PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle #500 Stub Value Help

daves_resale_shop
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Gents,

picked this one up at my local antique shop this afternoon. The seller had it labeled as a Mickey Home Run Game... I was pleasently surprised to find out that it was Mantle's #500 game after consulting with Baseball Almanac.

I can't seem to find one on ebay... Any ideas as to value?

Your help is greatly appreciated

MGHPro
01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Legendary sold one in 2000 for 685 w/ bp. Not sure what its worth in todays market, but I'm sure its still a good one!

packs
01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
I bet there aren't too many of those around. There must be a few 500 home run club guys who would be dueling it out.

Scott Garner
02-02-2013, 06:16 AM
David,
Congrats on your excellent pick up!

I don't know what you paid for the Mantle 500th HR ticket, but it's value is certainly in the $800-$1,300 range. These tickets do exist, but they only enter the hobby from time to time. Your particular stub appears to be an terrific example with an even tear at the perferation and sharp corners that definitely enhances value. Does the ticket have any staining or writing on the back?

I have collected baseball tickets for 40 years and have seen a few surface. Over 18,800 attended Mantle's 500th HR game in NY, which is a reasonable amount of patrons in atten, just as a referance point.

daves_resale_shop
02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow!!!
I appreciate your feedback Scott! The ticket has no staining/creasing or writing of any kind... The collection consisted of Yankees and mets stubs from the mid to late 60's... All were in great shape as if they were stored in a box and forgotten about.

David,
Congrats on your excellent pick up!

I don't know what you paid for the Mantle 500th HR ticket, but it's value is certainly in the $800-$1,300 range. These tickets do exist, but they only enter the hobby from time to time. Your particular stub appears to be an terrific example with an even tear at the perferation and sharp corners that definitely enhances value. Does the ticket have any staining or writing on the back?

I have collected baseball tickets for 40 years and have seen a few surface. Over 18,800 attended Mantle's 500th HR game in NY, which is a reasonable amount of patrons in atten, just as a referance point.

roarfrom34
02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd get that in a PSA slab as soon as you can

daves_resale_shop
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Will PSA give it a numerical grade despite it being a torn stub???

attached are some additional (better) photos of the ticket.

Thanks again for all your help!
-Dave

roarfrom34
02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Will PSA give it a numerical grade despite it being a torn stub???

attached are some additional (better) photos of the ticket.

Thanks again for all your help!
-Dave

The grade isn't as important as them certifying it's authentic (let alone getting the protection of it being encapsulated)

HRBAKER
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Yeah, if you get it slabbed you can use it as a coaster and not worry about damage to the ticket. Are there concerns about this being a legitimate ticket? Much easier and nicer to display w/o a tomb IMO.

Would make a great display with a wirephoto of him connecting or a game program.

mcgwirecom
02-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I think the last two I saw sell went for around $1500.

Streetsideguy
02-04-2013, 09:49 AM
The Mantle 500 homerun ticket is a great one. Yours is a nice one because it is a printed ticket, and not stamped. Most of the ones that PSA has graded to date, are the stamped versions. I currently own a PSA 8 stub and just sold a PSA 8 stub a few months back. I owned the two highest graded. If you get it PSA graded, I would suggest getting a numerical grade on it. If someone on the registry wants it, they will want a grade. I know the PSA 8 ticket is worth in the 4k range. It just depends on what the grade is and who might want to own it.

Jason