PDA

View Full Version : Rip Collins and Clemente autographs.

toyman55
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I bought an old Ford Frick baseball some years ago with Rip Collins and two other somewhat readable autographs. I am curious if anyone can tell me who the other two are and maybe the value of the ball.

I also purchased in 2005 a Roberto Clemente autograph off Ebay and had a quick opinion come back saying it fell within the parameters of his autograph. Being somewhat more experienced now than in 2005 I have my doubts on it and would love an opinion before I frame it.

Thanks guys,
Shale

docpatlv
01-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi Shale,

I can only comment on the Clemente, IMO I don't think it's legitimate. There are a lot of this style of Clemente signature that were passed 10-15 years ago by TPAs. I have collected Clemente for about twenty years and I remember having a conversation with a fellow Clemente collector in regards to a man named Dorsey who was signing some of Clemente's mail back in the day. When I was green, I had the misfortune of purchasing a couple of autographs that strongly resemble the one that you posted. Unfortunately for the both of us, I think we have Dorsey signed items.

Mike

gashouse34
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Apologize for bringing to life an old thread but just wanted to add that one of the signatures on your Collins ball is Tex Carleton...in case you hadn't figured it out yet. Both Collins and Carleton look spot on with examples i've seen imo.

GrayGhost
06-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't like Bobby either

toyman55
06-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks, I would have never caught that. The autographs are so faint they are hard to see. The collins was the best for clarity. Now if only that Clemente had been real!

rhettyeakley
06-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Bill Lee is the other signature.

toyman55
06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Wow! thank you Rhett and Brandon. I really appreciate your efforts. I was going to sell the ball but now, I am going to keep it.