PDA

View Full Version : OT My postings

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Guys Just an FYI in case you havent noticed already,(lol) Im a pretty bad speller, rofl, but can do just about everything else very well but spelling just isnt my thing, so with all my posts so far and all the posts to come, here is my apology. (apology spelled correct):D

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 06:05 AM
I've noticed.:)

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 06:31 AM
I've noticed.:)

hehehe, dont expect it do get any better, if you cant figure out a word PM me any time, lolol :confused:

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 06:33 AM
I can figure them out, I just wince a little bit when I see them. Spelling takes practice and the English language isn't always easy. I used to correct bad spelling on the board and got pilloried for it, so these days I just let it go. It's an acquired skill I guess.

Ladder7
01-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Dont be intimidated by em... Its a free country damnit!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/SxE26uPDUeI/AAAAAAAAcNE/hXoPxa6G-V8/s1600/BadSpellersDontTakeMyRights.jpg

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 06:44 AM
It's an acquired skill I guess.

Very true, i can tell you i have recently learned to spell some words i previously didnt know like: Peidmont, Caporal, and Sovereign! Sovereign still messes me up though i must admit:p

smotan_02
01-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Spelling and grammar are improved through care and practice. If you don't care, it won't improve. Be aware that an army of misspelled words presents an impression about your level of intellect (whether true or not). No apology needed for an impression.

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Shouldn't the title of this thread be

"OT My pastings"?:D

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Spelling and grammar are improved through care and practice. If you don't care, it won't improve. Be aware that an army of misspelled words presents an impression about your level of intellect (whether true or not). No apology needed for an impression.

I would agree that if you dont care it wont improve, (and im just too old now to start lol) though i would disagree that misspelled words reflect at all on a persons intellect. I can tell you that i had gone to a very good private grammer school grades 1-8, a top 10 private high school, and a good private college in NYC. Most if not all my work was done on a computer , ie spell check. I have also run a few successful businesses. I never needed to really learn spelling or use it in anyway.

But i can say that a knowledge of math, business, manipulation (people skills)and logic can reflect heavilly on ones intellect.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Part of what makes spelling difficult is that even though we have rules, such as "i" before "e" except after "c", there are just as many exceptions to them. As stated, it does take practice and you do have to care. I'm a pretty good natural speller but I still always look words up in the dictionary, just to be sure. I guess today it's not as important as it once was. Texting certainly has created a new vocabulary and a new way to communicate.

steve B
01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
I would agree that if you dont care it wont improve, (and im just too old now to start lol) though i would disagree that misspelled words reflect at all on a persons intellect. I can tell you that i had gone to a very good private grammer school grades 1-8, a top 10 private high school, and a good private college in NYC. Most if not all my work was done on a computer , ie spell check. I have also run a few successful businesses. I never needed to really learn spelling or use it in anyway.

But i can say that a knowledge of math, business, manipulation (people skills)and logic can reflect heavilly on ones intellect.

Now that's fascinating. I'm from the generation just slightly older, Public school the whole way but pretty good ones. (Dad was the assistant superintendent for my High school)
I didn't run across spell check until tech school in 83. And at that time the professors told us to be sure to turn it off if we were using it. The built in library didn't have most of the technical terms and made a complete mess of anything technical since it corrected to words that were close to what we'd typed.

I have it on in Outlook now, but it still has problems with some bicycle terms, even common ones like derailleur- a fake french word that I usually replace with "derailler" largely out of respect for Sheldon Brown who was a wonderful mechanic who ran a very detailed website and died a few years ago he deliberately spelled it wrong because he hated the fake french. Spellcheck doesn't like it either, but has no problem with the deliberate mistake:)

And don't feel at all bad about Sovereign. I get that one wrong fairly often.

Steve B

Bocabirdman
01-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Part of what makes spelling difficult is that even though we have rules, such as "i" before "e" except after "c", there are just as many exceptions to them. As stated, it does take practice and you do have to care. I'm a pretty good natural speller but I still always look words up in the dictionary, just to be sure. I guess today it's not as important as it once was. Texting certainly has created a new vocabulary and a new way to communicate.

I pointed out to the powers that be, at work, that their new sign for the Receiving Dock, already installed for the world to see, was spelled incorrectly. Recieving Dock doesn't say much about a company's eye for detail, now does it?:D

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 07:43 AM
"Recieve" is one of those words that is often misspelled.

The all-time champ though, and maybe it is more of a usage problem, is the misuse of "its" and "it's". Virtually everybody gets them wrong.

Tcards-Please
01-27-2013, 07:49 AM
"Recieve" is one of those words that is often misspelled.

The all-time champ though, and maybe it is more of a usage problem, is the misuse of "its" and "it's". Virtually everybody gets them wrong.

+1

Another at the top of that list is their, there or they're.

r/
Frank

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 07:50 AM
talking about difficult words, you may not believe this but in most co-ops or condos that i sell in the bi-laws it says that you can have any velosipeds in the hallway. Now forget about even trying to spell that but i had to learn real quick(about 10 years ago) what the hell that even was. lol

Here is a link if you dont know - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.muzejnt.rs/images/dokumentacija/maticni_registar/velosiped.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.muzejnt.rs/en/213&h=480&w=640&sz=48&tbnid=Rq9btqTxgrg6UM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvelosiped%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=velosiped&usg=__Q6iTJ2-0vZVqCPyNR_8-XLI26vE=&docid=JcPuriNFPEzVZM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Bj4FUfWBJeeW0QGfy4DQCw&sqi=2&ved=0CFoQ9QEwCA&dur=252

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 07:53 AM
posted in wrong thread sry

ValKehl
01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Very true, i can tell you i have recently learned to spell some words i previously didnt know like: Peidmont, Caporal, and Sovereign! Sovereign still messes me up though i must admit:p

Methinks "Piedmont" is also still messing you up! :)
Happy collecting,
Val

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 08:01 AM
HA you were the only one to catch it! damn too long ENUFF, lol

come on guys..................rofl

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 08:04 AM
+1

Another at the top of that list is their, there or they're.

r/
Frank

Yes, "they're" and "there", as well as "you're" and "your", are next in line.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Another error I'm seeing lately, and I don't know where it comes from, goes something like this:

Singular= one pony.
Plural= a group of pony's.

Some people feel the way to pluralize a word is to add an apostrophe "s". What's that all about?

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes, "they're" and "there", as well as "you're" and "your", are next in line.

They're ewe Gogh a gain, Berry. Does syntax matter?

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 08:16 AM
They're ewe Gogh a gain, Berry. Does syntax matter?

I always poof reed my posts. It helps.

cyseymour
01-27-2013, 08:37 AM
We all have our strengths and weaknesses, but in the era of spell-check, I see no reason why one wouldn't want to make an effort to spell words properly. As they say, the art is in the presentation.

You could be perfectly correct in your opinions, but if the spelling is atrocious, it would undoubtedly detract from the point which you are trying to make. There are all sorts of grammar errors, yet there is a difference between someone who lacks the intelligence to know otherwise and someone who is smart yet lackadaisical.

No one is perfect with spelling or grammar, yet I must admit that I also reside in the camp which would rather not suffer through other people's careless mistakes and misspellings.

TNP777
01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Heh. This subject reminds me of an email my mother-in-law forwarded to me the other night. I know this has been circulating for quite a while.

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 08:58 AM
We all have our strengths and weaknesses, but in the era of spell-check, I see no reason why one wouldn't want to make an effort to spell words properly. As they say, the art is in the presentation.

You could be perfectly correct in your opinions, but if the spelling is atrocious, it would undoubtedly detract from the point which you are trying to make. There are all sorts of grammar errors, yet there is a difference between someone who lacks the intelligence to know otherwise and someone who is smart yet lackadaisical.

No one is perfect with spelling or grammar, yet I must admit that I also reside in the camp which would rather not suffer through other people's careless mistakes and misspellings.

+1
I do find many of the posts really difficult to slog through.

kcohen
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
For what it's worth, more than shoddy spelling, I find certain instances of butchered grammar much more "offensive" to the eyes and ears. For example, when someone says or writes "between you and I" or "between he and I," it's like fingernails across a blackboard.

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Hey Barry,

It looks like a lot of us are concerned about spelling errors, grammar and syntax. You have previously told me that you tire of your penchant for posting corrections. Therefore why not hold an election periodically for the position of Net54 schoolmarm, who vows to be strict and priggish, while in office. I may just throw my hat in the ring. My name is Frank:Bur:kett and I approve of this message, which has been proofread by my campaign manager.;)

MikeGarcia
01-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Jeez , talk about hitting a nerve.....two-shay.

Jlighter
01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Heh. This subject reminds me of an email my mother-in-law forwarded to me the other night. I know this has been circulating for quite a while.

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Yeah, I read it. Whats my prize?

buymycards
01-27-2013, 09:40 AM
I thought it was Sovern.

I posted this on another spelling thread even though is more of a pronunciation issue. Listen to the talking heads on any major network and listen closely. You will hear - uhlection, uhvent, etc. The e pronunciation is disappearing and is being replaced by uh. Wolf Blitzer is one of the biggest offenders.

I can't get no satisfaction.

Rick

Runscott
01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I read it. Whats my prize?

You have to do everything in your life with the same amount of attention to detail as EvilK does with his writing. That includes crossing the street during rush hour, choosing food items at a Vietnamese buffet, your personal finances, and if you are single, all decisions involving romance.

Let us no how your knew life works out four ewe.

RGold
01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/rgold/rgoldscollectionwirephotos/418353_301209753273369_138006939593652_822759_1314 429482_n.jpg

Bocabirdman
01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
I am more likely to overlook typos than poor grammer. By the time I was supposed to be taking a typing class in high school, I had discovered girls or beer or maybe reefer. Come to think of it it might have been all three. Typing was the first class of the day, so it suffered.:D

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey Barry,

It looks like a lot of us are concerned about spelling errors, grammar and syntax. You have previously told me that you tire of your penchant for posting corrections. Therefore why not hold an election periodically for the position of Net54 schoolmarm, who vows to be strict and priggish, while in office. I may just throw my hat in the ring. My name is Frank:Bur:kett and I approve of this message, which has been proofread by my campaign manager.;)

I'm all for it Frank. I would at the very least like to see people write more clearly, so I have at least some idea of what they are trying to say. And if they spell correctly, all the better. The job is yours, but you won't win any popularity contests.:)

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm all for it Frank. I would at the very least like to see people write more clearly, so I have at least some idea of what they are trying to say. And if they spell correctly, all the better. The job is yours, but you won't win any popularity contests.:)

Not without an election, and to be honest my tendencies are more piggish than priggish.:D:D:D

tbob
01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
My biggest bitch is the incorrect use of adverbs. Apparently around 1985 English teachers decided children no longer needed to concern themselves with adverbs and avoided teaching proper use of them. People have also become lazy and don't seem to care anymore.
I can catch about 40-50 a day which are improperly used if I listen to local and national news and sports shows, not to mention every day conversations
Knowing when to use "quick" or "quickly", "poor" or "poorly", "sick" or "sickly" and "good" or "well" no longer seems to matter to 98% of Americans :(

jcmtiger
01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Spelling, Grammar and writing are not taught in Schools today like they were in the "Old Days". Proud to say, I won the 5th grade Spelling Bee years ago.

And the tweeting, cell phone messaging does not help either.

With that statement, I still might spell some words wrong, so I apologize in advance.:)

Joe

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
My biggest bitch is the incorrect use of adverbs. Apparently around 1985 English teachers decided children no longer needed to concern themselves with adverbs and avoided teaching proper use of them. People have also become lazy and don't seem to care anymore.
I can catch about 40-50 a day which are improperly used if I listen to local and national news and sports shows, not to mention every day conversations
Knowing when to use "quick" or "quickly", "poor" or "poorly", "sicky" or "sickly" and "good" or "well" no longer seems to matter to 98% of Americans :(

That kind of nails it- people don't care about it anymore. Now of course there are more important things in this world than spelling and grammar, but people should keep in mind that when you post on this board, you are expecting others to read it. And I find it a struggle to read and understand poorly written posts. Sometimes I just move on to the next one because I can't make heads or tails out the one I'm reading. It's a courtesy to others to write clearly, and it doesn't hurt to take a minute to proofread before you hit the "submit" button.

Class dismissed.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Not without an election, and to be honest my tendencies are more piggish than priggish.:D:D:D

Okay, I elect Frank. Any nays? None....Frank, you're elected.

Runscott
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Old guys - it's only going to get worse. Kids have more important things to do in their lives than worry about rules, and I mean ANY rules. It could be partly a function of where I live, but the kids I know (and by 'kids', I mean anyone under 30) are only interested in playing video games, drinking and smoking. I know plenty of really intelligent young people who didn't think getting a high school degree was very important. It's cool to be a slacker. From where I am sitting right at this moment, I can look out the window and see 'cool kids' and homeless people. In many cases it's the same people, just on different parts of the same path.

In our generation this attitude generally only lasted through high school, then we had to go get a job. It was a cultural thing, and it protected us.

But back to the topic. English is devolving. Oral language started off purely as a means of communication. Written language gave it rules and thus permanence. Our youth have a distaste for rules. Any method that communicates a thought is now acceptable.

Fight dullardness: Read, write letters, do math in your head.

HRBAKER
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
That kind of nails it- people don't care about it anymore. Now of course there are more important things in this world than spelling and grammar, but people should keep in mind that when you post on this board, you are expecting others to read it. And I find it a struggle to read and understand poorly written posts. Sometimes I just move on to the next one because I can't make heads or tails out the one I'm reading. It's a courtesy to others to write clearly, and it doesn't hurt to take a minute to proofread before you hit the "submit" button.

Class dismissed.

To me a poorly written/structured/spelled post is the same as a BST listing with no price, not gonna spend much time there.
Now there is a great deal of difference in a post with a wrongly spelled word and one where you need an interpreter.

I'll also cop to be a very poor typist and get very lazy proofing before I hit send, that creates issues as well.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
It does help to proofread, but I know very few people take the time to do so. And as Scott said, people hate rules. It's a sign of the times. I actually don't mind most rules and am willing to follow them, but I was brought up in a different generation. I was in grammar and high school in the 1960's, a much different world than today.

HRBAKER
01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Barry,
I know and understand rules. I was raised with them and my kids have been too, and to the extent that they didn't like it - they were SOL.

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM

HA thats awesome - now i can reat that no problem

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 11:24 AM
You have to do everything in your life with the same amount of attention to detail as EvilK does with his writing. That includes crossing the street during rush hour, choosing food items at a Vietnamese buffet, your personal finances, and if you are single, all decisions involving romance.

Let us no how your knew life works out four ewe.

Do most people do EVERYTHING in their life with the same amount of attention? i surley dont. Some things are just more impt than others no?

calvindog
01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Nothing upsets me more than people who are lazy and shiftless with their grammar -- except people who are lazy and shiftless in their lives.

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
91 people currently vewing and 5 pages of posts in only a few hours, interesting.

buymycards
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Where did the term "non-starter" come from? Non Sequitur? I hate that term but it seems to popular at the moment.

When I hear someone say non-starter it has a negative uhffect on my uhmotions.

wazoo
01-27-2013, 11:35 AM
I always poof reed my posts. It helps.

Oh my goodness Frank, hahah.

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
There are all sorts of grammar errors, yet there is a difference between someone who lacks the intelligence to know otherwise and someone who is smart yet lackadaisical.

I would disagree with this as well. As far as lackadaisical or lazy, due to not being on top of spelling. I can only speak for my self - but for 20 years i was in the resturant business worked 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week. For the last 8 years im in Real estate and though the hours are better im always working. Im also thinking of opening another business next year and i run 2 websites and own a rental property. I would say im far from lackadaisical and but also far from a good speller, lol

I always tell my employees, its good to know what you know but its better to also know what you dont know.

wazoo
01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Old guys - it's only going to get worse. Kids have more important things to do in their lives than worry about rules, and I mean ANY rules. It could be partly a function of where I live, but the kids I know (and by 'kids', I mean anyone under 30) are only interested in playing video games, drinking and smoking. I know plenty of really intelligent young people who didn't think getting a high school degree was very important. It's cool to be a slacker. From where I am sitting right at this moment, I can look out the window and see 'cool kids' and homeless people. In many cases it's the same people, just on different parts of the same path.

