PDA

View Full Version : Share your unusual tips/tricks for analyzing an autograph for authenticity

markf31
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Some very common methods get repeated in the threads here when people ask for help in trying to authenticate a signature. The formation of certain letters, breaks between specific letters, shakiness or evidence of an unsteady hand. Does anyone have any unique observation types that aid them in their assessments?

For me I find one of the most useful, and surprisingly simple methods is to turn the signature and analyze it upside down against a known genuine. Often times our brains get into a habit of looking at and processing data a certain way and we’re never aware of it. This breaks your brain’s habits and lets you see the signature in a completely different light. Nuances that were not noticed before in a signature suddenly jump off the page at you.

JimStinson
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
What usually works for me is to turn the SELLER of a fake autograph upside down and shake vigorously. This is an especially effective method when utilized from the top of a tall building or other edifice.

thecatspajamas
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
What usually works for me is to turn the SELLER of a fake autograph upside down and shake vigorously. This is an especially effective method when utilized from the top of a tall building or other edifice.

Thank you for the best laugh I've had all morning :):D:p:):D:p

isaac2004
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Be sure to pick up any dropped coins as well, that is key.

Scott Garner
01-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Awesome, Jim!! :D

Runscott
01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
First, I look to see if it's supposed to be 'Babe Ruth'. If so, then there's a 99% chance it's a fake. Try to beat that success rate!

I'll be playing with Max Thursday-Saturday for the next three weeks. But I don't recommend the veal.

Marckus99
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Lol, Jim...nice.

shelly
01-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Jim, I always find in funny that there is always someone that has to step on a great line to make it seem that they thought of it.:confused:

Runscott
01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Jim, I always find in funny that there is always someone that has to step on a great line to make it seem that they thought of it.:confused:

Shelly, we're all just trying to have fun. Join us.

GrayGhost
01-22-2013, 07:29 AM
The only issue w analyzing it carefully against a known genuine is that NOBODY signs EXACTLY the same every time.

That said, I have learned it is so much more important to study and make your own good judgment, than rely on others. Not always easy tho.

prewarsports
01-22-2013, 09:03 AM
I actually sometimes turn them upside down too, but not compared with a real one just all by itself. In that situation you arent looking at the "autograph" so much as the way it flows and slants when it is upside down. Funny, I didn't really know anyone else did this but more than once I have discovered something that just didn't feel right when doing this.

The other thing to do (which sounds basic) is to look at the pressure points. A person actually signing an autograph with have spots of hard and soft pressure with the pen or pencil, someone trying to duplicate it will have a more consistant line all the way through. Even if you dont know the actual signature off the top of your head (due to scarcity) its a good way to feel comfortable if everything else checks out if you can tell whoever signed it actually "signed" it rather than drew it on there.

Lastly, I am always a bit leary when a key autograph in on an album page is in pencil and its the bottom autograph on a sheet. There are thousands of pages with some space at the bottom where someone could throw a Mell Ott or Babe Ruth at the bottom and with pencil you dont have to worry about matching ink colors or anything like that. Not to say they are all fake, but I would be more careful with those than say a Mel Ott who is completely sandwiched by Harry Danning and Gus Mancuso!

Just a few random thoughts

Rhys

JimStinson
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
I actually sometimes turn them upside down too, but not compared with a real one just all by itself. In that situation you arent looking at the "autograph" so much as the way it flows and slants when it is upside down. Funny, I didn't really know anyone else did this but more than once I have discovered something that just didn't feel right when doing this.

The other thing to do (which sounds basic) is to look at the pressure points. A person actually signing an autograph with have spots of hard and soft pressure with the pen or pencil, someone trying to duplicate it will have a more consistant line all the way through. Even if you dont know the actual signature off the top of your head (due to scarcity) its a good way to feel comfortable if everything else checks out if you can tell whoever signed it actually "signed" it rather than drew it on there.

Lastly, I am always a bit leary when a key autograph in on an album page is in pencil and its the bottom autograph on a sheet. There are thousands of pages with some space at the bottom where someone could throw a Mell Ott or Babe Ruth at the bottom and with pencil you dont have to worry about matching ink colors or anything like that. Not to say they are all fake, but I would be more careful with those than say a Mel Ott who is completely sandwiched by Harry Danning and Gus Mancuso!

Just a few random thoughts

Rhys

Good point ! album pages were once thought to be untouchable but have started to see the same thing forgers are getting very sopisticated to stay above the curve.
. Let me say that usually in the first few seconds of looking at an autograph I get an "automatic" Yes or no. I will oftentimes set the autograph upside down next to my work space as stated previosly by another collector , or if in doubt get three opinions or more , but what happens 99% of the time is the initial GUT reaction is the "keeper" Trust your gut

shelly
01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I am really dumb founded. In the early nineties every forger in the country would go to antique stores and buy old blank autograph books that dated back to the early 1900 hundreds. Then they would sign every name you could think of with old ink and fountain pens that where purchased at the same place. Most of the forgers where not as they good as they are now because no one had any idea that it was not authentic. That also included old blank baseballs, bats and anything else they could sign. Hence we now have the TPA"S. Who twenty year ago didn't know there a-s from a hole in the ground. :eek:

You want a tip on how to know if something is bad or good. If it is to good to be true don't buy it. Every expert on this board will tell you they have been fooled. You are the one buying the item so its always up to you.:)

prewarsports
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Agreed Shelly but what people are doing now is taking album pages with 5-10 good signatures and adding one or two at the bottom, so I was saying dont look at a page and assume the Ruth is good just because Jimmie Dykes and Wes Ferrell and a bunch of other low value guys ARE good.

David Atkatz
01-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Every expert on this board will tell you they have been fooled.Every expert but one.

Sean1125
01-23-2013, 03:08 AM
If it has a PSA/DNA sticker that means I don't need to analyze it....

RIGHT?

Well I guess I'm out of tricks sorry guys.

jgmp123
01-23-2013, 12:59 PM

RIGHT?

:D

travrosty
01-23-2013, 01:20 PM

RIGHT?

the PSA sticker IS the trick!