PDA

View Full Version : Nellie Fox and LBJ??? Autos???

aelefson
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi-
Sorry for the odd title. I recently acquired a small autograph lot at a local ephemera show and this sheet was included with it. It is a 1967 Houston Astros Spring Numerical Roster. There are several autographs on it but two stood out to me. One was a Nellie Fox. However, an admittedly quick Google search only uncovered autographs showing his full name. Also, the autographs did not appear to be similar to this one (although I saw several with a T/F they were in cursive). Is this a legitimate Nellie Fox autograph?

Much more unlikely is the second signature that stood out to me. It looks like Lyndon B Johnson. However, it does not appear to match to other examples I found (again through a quick Google search). I also tried searching baseball reference to see if there were any players named Lyndon (or Lydon) B Johnson but I could not find any. Is this a legitimate LBJ autograph? If not, any ideas on who it is? Or, was someone having a little fun?

For what its worth, it appears there are definitely genuine autographs on the sheet including Bob Aspromonte and Jim Busby. Any help anyone could provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

RichardSimon
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Somebody was having fun with the Fox and Johnson autographs.
No way they are good.

jgmp123
01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Gabby Hartnett looks good though....

Jay Wolt
01-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Somebody was having fun with the Fox and Johnson autographs.
No way they are good.
Agree w/ Richard.
Here's my Nellie Fox for comparison

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/81789454.jpg

MooseDog
01-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Gabby Hartnett looks good though....

Uh, that's Grady Hatton...

Scott Garner
01-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Uh, that's Grady Hatton...

;)

aelefson
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys! I assumed it was too good to be true, and I bought the lot not even knowing the sheet was in there so I am not out any money as a result. It is really an odd piece, and I got excited with the possibility of Hartnett, however, Grady Hatton makes much more sense. Thank you all again.

Alan