PDA

View Full Version : Joe Tinker portrait on ebay

823dek
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Item # 111001453723 going off today 1-28 you can see how someone clipped the corners. This is the same type of cutting corners that has been done to many cards that are in many different holders in many different grades. These cards manly in 1's 2's to me are trimmed ,why isnt there a more detection of this for accuracy ? If a card is going to be Authentic, i would rather have the full looking card , then some other issues found in cards. In no way shape or form can edges of any card round of this degree w/o being cut at some point.

The card mentioned will evetually fray to the shape and you will get a 1 grade someday when you see the fuzzies on the corners
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111001453723?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1110014 53723%26_rdc%3D1

steve B
01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
The card mentioned will evetually fray to the shape and you will get a 1 grade someday when you see the fuzzies on the corners

I have a Schulte lenox back that's had the corners clipped off.

I've owned it for about 30 years and the corners haven't changed a bit.

Steve B

Leon
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I added the link for you Dan. Yes, I agree. I find it hard to understand how some of the cards with very well rounded corners, with few creases, could exist. I mean the borders are completely deteriorated and the card doesn't look that bad otherwise. How does that happen? :eek:

823dek
01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
thanks for linking Leon ,was too tired to upload .Fingers were sweating.

823dek
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
you forgot to file them. But in saying , this is how I thinked the rounding process gets started.

Blitzu
01-28-2013, 06:03 AM
I remember talking to an old collector years back who said as a child they would snip the sharp corners off. Others bounced around a box so much that someone may have decided a cut off corner to make them look better. Some people may have even ripped the corners off instead of cutting them giving them the jagged appearance. You have to understand these were produced in the millions I believe and no one thought they'd be worth more than the paper they were printed on.

As far as the clean ones, some people actually cherished these cards and would keep them in books, and photo albums from the moment they exited the packs. Kids would hang around tobacco stores (during the times they couldn't buy them themselves) waiting for adults to exit so they could get their cards. Many of our most treasured cards that have sustained the test of time you can thank little girls for. I can't count how many times I've heard that some of these large finds came form someone's grandmothers old stuff instead of their grandpas.

There's a ton of great stories surrounding the discovery and history to these little cards and its amazing how many survived in good form.

By the way I love the orange back on that tinker. They should have done that permanently instead of the red IMHO.

lharri3600
01-28-2013, 06:31 AM
What the grade would be if all 4 corners were there?:confused: