PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Grading Question

deken
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I have a Cobb T206 that I want to get graded. I am going to sell the card (I have another ungraded one that I am going to keep). Is there any advantage to using PSA over BVG in this situation? I have never got a T206 graded, so I am not sure which way to go.

Also, any ideas on the grade it might get? I know the scans aren't great. The upper right corner is a little round, and the back is a bit off centered. Other than that it is a really clean card.

Thanks

Bpm0014
01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Great looking card! Although the scans are somewhat small, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it looks trimmed on the bottom. I hope I'm wrong though.

E93
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Gorgeous card! T206 in a PSA holder will get a much higher price than BVG! That is a strong mid-grade (ex-ish ) card and there are a lot of PSA registry collectors who would jump on it.
JimB
P.S. If the asking price is still $5, I'll take it. I'll even pay $100 for shipping.

deken
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I belong to PSA so that is the route I will go. If it comes back trimmed I may take you up on your offer  I will let you know how it grades, I am going to drop it off in person at the Long Beach show on Feb 7. A 5 would be nice!

t206hound
01-25-2013, 07:22 AM
I don't know about PSA, but SGC would subtract heavily for the apparent paper loss on the back to the left of the "C" in Cigarettes

tiger8mush
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
IMO, if the card gets a low grade (or Authentic), I think it would sell for a similar price whether PSA or BVG. The higher the grade, the more it'll likely sell for in a PSA holder as PSA's registry attracts higher grade collectors.

On a side note, if you wanted the protection of a holder, I'd go with BVG. The inner plastic sleeve does a MUCH better job of protecting the card from movement and the outer shell is thicker. Of course asthetically the thicker case is considered less appealing so ... to each his own.

Good luck, its a beautiful card!
Rob
:)

Leon
01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
IMO, if the card gets a low grade (or Authentic), I think it would sell for a similar price whether PSA or BVG. The higher the grade, the more it'll likely sell for in a PSA holder as PSA's registry attracts higher grade collectors.

On a side note, if you wanted the protection of a holder, I'd go with BVG. The inner plastic sleeve does a MUCH better job of protecting the card from movement and the outer shell is thicker. Of course asthetically the thicker case is considered less appealing so ... to each his own.

Good luck, its a beautiful card!
Rob
:)

+1. If I had to choose, registry aside, to buy a high grade card and it were to be in a PSA holder or BVG holder, I would pick BVG all day long and twice on Sunday. I am biased but, that or not, I think they have better quality control. I don't dislike PSA, I just think BVG does a better job..where pre-war vintage is concerned. This card is not going to be high enough grade for the registry to come into play either. Just my 2 cents....

deken
01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
I have looked closely at the spot on the back by the "c" in cigarettes. It doesn't appear to be paper loss but more of just a break in the red line. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks

Jaybird
01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I have looked closely at the spot on the back by the "c" in cigarettes. It doesn't appear to be paper loss but more of just a break in the red line. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks

If you have a loop, you can usually see with 10X power if the surface is the same as surrounding surface or has a little divot from paper loss. Naked eye is sometimes difficult to tell. Even a magnifying glass could probably give you what you need.

mwilliams
01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
No disrespect whatsoever, but are you 100% sure the card is real? Something about the front scan looks funky to me. Just my gut feeling...and yes, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night :)

Mike

sycks22
01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
CSA would grade it a 9 :eek: Nice card. I'd go with SGC though (not an option, but I think the best option)

chaddurbin
01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
No disrespect whatsoever, but are you 100% sure the card is real? Something about the front scan looks funky to me. Just my gut feeling...and yes, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night :)

Mike

i see what mike is talking about, the color is kinda washed out but i think that's just the scan. the back you can loupe to see if it's paper loss or print break. should be fairly easy to tell on a mark that big. otherwise it's a strong card and i don't think it's trimmed at all.

i will be at the long beach show, if you need a self-appointed prewar expert (me) to look it over i will gladly do so before you submit it.

deken
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks again for all of the feedback, and I don't take any comments personally, I appreciate the feedback. I am pretty sure the card is real (I have other T206's and this looks no different), but we will see.
I will be at the LB show Thursday afternoon, so would like your input (chad) if you are going to be there.

chaddurbin
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks again for all of the feedback, and I don't take any comments personally, I appreciate the feedback. I am pretty sure the card is real (I have other T206's and this looks no different), but we will see.
I will be at the LB show Thursday afternoon, so would like your input (chad) if you are going to be there.

sorry will be there saturday for the magic johnson signing :)

and yes psa will net you a higher price than bvg since you're selling. $35/5 day express service. sgc is fine also, they currently have a $30 special next day. if you're unsure if the mark is paper loss stick with psa, they're more lenient on back paper loss.

Bridwell
01-26-2013, 04:17 PM
I'd go with PSA. As long as it's not trimmed, it could get a PSA 4. The card would sell for over $1000. Nice card.