PDA

View Full Version : BST etiquette question

KLSDAD
01-24-2013, 04:35 AM
I have a 48L Ruth and a 48B Berra listed. Not knowing their values, I first solicited offers. After receiving emails and PMs as well as researching eBay I came up with an asking price.

Now that I have a couple of offers I'm thinking of posting them and giving 24 hours for any higher offers.

Does anyone consider that improper for any reason? How about privately telling others what the best offer is?

Blackie
01-24-2013, 04:41 AM
I see no reason why that is bad "pratice". This board is very fair and a majority of the people are fair and honest.

EvilKing00
01-24-2013, 04:54 AM
negoations is whats its about:D

sdkammeyer
01-24-2013, 05:04 AM
I'll start the bidding at $25 for the pair :)

Sean1125
01-24-2013, 06:48 AM
I have a 48L Ruth and a 48B Berra listed. Not knowing their values, I first solicited offers. After receiving emails and PMs as well as researching eBay I came up with an asking price.

Now that I have a couple of offers I'm thinking of posting them and giving 24 hours for any higher offers.

Does anyone consider that improper for any reason? How about privately telling others what the best offer is?

I find nothing wrong with saying "this is my highest offer, if nothing exceeds it in 24 hours I will take it" just keep in mind the person might want to redact the offer if you do that.

Also just as a side note... You are using an auction that has not even ended, and an ended graded auction to price your raw card... Don't do that, if your card is not graded don't use graded cards to judge its price. Just as an example, you're double the price of a better condition card that was purchased 2 days ago... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-BOWMAN-6-YOGI-BERRA-ROOKIE-EX-B9171-/150897064108?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23222a78ac

PSA 7's of that card sell for $600-800, there is no way that raw card is getting $600... I am not saying this to be rude, I am just being realistic with you.

Re-edit to be less offensive as that is not my intention.

Leon
01-24-2013, 06:48 AM
As long as you communicate, and communicate some more....and keep the deal transparent and fair, then there is no reason not to be able to do anything you want to on the BST. Depending on how you want to do it, as it's up to you, if I were doing it and had a price in mind after soliciting offers, I would go to the highest offer person and offer it to them first at the price I had in mind. IF they didn't want it then I would go to the next highest guy and offer it at my price....if no one accepted, who originally offered, then I would just put it out there with my asking price....remember to discuss payment options and shipping and handling charges too. Be careful and ask for references if need be. Caveat emptor....

Clutch-Hitter
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
The ebay listing you used as an estimate for your Leaf Ruth, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Leaf-Ba...item43b52d7b26, was either a fluke, a rare variation of sorts (collectors of this set see and comment on odd variations), or the result of weird bidding. A PSA 1 Ruth, especially with a mark qualifier, is a 300.00 card at most (unless it's ex-mt with a pin hole or something). Your card is nicer than 300.00, but with the marking on back, it's no more than a 500.00 card IMO. I've been watching prices on the Leaf Ruth for several years. At one time, I owned a very nice PSA 2, without a qualifier, and sold it for 475.00 in buy it now format. Again, it was a 2, but it was one of those nice 2's that makes one wonder how it got that grade to start with.

Having said that, you have a nice card there and I wish you the best of luck.

vintagetoppsguy
01-24-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it, but personally I stay away from the "Taking Offers" listings. To me, if someone has a card they want to sell, then they need to determine a price and ask for that amount.

If you want to shoot high and negotiate down then that is one thing, but I would hate to think I lost out on a card because someone else's offer was $5 more than me.

It just seems to me like the "taking offers" listings are a way for someone to squeeze as much out of you as they can. Either come up with an asking price or put it up for auction and let the market determine the value. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

KLSDAD
01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
I find nothing wrong with saying "this is my highest offer, if nothing exceeds it in 24 hours I will take it" just keep in mind the person might want to redact the offer if you do that.

Also just as a side note... You are using an auction that has not even ended, and an ended graded auction to price your raw card... Don't do that, if your card is not graded don't use graded cards to judge its price. Just as an example, you're double the price of a better condition card that was purchased 2 days ago... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-BOWMAN-6-YOGI-BERRA-ROOKIE-EX-B9171-/150897064108?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23222a78ac

PSA 7's of that card sell for $600-800, there is no way that raw card is getting $600... I am not saying this to be rude, I am just being realistic with you.

Re-edit to be less offensive as that is not my intention.

Thanks for all of the comments. No offense taken on this one.... thanks for editing it though !:D

I understand not comparing raw and graded prices although I think that distinction is less important with a Poor-marked card.

The card linked above looks like it has some damage on the left border to me. I think I do need to rescan my Berra at a typical size and with a dif color background. The bright white brings out more yellowing than it should. I did just reduce the asking price though.

Another post suggested that some may fell BST isn't the place for "auctions". I can understand that and will fall back on my ignorance.

drc
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't post others' offers, but it's fine to mention them in a private communication.

I'm not saying it's unethical, but as a potential buyer I don't like being a pawn in negotiations and will back out if my offer is posted.

chaddurbin
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't post others' offers, but it's fine to mention them in a private communication.

I'm not saying it's unethical, but as a potential buyer I don't like being a pawn in negotiations and will back out if my offer is posted or if the back-and-forth negotiation takes to long. I usually give the buyer one or two counter offer and that's enough. A Donald Trump negotiation I am not.

i wouldn't want my offer to be the baseline for getting a better offer...i would IMMEDIATELY retract the offer if that's the case. might as well put it up for auction then. the forum's bst has been getting some very fair prices imo, w/o the fees.

drc
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
I add that if it's an auction, the high bidder (including if it was me) would assume his bid amount would be posted. Different situation.

Rob D.
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
i wouldn't want my offer to be the baseline for getting a better offer...i would IMMEDIATELY retract the offer if that's the case. might as well put it up for auction then.

Exactly.

conor912
01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
i wouldn't want my offer to be the baseline for getting a better offer...i would IMMEDIATELY retract the offer if that's the case. might as well put it up for auction then. the forum's bst has been getting some very fair prices imo, w/o the fees.

yeah man. Straight sale or auction. You can't have both.

Leon
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
yeah man. Straight sale or auction. You can't have both.

Actually, you can do whatever you want to. That is the beauty of the BST. As long as you communicate what you are doing and treat everyone fairly, then no worries. I personally won't screw around with best offer items but to each their own. Also, I never said people should be disclosing private offers but again, there really isn't a rule against it, besides it not being too cool. If you want to take offers you should consider putting a fairly high price then saying OBO..Please always let me know of issues over there. Sometimes where there is smoke there can be lots of fire......Good luck!!