PDA

View Full Version : Any good stuff in French Quarter?

TATSR
01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm visiting New Orleans and was wondering if any of these antique shops might have interesting sports stuff. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Tim

darwinbulldog
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
You might find a couple of things on Royal Street, but you're not going to find a bargain there.

smotan_02
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
New Orleans is picked over pretty well. Just spend your time enjoying the food, music, and drink....it's alot less frustrating.

Piano bars are always my favorite.

RCMcKenzie
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Go to Maspero's and order the fried calamari...

www.pierremasperosrestaurant.com/history.html

darwinbulldog
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I love Maspero's, but it'll be a long time before I order calamari again, anywhere.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/imitation-calamari-sliced-pig-rectum_n_2482063.html?ref=topbar

buymycards
01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Go to the Cajun Cabin and ask for a table on the balcony. You can look down on Bourbon street while enjoying a top notch meal with great service. Blackened redfish, etoufee, oysters and a hurricane or two.

I have been to the quarter many times and I haven't found any cards. There are a couple of shops in town but I haven't taken the time to find them. There is a nice card show just outside of New Orleans around the first of the month with a couple of friendly, reasonably priced pre-war dealers. (Edited to say - the dealers aren't reasonably priced but their cards are.)

Good luck!

Rick

packs
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I had a GREAT time the last time I visited New Orleans. It was post-Katrina. Wish I could have seen it in its original state. Didn't see any baseball stuff but there were pretty cool stores with lots of weird stuff.

toppcat
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
The French Quarter is great-haven't been in about three yers, maybe a little longer. Glad to see they are coming back in NOLA and having the Super Bowl there will be good for the town as always. Watch a little "Treme" to get in the mood.

tbob
01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I go to New Orleans every spring for the Jazz Fest and always stay in the French Quarter. The French Quarter post-Katrina is as great as it was before the hurricane hit. Unfortunately you aren't going to find any pre-war cards in any shop. In fact, Louisiana in general is a barren waste land for finding pre-war cards. You would think that with all the Coupon, Victory, etc. cards that there would be finds all the time but in the past 30 years there have been only two major finds which I am aware of, one the 80's Coupon (T213) find and the other the recent T207 Red Cross and other cards find.
If you have some time and want to see and listen to great music, go during the last weekend of April and first weekend of May to the Jazz Fest. This year besides the great local bands, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayer, B.B. King, Maroon 5, Dave Matthews Band and other great groups will be there.

AndyG09
01-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Beware of the Hurricanes and the Hand Grenades (drinks). They go down really well, but they can really hit like a hammer! I went to NO when I was in my early twenties and enjoyed the place too much. :D Have fun!

Best,

Andy