PDA

View Full Version : Are these reprints new to the market? Look pretty scary

Bored5000
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Let me just start off by saying these aren't my reprints, nor do I have anything to do with them. I have lurked here for a while, but only recently registered. But are these reprints something new? I don't really recall seeing reprints like this that go out of thier way to be deceptive with "wear" and damaged corners. In addition to the Shoeless Joe lot, the seller also has various Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb (T-206 card naturally with an Uzit back), etc. reprints all with "wear" added to them.

It's pretty obvious from the description that the seller is appealing to buyers who will use the cards to rip people off. Maybe these have been out there for a while, but I have not seen it before where a seller has seemed to up the bar on selling "worn" reprints like this.

"...they have been professionally aged & distressed to give them the look & feel of 80 year old cards. Put them in thick Lucite plastics for extra eye appeal and it's sure to stump even the most savvy of fellow enthusiasts."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-JOE-JACKSON-M101-1940-PLAYBALL-1909-E90-1-SMITTYS-PROMO-CARD-SET-/181065109390?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a28524f8e

MW1
01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
They look pretty fake to me.

conor912
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
If he is selling a reprint AS a reprint, then I don't see why that's a problem. There is a market out there for collectors who want to fill holes in their sets with something other than nrmt reprints. If someone else buys them and markets them as real, turn shame on that guy...but I personally have no problem with this.

Bored5000
01-20-2013, 11:36 PM
If he is selling a reprint AS a reprint, then I don't see why that's a problem. There is a market out there for collectors who want to fill holes in their sets with something other than nrmt reprints. If someone else buys them and markets them as real, turn shame on that guy...but I personally have no problem with this.

Selling a reprint as a reprint is fine; I agree. Maybe I am mistaken here, but it just seems to me that reprints like this with "wear" are inevitably going to be used for scams.

Sean
01-20-2013, 11:48 PM
I don't know about the others, but the T206s are poor fakes. The backs are printed in the wrong colors.

alanu
01-21-2013, 12:17 AM
I love the term "Professionally Aged"

Matthew H
01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
The E90-1 Joe Jackson with "20" written on the back is a known fake/reprint.

Bocabirdman
01-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Selling a reprint as a reprint is fine; I agree. Maybe I am mistaken here, but it just seems to me that reprints like this with "wear" are inevitably going to be used for scams.

This guy is identifying them as reprints. What about the guy that buys them? It is true that they wouldn't fool an experienced collector but the "professional aging" could surely garner bids from newbies. Selling these cards as reprints allows the seller to sleep at night with no thought of the next transaction. It is like somebody selling "those" bath salts as bath salts. :mad:

michael3322
01-21-2013, 05:14 AM
I understand the concern, but I agree with the others that as long as the seller is clearly listing them as reprints, I don't have a problem. It is the shifty eBayers who pass off reprints as real or potentially real that cause a great deal of problems.

Another thing about this seller that I like is that he correctly designated his listing as a reprint in the "original/reprint" category. The shifty ones don't properly classify theirs and so they end up in everyone's searches.

ScottFandango
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
the e90-1 jackson is from the Fritsch Reprint set of 20...
$4.99 for the set....the "professional" ager part is just wrong...there is no such thing----I HOPE

vintagetoppsguy
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
the "professional" ager part is just wrong

I agree with this. Selling reprints and listing them as reprints is one thing, I don't like the "professionally aged" part.

The word "professionally aged" is kind of funny if you think about though. He's selling cards that are professionally aged as opposed to cards that are aged by an amateur :D How does one become a "professional" at this?

Bocabirdman
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I agree with this. Selling reprints and listing them as reprints is one thing, I don't like the "professionally aged" part.

The word "professionally aged" is kind of funny if you think about though. He's selling cards that are professionally aged as opposed to cards that are aged by an amateur :D How does one become a "professional" at this?

Sell One:D

drc
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
What does 'professionally distressed' mean? A psychiatrist told the cards some scary things?

Actually, professionally means he expect to make a profit from it.

Leon
01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
I am professionally aged. Does that count? Seriously, I hope folks don't get too fooled by all of the fakes and reprints on ebay but I imagine some do. Especially folks who haven't found our board and are new to collecting.

drc
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
The auction description clearly states it's for your man cave not resale.

T206DK
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM

just wait for all the Helmar fake distressed cards to start being sold as "real" in 10-20 years. I laugh at guys who say they create these things because they love the game of baseball and just want to pay tribute to all the great players

drc
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Reprints, the only part of the hobby where lowering the condition raises the sell price.

tbob
01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Reprints, the only part of the hobby where lowering the condition raises the sell price.

+1