In our generation this attitude generally only lasted through high school, then we had to go get a job. It was a cultural thing, and it protected us.

But back to the topic. English is devolving. Oral language started off purely as a means of communication. Written language gave it rules and thus permanence. Our youth have a distaste for rules. Any method that communicates a thought is now acceptable.

Fight dullardness: Read, write letters, do math in your head.

I'm in 10th grade and I proofread all my posts :D

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm in 10th grade and I proofread all my posts :D

Can you proof read mine too plz? ;)

drc
01-27-2013, 12:13 PM
As a former literature major and encyclopedia writer, my philosophy is if you understand what the person means, that's the majority of communication. I do 'speak proper,' but don't go all school teacher about a teenager using the word ain't because I, and everyone else, know what the kid means.

Runscott
01-27-2013, 12:20 PM
As a former literature major and encyclopedia writer, my philosophy is if you understand what the person means, that's the majority of communication. I do 'speak proper,' but don't go all school teacher about a teenager using the word ain't because I, and everyone else, know what the kid means.

...or when they drop the 'F' bomb repeatedly in public, or even at the dinner table when visiting their grandparents. They are just communicating - no biggy.

drc
01-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Forgive Scott. He lives in Belltown. On my side of town, the kids don't even know what is the F-bomb.

Runscott
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Forgive Scott. He lives in Belltown. On my side of town, the kids don't even know what is the F-bomb.

I was complaining to a friend of mine about the nasty language I hear around Belltown, and he told me that I was getting old, reminding me that my parents probably felt the same way about the language that my generation used. The main difference is that I was still held accountable and got to taste quite a bit of the old ivory bar.

tschock
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Kids (those under 30 and a gross generalization) have always had a dislike for rules. The problem today is that adults (those over 30 and another gross generalization) don't hold anyone accountable for breaking the rules, in all aspects of society. Lack of grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc are just endemic of the larger problem.

I am not the best speller, and at times have problems with grammar, but I try to proofread what I say as my job requires a good deal of technical accuracy. And to try and convey what I actually MEAN so that others can understand. My errors I catch myself doing these days are usually typing the wrong words (such as "there" instead of "they") because my brain is usually ahead of my fingers, which are many times on "auto pilot" when typing.

I myself, as others have pointed out, usually just gloss over a post/comment that isn't clear and I don't give it a second look. My feeling is that I'm not going to spend more effort in trying to understand what someone wrote than the effort they put into what they wrote in the first place.

cyseymour
01-27-2013, 01:09 PM

"Ain't" is slang, not a misspelling persay. But there is a difference between written and spoken communication, or what is considered appropriate in one environment vs. another.

I would say that in the Net54 environment, it is generally casual, and misspellings are made and accepted, but there is a general expectation that the poster at least makes an effort.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
per se:)

frankbmd
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
+1

The 'marm

byrone
01-27-2013, 01:39 PM

Trivia question

Do you know who coined the word "F-Bomb"?

EvilKing00
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
the "kid" if im not mistaken - gary carter that is, of my now pathetic met team. Boy we need help lol

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
+1

The 'marm

It's Latin, so we can cut a little slack here.

jimhopkins82
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
I tend to leave out words while I'm typing so I always proofread everything. Both my parents were teachers and made sure I understood the importance of correct grammar or tried to anyway. I'm thirty so I guess I'm in the gray area between the literate and illiterate. (Kidding)

Michael B
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
(apology spelled correct):D[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it should be "apology spelled correctly". It is an adverb as it is modifying a verb - spelled. Correct is an adjective which modifies a noun; ie. 'It is correct.'

edhans
01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
My biggest bitch is the incorrect use of adverbs..

