PDA

View Full Version : Help Valuing a T206 - Frank Smith Chicago/Boston Card

gregstarling
01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I took a chance and picked up a card that looked good to me. It's not what I collect so I'm looking to move it, but I have no idea how to value it. I had thought about putting it on eBay with a high BIN and take offers, but I don't even know what "high" means for this card. The VCP is all over the place and the card just doesn't show up enough to have any meaningful trend. I would just run an auction, but I'm not sure the card shows up enough for the right couple of people to see it. Any help putting some kind of value for the card is greatly appreciated.

T206 Sweet Caporal Frank Smith Chicago / Boston
Series 350-460 Factory 42 Overprint (Factory 30 Showing)
PSA 4 that displays very well

Scanner was a bit fuzzy so in addition to scanner pics also added actual camera photos that give a better feel for the actual crispness of the text and colors.

http://thecoordinator.com/ebay/FrankFront.jpg
http://thecoordinator.com/ebay/FrankBack.jpg
http://thecoordinator.com/ebay/FrankStandUpBack.jpg
http://thecoordinator.com/ebay/FrankStandUpFront.jpg

RCMcKenzie
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I used to have a cycle 460 that I bought and sold for peanuts 10 years ago.

You should run an auction in bst. The mods could move this over there or leave it here. I'll start the bidding at $100

Matthew H
01-22-2013, 10:49 PM
VCP has tons of data for that card. Are you sure you looked deep enough?

RCMcKenzie
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
JustCollect sold a PSA 4 Polar Bear on ebay 2 weeks ago for 188.59. SC missed overstrike may sell for more...

gregstarling
01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
VCP has tons of data for that card. Are you sure you looked deep enough?

I dug through all the Chicago / Boston variations, didn't really see any kind of recent sales that would lend itself to helping price the card. I could have missed it though - are you seeing this card with this variation there?

sdkammeyer
01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Are we bidding?

$150

gregstarling
01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
JustCollect sold a PSA 4 Polar Bear on ebay 2 weeks ago for 188.59. SC missed overstrike may sell for more...
The polar bear is twice as common as the Sweet Caporal and this card displays quite a bit better. I think it looks closer to the Old Mill albeit is a PSA 5 (about the same overall pop 15 SC vs 16 OM) that sold for $780.

gregstarling
01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Are we bidding?

$150

no please - didn't want to turn it into that kind of thread. I'm new to tabacco so I'm just looking for help valuing it. If it makes sense, I'll move this over to the B/S/T board, but for now I'd like to figure value.

RCMcKenzie
01-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Greg,

These "two factory number" cards don't really have an established value. You could consign to sterling or b&l and the 'right people' would see it. I'm not going any higher than 275 fwiw, but I don't really collect the t206 error stuff unless I get a good deal on it.

Runscott
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I sold a bunch of them (2 factories showing) on ebay and did not receive a premium (ask Leon :()

I would love; however, for them to have a premium - I still have a bunch left.

gregstarling
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I sold a bunch of them (2 factories showing) on ebay and did not receive a premium (ask Leon :()

I would love; however, for them to have a premium - I still have a bunch left.
I'm not so worried about the 2 factories showing as I'm curious what this type of card would go for. I know PSA has only graded 15 of these with the Sweet Caporal back so it's tough to get a good idea on value. I'm thinking about running a 99 cent auction and just seeing, but I don't know. Really looking for advice.

Runscott
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm not so worried about the 2 factories showing as I'm curious what this type of card would go for. I know PSA has only graded 15 of these with the Sweet Caporal back so it's tough to get a good idea on value. I'm thinking about running a 99 cent auction and just seeing, but I don't know. Really looking for advice.

When I run a card auction like you are describing, it's 'usually' to get rid of a card that's been sitting in my store too long - I have no expectations of recouping my costs.

A better bet for this one would be consigning to an auction house that specializes in this sort of thing ($200+ single cards).

wolf441
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I agree that going with an auction house (Sterling, B&L and LOTG are all good choices) that specialize in this type of card will probably maximize value. That said, starting at .99 on ebay, I'd guess that you could expect somewhere around $225-$275. It's a fairly rare version (CHI & BOS) in a decent grade and with an unusual missed over-strike back.

Steve

gregstarling
01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, I decided to roll the dice and put it on eBay. Appreciate the advice.