PDA

View Full Version : N172 Anson (In Uniform)

honus94566
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
According to the OJ book, there are 3 known examples. From my searches on the net it looks like the actual number may be 4-5.

One was sold for 66K back in 2001, that is the most recent public sale I have been able to find. The vintagecardprices sale record is blank.

Just curious if anyone is aware of a more recent sale than the 2001? Not that I could afford it, but I wonder what an auction of that card would bring in today's market.

oldjudge
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
There are four known copies, three in private hands and one at the Met. The last sale is the one you mentioned which took place in Lew Lipset's auction.

GaryPassamonte
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Jay- How many copies would you estimate there to be for a particular pose of a "common" player.

ctownboy
01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
If an authentic one of these came up for sale today don't you think it would HAVE to be a card that sells for more than $1 million dollars?

I mean, when I think of cards that sell for huge sums of money they tend to be of Hall of Fame players that have low population numbers.

So, Cap Anson = Hall of Fame player. Check.

Not many of these cards known to exist. Check.

From a popular set. Check.

On top of all of that, the card is 125 years old and I would not expect many more to come out of the woodwork. I mean, this card has been a known rarity for years and people have collected Old Judge cards for years and have been looking for this so if a large number haven't been found by now I doubt there will be very many found in the future.

David

sycks22
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't know about a million, but high 6 figures for sure. I hope one pops up in the next couple years. It's crazy that this card shows up less than the Baltimore News Ruth's.

bcbgcbrcb
01-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I think it should be somewhere in the $200K - $250K range but if two OJ collectors with "unlimited funds" both want it really bad, the sky's the limit.........

barrysloate
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
More than 250K, less than a million. Certainly 500K or more is a reasonable guess. But who knows, in the end it's about bidders.

oldjudge
01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I have heard a well heeled collector say that he would be happy to pay $750k for a copy, but who knows. Talk is cheap.