+1

Here's a vote for "alot" as the most annoying error of all.

barrysloate
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Keep in mind that a chatboard is a pretty informal place, so there's a little more leeway here than say if you were writing an essay for the Harvard Review. All I ask is that people write clearly so that the rest of us understand what they're talking about.

MikeGarcia
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
We really should try to be a tad more understanding and forgiving , even charitable , to those posters for whom communication can be a difficult task .

For example , I'm acquainted with a member here who told me , in confidence , that he was the offspring of a dyslectic philosopher and an agnostic insomniac and thus spent his childhood lying awake wondering '' Is there a Dog ''....

steve B
01-27-2013, 05:18 PM
A few things I'll comment on all at once.

I'm probably guilty of not being understandable at times. I tend to be a bit long winded.

Evilking- I do nearly everything with attention to detail. That probably comes from training in machining/drafting, and doing jobs where missing the details had a possibility of getting someone killed or injured.

Ain't...........I have never figured out what it's supposed to be a contraction of.

While I'm not great at grammar the thing I've seen recently that bugs me is mixing tenses. As in "This bike Needs restored":mad: I've been told this is really common around Pittsburg.

By the time I was in high school I liked rules. Especially ones I could turn to my own purposes. Our school handbook specified "a note from home" was needed to excuse an absence. So I had my sister write one when I skipped school. :D Dad was less than pleased since he'd written the handbook. I had to help rewrite it over the summer.

I don't think much proofreading happens, even at places where the business is writing. Like the newspaper. So many articles have errors of spelling, or the wrong word used, or stuff that takes a few minutes to make sense.

Steve B

Fred
01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I probably would have just put "apology spelt correct" at the end of the first post, just to have some fun. :)

Cerberus
01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
but for 20 years i was in the resturant business .

Another commonly misspelled word.

calvindog
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
I would disagree with this as well. As far as lackadaisical or lazy, due to not being on top of spelling. I can only speak for my self - but for 20 years i was in the resturant business worked 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week. For the last 8 years im in Real estate and though the hours are better im always working. Im also thinking of opening another business next year and i run 2 websites and own a rental property. I would say im far from lackadaisical and but also far from a good speller, lol

I always tell my employees, its good to know what you know but its better to also know what you dont know.

I would say it's probably better for society that you're a hard worker than that you can sit on your ass all day and nitpick spelling and grammar errors. So I think you're doing ok here -- but what do I know, I'm just a patriotic taxpayer.

birdman42
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Random points that may or may not be connected:

As a professional writer and editor, I believe that my first goal is to be understood. Anything that makes the reader (or listener) work harder gets in the way. Even people who don't know/can't explain/don't give a s*** about the rules can identify them in received language. Try explaining proper use of the en dash. It's more arcane than the infield fly rule. But when readers see it they know what it signifies.

When people write/speak and it's clear they're not even trying, it's like a big FU to the audience. EK, after reading your posts I can't imagine it's your intent, but it can come across that way. Using proper grammar and learning to spell are like good table manners. You can get the job done (writing, eating) without such things, but those around you will thank you for the effort.

So here are some writing tips for those of you who are interested. Baby steps.

Start every sentence with a capital letter.
Use apostrophes where they're appropriate.
Take 20 seconds after you finish writing before you hit the "Submit" button.

Good luck, and God bless.

Bill (not looking to succeed Barry or Frank)

EvilKing00
01-28-2013, 04:28 AM
writer and editor...i c. (see) as the writer you can express all your thoughtfull and colorfull immages in your head on the page, but wearing 2 (two) hats, as the editor you must then (or at the same time) check your dotted i's and crossed t's. Its really two different all together mind sets.

As a professional editor (lets just say you werent a writer, as alot of folks are just one or the other) where would a good editor be with out a creative writer who spells the same word differently on the same page 3 different times?

When i started this thread i was just pointing out that i know i make spelling mistakes and will probably continue to do so. As well as offering an apology to those who may be irked by it. I wasnt trying to start a 10 page thread on this topic, as i have read through the forum this isnt the 1st time its come up. ugh, maybe we can get back to baseball soon...... this spelling stuff is so boaring.

sdkammeyer
01-28-2013, 04:58 AM
ugh, maybe we can get back to baseball soon...... this spelling stuff is so boaring.

