PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about old photos

billyb
01-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Was just wondering if there would be any interest into pre 1900 family photos of old ball players, not in uniform, not sports related, but just an individual photo of the ball player in his dress up for photo attire. I have not seen anyone post any of those type of photos. Many photos of that era were of just the individual and occasionally with family.
If there is anyone to have such photos, I am sure this would be the place. If we are collecting baseball history, wouldn't family photos of athletes also be included? High profile star like Ruth, any photo, including his family is all collectible. The players from the pre-1900s, especially around the 1860s and 70s are rare, so wouldn't any photo of the player be of interest?

billyb,

billyb
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
This picture taken out of Victor Herald newspaper, dated 20 July 1906.

TOP ROW: (L to R), Garnet Davis pitcher, J.O. Connell 2nd base, Bowers right field,
James Calligan 3B.
TOP MIDDLE: Mngr. Marvin A. Wilber
MIDDLE: Harmon shortstop, R. Osborne left field
BOTTOM: S.Barry catcher, Higinbotham mascot, Mead centerfield,
D.H. Osborne 1st base

I cannot find this team with any minor league teams, so must be a makeup team to compete against other city teams. I like pictures like this as this was early baseball played for fans who could not travel to see major or minor league teams.
Teams like this left their small part in history also. Unknown if they were paid, or played just for the fun. This picture I just found posted in a genealogy web site for Ontario County, NY.
A later newspaper clipping announcing the starting lineup had some name changes, but does not state if the picture had the new players in the photo. The changes were; Theo Quigley center field, W. Harmon 3b (was ss), J. Driscoll ss and W. Bushnell Osborne LF
I am 65 years old and remember watching a Canadian traveling teams like this play ball. It was like going back to this era as they played on a little league style field, small backstop, no seating around field, and yep, the cornfield was the homerun area in left and left center field. But could those guys play ball.

billyb