PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever?

z28jd
01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Have you ever decided to collect a player, only to search for his stuff and find out there really isn't much good/interesting out there. Happened twice to me in the last couple days. One was Rip Sewell, I was shocked how little there is out there for him, especially just in a Pirates uniform.

So after looking at Sewell, I said how about another great pitcher for the Pirates, Ray Kremer. Having nothing on Kremer yet, I checked ebay and found just three possibilities, two with the same exact pose(33 Goudey and Butter Cream).

I'll eventually pick up something of each, but it happened again today with another Pirates pitcher, Bill Swift. Not the pitcher from mid-80's,90's, the other one. I posted his bio in a couple places today because the Pirates traded for him on this date 81 years ago http://blogs.piratesprospects.com/history/pittsburgh-pirates-pitcher-bill-swift/

So I just checked for Swift and there is almost nothing of interest for him either! I'll probably pick up the 36 Goudey Wide Pen, because the other three choices are all portrait shots, which I'm not big on.

So then another pitcher popped in my head, Mace Brown. He is the worst of the group, 40 playball and a 36 R312 Pastel

Basically, that makes me 0-for-4 in looking for an affordable but interesting player to collect these last couple days.

Matthew H
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Ray Kremer has a bunch of Zeenut cards, although I realize you are looking for his Pirates issues.

He also has a really cool looking Walter Mails card:

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/card-profile/182000/1924-Walter-Mails-Card-Game-Ray-Kremer-Card-Value-Prices.htm

Runscott
01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, I collect Montford Cross cards.

Rob D.
01-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I collect signed index cards but have not seen any for sale lately.

z28jd
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks Matt. I was actually just checking ebay and that's all that came up for him, the Goudey, Butter Cream and an Exhibit. I'd probably be interested in a zeenut, just saw VCP doesn't have a scan of any of them though, so I'm guessing he is tough

z28jd
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes, I collect Montford Cross cards.

I could see where that would be a problem unless you like going for t206 back runs. Five cards during a 15 year career and three are really tough

Brian Van Horn
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Not for sale, but nice to look at:

z28jd
01-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Too bad you're looking to buy them, because I have about 80-90 pre-WW1 players on signed index cards I'd just give away. Refuse to sell them though, sorry :(

z28jd
01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Not for sale, but nice to look at:

Brian, very nice. Sewell played during the war years mainly, so there wasn't much to begin with, but he is absent from some big sets when he was fairly good. Not a fan of Playball or Double Play I guess despite going 16-5 in 1940.

I noticed 8x10's would be an interesting option for these players. Maybe make a display with them and some others like Cy Blanton, Bob Klinger, Russ Bauers, etc even if they are repro photos

Matthew H
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM

I have a stack of index cards, I can sign whatever you want on them.

Runscott
01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I could see where that would be a problem unless you like going for t206 back runs. Five cards during a 15 year career and three are really tough

I was kidding. I only have one item of his - National Copper Plate - and happened to have it on the table in front of me while reading your thread.

When I used to collect stuff for certain players, most of the cards were easy, so I owned all of them. Rather than go after stuff like Boston Garter cards, I expanded to items such as photos and autographs.

Matthew H
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Matt. I was actually just checking ebay and that's all that came up for him, the Goudey, Butter Cream and an Exhibit. I'd probably be interested in a zeenut, just saw VCP doesn't have a scan of any of them though, so I'm guessing he is tough

I sent you an email, did you get it?

Chris Counts
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
There are a number of very good players who played from 1937 to 1947 who aren't well-represented with cards, including Sewell, Claude Passeau, Terry Moore, Whitey Kurowski and others. For some reason, there are no active Cubs (too much competition for Wrigley Gum?) in the Play Ball sets, a definite shortage of Cardinals, and no cards of many stars (Feller, Appling, Mize, Slaughter, Boudreau, Grove, Dizzy Dean, Lombardi, etc.). Unless you like Exhibits or picture pack photos, you're often out of luck. Wartime paper shortages likely played a role as well ...

AndrewJerome
01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Kremer's 1918 Zeenut

Matthew H
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Kremer's 1918 Zeenut

Nice!

Jaybird
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Nice!

agreed!

Fred
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
John,

I was going to collect cards of a player named Larry Corcoran, but I couldn't find any of his cards that were available. I believe he was only issued in Old Judge and Gypsy Queen cards. In any case for some reason or other I just can't find any of his cards. I gave up on trying to collect his cards and went on to collect a few other players... :p

jerseygary
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
I always wanted a card of my Grandfather's pal Frankie Zak of the 1944-46 Pirates. Was on the 1944 All-Star Game but no card at all. Not even a postcard or team issue. So I made my own and then did the same for many other players who I though deserved a card.

z28jd
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
John,

I was going to collect cards of a player named Larry Corcoran, but I couldn't find any of his cards that were available. I believe he was only issued in Old Judge and Gypsy Queen cards. In any case for some reason or other I just can't find any of his cards. I gave up on trying to collect his cards and went on to collect a few other players... :p

He also has a KBats, N403 Yum Yum and an N167 card, so don't give up that search!

z28jd
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Nice!

Kremer's 1918 Zeenut

Agree with Matt! Thanks for the scan. I actually found a 1923 Zeenut that I'm going to buy thanks to this thread and help from Matt. The guy I wrote had four different years available but no 1918

bbcard1
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Not like it's a beautiful card or anything, but Mace Brown also has a 1941 Double Play.