PDA

View Full Version : Hoard of Mean Joe Greene's personal memorabilia found in warehouse

slidekellyslide
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Thought you guys would enjoy this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/sports/football/joe-greenes-keepsakes-no-longer-his.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&src=un&feedurl=http://json8.nytimes.com/pages/sports/football/index.jsonp

batsballsbases
01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the read Dan!!

CarltonHendricks
01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Quite a story, thanks for posting that Dan...Certainly marquee athletes accumulate a lot of personal mementos but that cache would have to be some of the most important of his career!...I would think Green should do what he did on the field to get that stuff back whatever it takes...But the fact he lost it all in the first place is interesting. The story is sketchy when it gets to the part about Levine contacting him....that's where it gets kind of murky....It's a fairly lengthy piece...but only one small paragraph about Green's reaction to the find that seems lacking....I sense there's more to the story.

Levine found Greene, who left the Cardinals after the 2003 season, through Dan Rooney of the Steelers. Levine said Greene wanted him to send everything to his home in Texas but did not offer to pay for the shipping. Greene, according to Headley, his representative, thought Levine was trying to sell his things to him.

BigJJ
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
If Greene did not pay the shipping, I would not ship the items to him. and I think he ought to be compensating the owner, Levine, in some fashion. Greene ought to have offered him some money, insisted on it, sent it to Levine, regardless of what Levine said. or some form of money equivalent.
How nice this man is to have reached out to Greene. and to have reached out successfully to the other player.
A number of athletes and other popularly known people I have known feel this sense of entitlement to anything and everything. We know many of them.
I do not know if such a take take take mentality is at play here, but given the successful and happy interaction regarding the other player whose items Levine found, I am inclined to believe he is a very good guy.