PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Trivia question of the Month

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Who was HERB RAYBOURN ? and what was his HUGE contribution to the Yankees of the 1990's ? Hint , he never played a single game

tjlives
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
A Yankees scout that liked a beanpole shortstop's arm strength out of Panama and signed him as a pitcher.

The guy's name was Mariano Rivera or some such.

Scott Garner
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Jim,
I'm going to guess that he had something to do with Mariano Rivera since I know he hails from Panana.

Perhaps he was an interpreter?

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Good One ! The first was right, he was the Yankees international scout and a local cabbie told him about a 20 year old sensation , so he went to have a look at the OLD by Latin standards MARIANO RIVERA , and signed him up. The Yankees I'm SURE thought he was crazy, Rivera was probably 100 pounds soaking wet. A million to one shot that one

Scott Garner
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Good One ! The first was right, he was the Yankees international scout and a local cabbie told him about a 20 year old sensation , so he went to have a look at the OLD by Latin standards MARIANO RIVERA , and signed him up. The Yankees I'm SURE thought he was crazy, Rivera was probably 100 pounds soaking wet. A million to one shot that one

Has there ever been a better closer? I know that the rules that govern what defines what a save is has changed over the years, but I would have Mo anchor my bullpen... :cool:

tjlives
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Has there ever been a better closer? I know that the rules that govern what defines what a save is has changed over the years, but I would have Mo anchor my bullpen... :cool:

Rivera's career ERA of 2.21 is over a half run lower than any other post-deadball pitcher ever except Hoyt Wilhelm, who he's only three tenths and change better than (minimum 1000 IP). His career postseason ERA is 0.70 over 141 innings.

I think there's a very plausible argument that in addition to being the best closer and reliever ever, Rivera's also the most effective pitcher ever on a per inning basis.

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Eckersley was good, So was Sutter in his prime. But factor in brilliance , longevity, smarts, and cool under pressure , Best relief pitcher of all time

In 1988, Rivera began to play shortstop for Panamá Oeste, a local amateur baseball team. Herb Raybourn, the New York Yankees' director of Latin American operations, saw athleticism in Rivera but did not project him to be a major league shortstop. A year later, Panamá Oeste's pitcher performed so poorly that Rivera volunteered to pitch. He excelled at the position, prompting his teammates to contact Yankees scout Chico Heron. Two weeks later, Rivera was invited to a Yankees tryout camp in Panama City where Raybourn was visiting. Raybourn was surprised to find Rivera pitching at the camp, since scouts passed on him as a shortstop a year prior. Although Rivera had no formal pitching training and threw only 85–87 miles per hour (137–140 kilometres per hour), Raybourn was impressed by Rivera's athleticism and smooth, effortless pitching motion. Viewing Rivera as a raw talent, Raybourn signed the amateur free agent to a contract with a US$3,000 signing bonus ($5,337 today) on February 17, 1990

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ? Thats NOT a money pitcher. Rivera is a "money" pitcher

tjlives
01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ? Thats NOT a money pitcher. Rivera is a "money" pitcher

Rivera blew Game 7 of the World Series in 2001. No matter how good you are, if you get in the spot enough times, you'll eventually fail.

But that being said I'm a diehard Mets fan and I still think Rivera is the greatest I've ever seen by a wide margin.

Scott Garner
01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I whole-heartedly agree with both of your assessments of Mo.

Signed for a $3,000 signing bonus? We might also want to add that he was perhaps the greatest modern signing ever(?) for the price... :eek:

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Yea but at least he was pitching to a guy with BOTH his legs , Kirk Gibson should have been brought to bat in a wheelchair

MooseDog
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ?

Jim -

Please, I beg of you not to EVER make mention of this incident so long as Mike Richardson, myself and any other A's fans are regulars on this board! :mad:

This is the equivalent of mentioning the name "Bartman" to a Cubs fan, or Sid Bream to the Braves faithful.

Some things just don't pass with time...;)

mr2686
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
factoring in great backspin on the ball, a giant jetstream going out to right field, and pretty good upper body strength, and that ball Gibson hit still shouldn't have been hit out of the park. Now factor in a corked bat...

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Ok will give you that ...............
and according to Gibson, advanced scouting-based knowledge of what the pitcher would likely throw with that count
As the story goes Gibson overheard the announcer say what Eck's "out" pitch was going to be and waited for it. Never heard the corked bat story but I will agree that ball sure carried pretty far on a minor league swing.

Deertick
01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Jim -

Please, I beg of you not to EVER make mention of this incident so long as Mike Richardson, myself and any other A's fans are regulars on this board! :mad:

This is the equivalent of mentioning the name "Bartman" to a Cubs fan, or Sid Bream to the Braves faithful.

Some things just don't pass with time...;)

Or Joe Carter for the Phans. :mad:

packs
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
In my opinion Mariano Rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

Not to mention the fact that he has been so dominant while every batter he faces knows exactly what pitch he's going to throw, and still they can't hit it. That's greatness.

Scott Garner
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
in my opinion mariano rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

Not to mention the fact that he has been so dominant while every batter he faces knows exactly what pitch he's going to throw, and still they can't hit it. That's greatness.

+100

JimStinson
01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
FINALLY ...............we all agree on something :):):):):):)

Mr. Zipper
01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
In my opinion Mariano Rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

http://www.comiccollecting.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_applause.gif

I collect Rivera extensively. He is my Mickey Mantle. Jeter was always a bit too "teen idol" to be my favorite. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/zipper68/Autographs/RiveraMariano-SPEnterSandman.jpg