PDA

View Full Version : Anyone real familiar with Karl Spooner sig?

mr2686
01-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I've been shopping around but to tell you the truth I haven't seen any that didn't look like a 2 year old had signed it...which makes it kind of hard to tell if it's good or not. I've attached one that I'm looking at and was hoping I can get an opinion. This sig looks just like a psa authenticated one I've seen, unfortunately that one was on a 2 dollar bill and I rarely trust those as being good so I have my doubts about a sig that looks similiar. Thanks for looking.

ss
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Looks good.

jgmp123
01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Mike,

That Spooner looks spot on. Here is a pic of mine purchased by a fellow Net54 member...Sorry for low resolution, I will post better quality later.

jgmp123
01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Here you go Mike....

JimStinson
01-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Looks the way its supposed to look, Strange story on Spooner. He was always a good signer. Then after his playing career he VANISHED collectors did not know where he went or if he was alive or dead.

Then Brooklyn collector Bill Zekus who was living in Florida got a tip that Spooner was working in a warehouse in Vero Beach not too far from where Bill was living it was the late 1970's (I think) so he took an arm load of stuff over to the warehouse and according to Bill , Spooner said "How in the hell did you find me here ?" He said that Spooner signed all his stuff and Bill asked him if he could share his address and Spooner agreed it was OK. So collectors began to write to him in the mail and were actually getting his autograph.

Then for some strange reason the signature completely changed , Spooner who even in his playing days signed small began to sign big and the signature looked drawn, these are generally considered to have been signed by someone else , So you'll sometimes see two completely different versions of his autograph.
Shortly after in 1984 he died. So thats why he is still considered one of the toughest autographs of the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers

HexsHeroes
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM

who managed to get a quantity of 3x5 index cards signed by Karl Spooner.
I was fortunate to acquire afew of those 3x5s from James through his regular
monthly mail bid auctions in The Autograph Review publication.

JimStinson
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Makes sense Bill and MacAlister were friends so he would have been one of the first people he passed along the info to

ss
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Here are two more exemplars, one with a Vero Beach address, and the other must be the large version Jim mentioned.

mr2686
01-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys for the info, exemplars and stories. I love this board!!

Republicaninmass
01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/1114/17644310/img284.jpg