PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a graded card slab come apart?

jp1216
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Since I bought a new scanner this past summer - I've been slowly scanning all my cards.
Today, I went to place a SGC slab on the tray and it literally, came unglued. No dropping, no mishandling etc. It is an older (approx 1998) SGC slab. I am the original owner and submitter.
My question is - over time - has anyone else seen this? I worry that more will develop this problem as years tick by.

Leon
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Since I bought a new scanner this past summer - I've been slowly scanning all my cards.
Today, I went to place a SGC slab on the tray and it literally, came unglued. No dropping, no mishandling etc. It is an older (approx 1998) SGC slab. I am the original owner and submitter.
My question is - over time - has anyone else seen this? I worry that more will develop this problem as years tick by.

I have never had that happen..

EvilKing00
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
if you were the person who subbmitted it - maybe SGC will re-slab it for you with the same grade if they have u on file

glchen
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Was this a larger SGC slab or a regular-sized one? I have noticed that for larger SGC slabs (postcard and larger), they are more fragile and more likely to come apart during shipping. I've never had any problem with regular-sized ones, however.

jp1216
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
It's a regular size slab. 1959 Topps SGC 80 Berra to be exact.

Bocabirdman
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Under the cover of darkness, away from prying eyes, that card has secretly worked, for the last 15 years, little by little, to fashion an escape. Could anyone have the heart to re-imprison him. Wouldn't that sorta be Double Jeopardy?:D

CMIZ5290
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I have never had it happened either, but I have often wondered if it does happen....

usernamealreadytaken
01-17-2013, 02:25 PM
The graders at Beckett are smiling right now . . .

christopher.herman
01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
It's a regular size slab. 1959 Topps SGC 80 Berra to be exact.

"If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be"
-Yogi Berra.

npa589
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Gosh I love Yogi-isms!

For a good laugh:

http://www.umpirebob.com/DATA/yogiisms.htm

"If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be"
-Yogi Berra.

wonkaticket
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
SGC slab from Saco....with a CDV in it? (Kidding) :D

toledo_mudhen
01-18-2013, 05:02 AM
I hang out quite a bit on the SGC board and have accumulated a bit of the history to SGC. It appears that they 1st opened their doors in April of 98.

The very 1st slab had only "SG" on the front of the flip and the back of the slab contained a gold foil emblem.

I believe this slab lasted for the less than 6 months or so and then the flip contained "SGC"

If you submitted in 98 then this is almost for sure one of the very 1st slabs of the new fledgling company.

I'm guessing that there was plenty of "working out the details" in that 1st year and it is possible the slab was one of those details.

I have tons of SGC slabs and have never had the same issue. I'm pretty sure that they would be more than willing to do a reslab for you - but you do have a bit of history there.

tiger8mush
01-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Funny you mention this, cuz last weekend I was cracking out cards to put into my binders and as I go to slide a screwdriver to pry open an SGC card, it just fell apart. I thought maybe I'd just mindlessly opened it, but there were no marks that you'd normally see from the glue being forced apart. It was a lower priced card, mid grade, not a reprint nor trimmed etc so I passed it off as my mind playing tricks on me haha.

I've cracked open hundreds from each of the big 3 TPGs and don't ever recall that happening before. Strange!

glynparson
01-18-2013, 08:00 AM
FYI cases are not glued together in any way.

rainier2004
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Funny you mention this, cuz last weekend I was cracking out cards to put into my binders and as I go to slide a screwdriver to pry open an SGC card, it just fell apart. I thought maybe I'd just mindlessly opened it, but there were no marks that you'd normally see from the glue being forced apart. It was a lower priced card, mid grade, not a reprint nor trimmed etc so I passed it off as my mind playing tricks on me haha.

I've cracked open hundreds from each of the big 3 TPGs and don't ever recall that happening before. Strange!

Ive done my fair share of crackin and had a sgc case fall apart on me as you described once. I kept it for my CJ display!

MikeGarcia
01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm glad to see that so many of the WIWAG crew are finally out on early release.

Clutch-Hitter
01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, I bought six SGC graded cards from one seller, all of which had been submitted together early to mid 2012. While scanning them, two fell apart.

Clutch-Hitter
01-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Was this a larger SGC slab or a regular-sized one? I have noticed that for larger SGC slabs (postcard and larger), they are more fragile and more likely to come apart during shipping. I've never had any problem with regular-sized ones, however.

Mine were regular size.