introduced myself and he immediately starting asking about me, where I was from, what I did for a living, did I play ball. He then politely said "excuse me" to his group, walked over to our table and sat down for 15-20 minutes! The highlight was when he asked us "you know where it comes from?", then rolled his wrists over as if swinging a bat.. still very quick and smooth, and then said "you see that, you see that? That's where it comes from". It was awesome. Happy Birthday Mr Cub.

kmac32
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Ernie has a saying for every year. The first one I remember is "the Cubs will shine in 69". Also said "Let's play 2 today". This years is"the Cubs are keen in 2013". That was a time when the players played for the love of the game, not just the dollar signs.

kmac32
01-31-2013, 04:55 PM
I've got some memorabilia, his rookie card and some autos, but none that are scanned. I do have this shot though...

It was taken about a year ago while I was in Chicago on business. He was eating dinner with a group a few tables from our group. I really didn't want to bother him, but felt like I had to at least shake his hand before leaving, so walked over as we were closing our tab. I introduced myself and he immediately starting asking about me, where I was from, what I did for a living, did I play ball. He then politely said "excuse me" to his group, walked over to our table and sat down for 15-20 minutes! The highlight was when he asked us "you know where it comes from?", then rolled his wrists over as if swinging a bat.. still very quick and smooth, and then said "you see that, you see that? That's where it comes from". It was awesome. Happy Birthday Mr Cub.

Typical Ernie Banks story. Love it.

itjclarke
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
The original eBay scan from when I bought it in the late '90s.. never minded the top bottom MC. Again, happy bday Mr Banks and Mr Ryan.

kmac32
01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Nice card Ian.

What that restaurant Harry Caray's? Looks like it from what I remember of it.

itjclarke
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Nice card Ian.

What that restaurant Harry Caray's? Looks like it from what I remember of it.

Thanks, that was one of my childhood dream cards and felt awesome when I got it. I later upgraded with a well centered one, and don't think I paid more than $170
for either... Still have both. Miss those early years of eBay.

Yeah, I think it was Harry Caray's... Some of my trips (especially in a place like Chicago) can get pretty blurry :p

freakhappy
01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the thread, Ken...

I pulled this from a box over a decade ago and was ecstatic over a pull like this. Nowadays you get a crazy hit in most boxes...it was fun to pull ones like this years ago.

I almost sold it a few times just to grab a few extra bucks, but glad I didn't.