PDA

View Full Version : Honus Wagner batted baseball

Shoeless Moe
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Just made a very cool find. A baseball batted by Honus Wagner at the Polo Grounds.

There is a vintage typewriter typed label wrapped around the baseball it reads:

"To Junior Maclean, Here is a baseball that was batted into the grandstand of the Polo Grounds about 20 years ago by the famous Hans Wagner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I will let you guess how it came into my possession. Your dad has told me that youare a regular baseball fan, so I am psssing this ball along to you with my best wishes" signed Fred W. Miller Sept. 16,1929

The original owner of this baseball which came from Cambridge, Mass. found 4antique baseballs while cleaning out the attic of the house partially built in the 1890's that belonged to their grandfather. Their Grandfather's brother was Hugh "Junior" Maclean. Junior Maclean was a die hard baseball fan. This info was given to me via the husband of his great niece.

Of the 4 baseballs found in that attic, 1 was blank, 2 were signed to Hugh "Junior" Maclean, and this one was typewritten to him. The other 3 baseballs were all vintage with autographs of major leaguers from the 1910's and 1920's. Which leaves me no doubt as to this balls authenticity. I have pictures of those other balls and being a buyer and seller of vintage balls I have zero doubt on this balls authenticity.

GrayGhost
01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
super

ngrow9
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Really neat find. Are the seams on the ball blue and red, though? If so, wouldn't that indicate it was an AL ball, not an NL ball?

Shoeless Moe
01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Yep, they definately look Red & Blue.....so leads me to believe this was a barnstorming contest or some kind of Exhibition game at the Polo Grounds.

Or not sure what they used for batting practice balls in those days.

Scott Garner
01-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Paul,
That's a terrific vintage pickup. I believe that your exhibition game or barnstorming theory is most likely correct. Can you see any markings on the ball to help determine the exact vintage?

It's too bad that there isn't an exact date on the ball to help you, but it's a great ball never the less! Congrats!

Shoeless Moe
01-21-2013, 08:47 AM
There is some faint writing/stamping, not sure very hard to make out, maybe if I had Drew's big magnifying glass I could tell better. I'll take a look again tonight see if I can make anything out.

Its for sale if anyone is interested it's up on Ebay for $2000 obo.

Or if you have a screen legend Anthony Quinn T-shirt I might consider, some of u will get that.

(just added - Disregard - Ball has been SOLD)

sayhey24
01-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I happen to have a T-shirt of screen legend Anthony Quinn -- I saw him take it off in the park and grabbed it. Can't post a photo though -- it's in my van right now.

Greg