PDA

View Full Version : If you had $5k and a 30 day time table ......

sdkammeyer
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Obviously there is no right answer here, but the thread about "What kind of collector are you" got me thinking..... so let's take it a little further.......

If you were given $5,000 and roughly a 30 day time table to make a profit off that 5k in the baseball card industry what would you do?

Over the last couple of months I have had a great time buying up smaller lots, keeping a card or 2 for my personal collection, and then flipping them to recoup my investment. This is definitely not a profitable endeavor, and I am not really expecting great profit, but it has given me a chance to meet some GREAT people, and also have in my hands (if even for a short time) some cards that I might not normally have....... plus I get a card or 2 for my own collection off of each lot :)

So let's assume you had 5k to do anything you wanted, what would you do to make an attempt at turning a profit? Would you......

--Seek out 1 high dollar card at a great price and flip it?
--Buy a $5,000 lot of tobacco cards (since they are hot right now) and flip them?
--Buy a wax case of something and send in the best cards to be graded and resell?
--Purchase a lot of good conditioned raw vintage, send them in for grading and resell?

There are many many more options out there ....... but what would you do?

39special
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
I would try some prospect cards.Maybe some 1/1's,autos,or game used.

D. Bergin
01-24-2013, 07:30 PM
The 30 day window may the the most problematical in the equation. If you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket and you are looking to find something quickly to flip, most often that will work against you.

Best case scenario, you hold onto that 5 grand until the right deal comes along, and then you have it when you need it.

Patience is the key. It's those time when you're NOT looking for something to flip, that something is more then likely to fall in your lap.

Personally, I'd look more at memorabilia and vintage photos, more then cards. More room to move. Not as liquid but more flexible in pricing. Better long term flip IMO. Then again if you're looking at the short term, it could end up biting you in the ass.

Sean1125
01-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Go around buying as many sets and partial sets as possible - have contacts that get better than usual pricing on certain items and trade them those for something you get solid pricing on. Also buy low to mid grade 50's and 60's HoF in lots and sell individually.

EvilKing00
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
yea that 30 day window is tuff as patience is very key, but i look for tcards and ruth cards. pretty much what i really do. Except i dont sell them i just buy.

probstein123
02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
buy autos without coa's , get coa's and flip them fast, not sure if this can be done in 30 days though

Paul S
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Going strictly by your four choices I would go for the first. I can get a beaut of a card for 5K that someone would surely want-- and I only have 1 card to flip.
Second choice, more cards to flip and can't be sure I could get rid of them all within 30 days.
Last two choices, turn around time in getting them graded cuts down on time to flip.

Wymers Auction
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I would purchase the best 1958 Topps set I could find. I have had really good luck flipping this set.