PDA

View Full Version : I must be going crazy because I am going to try and tackle "The Monster"

cincyredlegs
01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,

I have been on the boards since 2009 but haven't posted a bunch. I mainly bought and sold cards on here. I have really started thinking about my collection and found I am not having the fun that I used too. I think there are many reasons but it seems to come down to:

1.) Having to much stuff, trying to collect to many different things and being overwhelmed.

2.) Playing the graded card game and spending more time looking at where I was on the registry than enjoying the cards. Also, spending $40 for a PSA 8 common vs $3-$4 raw.

So I am going to sell most of my collection, keep the stuff I really want and work on things that will make me happy.

I am a huge Reds fan so I will continue to fill in my gaps. I also enjoy un-opened wax/cello boxes and am going to fill in my gaps from 80-87 in all four major sports.

Lastly, I am finally ready to tackle "The Monster". I have always loved these cards. Actually, I consider them more of a piece of art than I do cardboard. I remember in the early 80's turning through albums of T206's and seeing prices of $1/card. I have several today (all Reds) and just bought a SGC 20 Moriarty from Ralph (rp12367).

I have read a lot of posts from the guys here and learned a ton from you all. I am going to focus on SGC 20-40 cards. I really don't like the cards in the PSA holders. I feel they look much much nicer and more presentable in a SGC holder. From what I have read, it seems SGC is more knowledgeble grading T206's as well (not bashing PSA).

I also have realized that I am going to have to take is slow so this obviously will be a long term project for me.

Thanks for letting me re-introduce myself and look forward to dealing with you guys and meeting you at the National this year.

Mark

jp1216
01-27-2013, 10:17 AM
I started with a Cleveland team set and went from there. Enjoy the ride.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
I am also beginning this journey. Good luck.

E93
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Have fun and good luck.
JimB

t206blogcom
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Good luck!

big80s
01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Show that beast who's boss!

Phillies*phan
01-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Welcome Mark.
When it comes to collecting t206's in low grade why not just collect them raw? You said about PSA not being as good at grading 206's as SGC but in the 20-40 range it doesn't really matter. The problems come in the higher grades where it can be a pile of money involved in one grade difference.
Why not put them in an album of tobacco pages or tobacco sized top loaders? If you ever get to 520 cards all graded by SGC those cards might weigh 40lbs and take up a lot of room.(Does anyone know how much 520 SGC holders weigh? 40lbs is just a guess)
Anyhow, you'll have fun.

edhans
01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Good advice, Doug.

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Welcome Mark.
When it comes to collecting t206's in low grade why not just collect them raw? You said about PSA not being as good at grading 206's as SGC but in the 20-40 range it doesn't really matter. The problems come in the higher grades where it can be a pile of money involved in one grade difference.
Why not put them in an album of tobacco pages or tobacco sized top loaders? If you ever get to 520 cards all graded by SGC those cards might weigh 40lbs and take up a lot of room.(Does anyone know how much 520 SGC holders weigh? 40lbs is just a guess)
Anyhow, you'll have fun.

A complete SGC set would weigh 79.1375 pounds.

cincyredlegs
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Welcome Mark.
Anyhow, you'll have fun.

Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I have actually thought about that as well. Another thing I was considering was doing the HOF's graded and the commons raw. Where is the best place to get the tobacco card pages and/or top loaders?

Mark

bbcard1
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
A complete set in toploaders can easily fit in two photo boxes.

Phillies*phan
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Nice work Frank. 79 Lbs!! That's crazy!! My album weighs about 10 lbs.
I'd have to say the best place for top loaders or 15 card Pro pages is Ebay.

conor912
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
.(Does anyone know how much 520 SGC holders weigh? 40lbs is just a guess)
Anyhow, you'll have fun.

520 x 2.4 oz. = 78 pounds

mrvster
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I too feel the T206 are like little pieces of art, I collect the printer scrap T206 and freaks...I think you made an EXCELLENT choice:D

Peace

Good Luck

Johnny V

Jlighter
01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I too feel the T206 are like little pieces of art, I collect the printer scrap T206 and freaks...I think you made an EXCELLENT choice:D

Peace

Good Luck

Johnny V

If t206s are works of art, which they are, than Freaks are Picasso's.:)

mrvster
01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
YOU GET IT!!;)

I call them picaso-esque!!

Your the man jake ! with great taste:D

jimm
01-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Ambitious indeed, I'm gonna start NY Giants myself! :thumbup:

Jlighter
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
YOU GET IT!!;)

I call them picaso-esque!!

Your the man jake ! with great taste:D

Thanks.:)

But your the one with the great taste. Your Bender ghost is just :eek:.

drmondobueno
01-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome, Mark. Yiu have just bitten off as much as you can chew, and chew, and chew...

I started my collection last year, jumping in with both feet. Started on eBay and got burned a few times, so I started buying graded cards. I liked the look of SGC, and as a consequence the vast majority f my HOFers are graded. Finally I got clued in to Net 54 and now my focus is on fillng my set with raw cards with the caveat that I buy graded HOFers. Oh yeah, I am doomed. Started picking up a few Backs here and there, marked cards from prior collectors, oddities, miscuts...it s so monstrous :) that I recently unretired to pay for this bad...err, Newly acquired sophistication:rolleyes:.

Oh yeah, some of the threads can be entertaining as wel as informative.

Good hunting!

conor912
01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Welcome, Mark. Yiu have just bitten off as much as you can chew, and chew, and chew...

I started my collection last year, jumping in with both feet. Started on eBay and got burned a few times, so I started buying graded cards. I liked the look of SGC, and as a consequence the vast majority f my HOFers are graded. Finally I got clued in to Net 54 and now my focus is on fillng my set with raw cards with the caveat that I buy graded HOFers. Oh yeah, I am doomed. Started picking up a few Backs here and there, marked cards from prior collectors, oddities, miscuts...it s so monstrous :) that I recently unretired to pay for this bad...err, Newly acquired sophistication:rolleyes:.

Oh yeah, some of the threads can be entertaining as wel as informative.

Good hunting!

Wow. Coming out of retirement to fund collecting. Now THAT is love for the hobby.

TNP777
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Mark, I agree with you about 206s in SGC holders. I wish the flip didn't look so second-rate, but the black backdrop makes smaller vintage look drop dead gorgeous. I think at some point ill send my Superbas set in for stabbing, and then I'll have my wife build some sort of a display case to hang on the wall.

Good luck tackling the Monster. You're braver by far than I am.