PDA

View Full Version : bob koehler collection info

esd10
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
i have been offered american association photos and programs from the mid 1920's to the 1950's mainly from the the columbus senators and toledo mudhens and they where from his collection. can anyone tell me who he was? what he has to do with the american association?

sayhey24
01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
I never heard of him before, but a quick google search shows that Bob Koehler was a historian who wrote one book and was an avid memorabilia collector who specialized in the American Association. He passed away in 2008 at the age of 67.

Greg

oaks1912
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Bob was a longtime Wisconsin based collector and exhibited at most of the National Conventions until his untimely death a few years ago. He was also an active participant in SABR. His specialty was Milwaukee baseball history (American Association to Braves) but dabbled in quite a few areas of the hobby. Always a pleasure to talk with and deal with.

Tony Gordon
01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Bob Koehler was a school teacher by day, card and sports memorabilia dealer for decades on nights and weekends. He was a regular dealer at the monthly Gonzaga show in Milwaukee and is a member of the Wisconsin Sports Collectors Association Hall of Fame.

After he died, his widow was kind enough to invite a select few Wisconsin and Illinois dealers to purchase Bob's inventory/collection. I was lucky to attend but only saw a small portion of his inventory, which was impressive in itself. I purchased what I could. His widow also set up once at Gonzaga after Bob's death, largely selling publications. The bulk of Bob's collection, including a large number of pre-war items, was sold at subsequent Mastro auctions.

spec
01-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Just want to second Mark's sentiments. Bob Koehler was a mainstay of the hobby in the 1970s and 80s who made significant contributions to our knowledge about Wisconsin regional issues as well the history of baseball through his SABR research. And, like Mark, Bob was a prince of a fellow to boot.

SteveMitchell
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Bob was a longtime Wisconsin based collector and exhibited at most of the National Conventions until his untimely death a few years ago. He was also an active participant in SABR. His specialty was Milwaukee baseball history (American Association to Braves) but dabbled in quite a few areas of the hobby. Always a pleasure to talk with and deal with.

Mark M. got it right (as usual). Bob Koehler was a great guy who regularly had interesting stuff at his table and always had time to discuss one thing or another. I miss him - along with a number of other "old-timers".

milkit1
01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
I bought my very first 1933 goudey off bob in the 80s :)

effe
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I miss Bob and the "give it a good home" he added to every purchase. I first met him at the early WSCA shows at Federation Hall in the mid 70's.

Bob's book
http://www.amazon.com/American-Association-Milwaukee-Brewers-Baseball/dp/0738532754