+1

but ...... "boaring" is actually "boring".

sorry man .... i had to do it :) :)
much love

Bocabirdman
01-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Aside from the obvious reason that draws all of us to this board, one of the great pleasures I get here is the opportunity to flex my vocabulary. Words and phrases that one simply cannot use in everyday life can be interjected into a written post. At work, I often find myself mired in meetings with a roomful of college graduates and I get the "deer in the headlights" look should I slide too far down the list of word choices. I, also, am asked to write "How to" instructions for the computer operators across the company, on occaision. I was instructed to "dumb it down" after using "ergo" in one such paper recently. Posting here liberates a body.

That being said, I try and remember that everyone's grasp of words and grammar is different. Holier than thou I ain't. I may point out a mistake to someone who has skills and will not be insulted by my telling him. However, if I do not know the writer and his abilities, I will forgive and refrain from saying anything. People didn't join this board to have their wordsmanship critiqued. It's all about the cardboard.:D

tonyo
01-28-2013, 06:14 AM
I wasnt trying to start a 10 page thread on this topic,

Hi EK,
Being relatively new, you may not realize that there is a setting somewhere (sorry I can't remember where now) that allows more posts per page.
Maybe you were exaggerating for effect, but if not... this thread is still only one page for me. :) Just trying to help.

Tony

p.s. To anyone except EK :D: did I use effect properly? That one always corn-fuses me.

frankbmd
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE]........I may point out a mistake to someone who has skills and will not be insulted by my telling him ...........[QUOTE] Bocabirdman

Shouldn't the schoolmarm be immune from your insults?

Now back to baseball, did you know that Moe Berg once shared a jug of sake (the two syllable version) with Babe Ruth in Japan?

Rob D.
01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Now back to baseball, did you know that Moe Berg once shared a jug of sake (the two syllable version) with Babe Ruth in Japan?

Oh, for goodness' sake.

MikeGarcia
01-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Oh, for goodness' sake.
Capital O ouch.

EvilKing00
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
lmao - ok just one more on the Spelling thing - you have to see this if you have read any of this 1 page OR 10 page thread! - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/mlb.uniform.misspellings/content.1.html

cyseymour
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
I would say it's probably better for society that you're a hard worker than that you can sit on your ass all day and nitpick spelling and grammar errors. So I think you're doing ok here -- but what do I know, I'm just a patriotic taxpayer.

So are you saying that people who care about spelling are unpatriotic tax evaders who sit on their asses all day?

Michael B
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Since this particular thread turned into a grammar/spelling thread I though the members would find this amusing. I was cruising on ebay and saw this particular item. I was not interested in it, but I sometimes look at signed items when I am familiar with the signature to see if I think it is real or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ted-Nugent-State-Of-Shock-Signed-Autographed-LP-Vinyl-Album-Uncle-Ted-/200886899934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec5cad4de.

I read the ‘COA” of this person who calls himself ‘Theautographexpert’ with a 50 feedback. Please stop laughing. No, really. To quote: “T.A.E. has put allot of work into bringing you.. blah blah blah. I dropped him a note letting him know that his COA would have more credibility if he did not have a misspelling in it. I prefer misspelling rather than grammatical error. He said he was reporting me to ebay for harassment and challenging his credibility. To bastardize a Kinky Friedman book title / quote – ‘You can lead a dumbass to water, but you can’t make him think.’ I like to drop notes to sellers who list unidentified signatures or have similar minor mistakes that may help them. Everyone, to a fault, is appreciative. Then you get some knucklehead like this.

RCMcKenzie
01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
My understanding of the autograph market is that one cert is as good as another. In the end you must do your own due diligence.

I got this from Mill Creek sports on ebay...

calvindog
01-29-2013, 07:55 AM
So are you saying that people who care about spelling are unpatriotic tax evaders who sit on their asses all day?

LOL. More like the other way around.