PDA

View Full Version : Ed/Johnny O'Brien story and uncorrected error card

campyfan39
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,
Some of you know I have been researching for a book the last couple of years. It will be called "Buying Back Dad's Cards" and the premise is that his cards getting tossed turned about to be a good thing because he took me along for the journey to "buy them back."
Dad passed on in 2004 so the book is about the cards he loved and people we met and experinces we had together.

Anyways, I have been contacting some of the guys who's cards I will feature and one of them is the O'Brien bros and the 1954 card featuring both of them.

This week I got back my 1958 Johnny O card signed by Johnny and he told me some cool things. Among them:

The 1958 Johnny O card is actully a picture of his brother Ed. He said it is his stats on the back but Eddie on the front. He said they never told Topps.

He also said that in 54 a Topps Exec brought in 100 copies of their cards for he and his brother and offered them free 53 and 54 complete sets at no charge. They passed on the offer and just got their own cards. He wishes he could go back and have that conversation again!

Just thought you guys might think that was interesting!

ALR-bishop
01-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Very interesting Chris, thanks for sharing

almostdone
01-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the story. Good luck on the book!;)
Drew

campyfan39
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys!

Paul S
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys!
Great info, and good luck with the book.