PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Mile High Auction photo claim

bmarlowe1
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Current Mile High auction lot 802:
“Offered is a exceptionally rare large format albumen photograph measuring a staggering 15 x 19 inches and framed to an impressive 30 x 26 inches that captures 14 members and one manager of an unidentified team.”

Then they drone on for over 600 words about how the guy back row center holding a ball (his face is shown below left) may be Al Spalding, “…After intense discussion both at last years National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore as well as through phone calls and emails with noted hobby historians and advanced enthusiasts the overall thought to this being Albert Spalding rested between 85-90% likely….” They conclude with, “Please note that Mile High Card Co. is selling the above lot as just that a rare large format Baseball photograph with a possibility of it containing Albert Goodwill Spalding making no definitive call.”

Give me a break. I thought we had gotten past this sort of crap, but I guess not. I will make a definitive call. The shape of the visible ear and the chin structure tells us immediately with certainty that this guy cannot be Al Spalding (the real Spalding is shown below center and right). Aside from that, any "noted hobby historians" or "advanced enthusiasts" who think this guy looks like Spalding should stay away from facial ID.

Runscott
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Agreed - ridiculous claim on their part.

There are 14 players pictured, meaning it's almost certainly a professional team. Anyone could easily check the rosters of the professional teams that Spalding played on, and then check for teammates on this photo. They wouldn't find any.

gnaz01
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I saw that too. Total CRAP!!

djson1
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Wow...just goes to show, you can still fool people with a mustache.

bcbgcbrcb
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Agreed, that description should be removed immediately. At least one bidder was duped into bidding already.

Runscott
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Wow...just goes to show, you can still fool people with a mustache.

When I had a mustache, no one could fool me.

oldjudge
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
I was at the National and spent time at the Mile High booth and they never asked me. My guess is that I might be someone worth asking. Was anyone on the board who was at the National asked? BTW, I was at a table with Richard Masson, Leon, and Scott Brockelman. I don't recall any of those guys mentioning that photo. Brian Drent is a nice guy, but stuff like this can give the auction house a bad reputation.

barrysloate
01-14-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd like to know which historians believe it's Spalding.....plus the ball is in his right hand, not his left.

oldjudge
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I think it was Mister Peabody

WillowGrove
01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
When I had a mustache, no one could fool me.

funny.

djson1
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Well it looks like that Lot 802 has been removed from Mile High's current auction. I guess it finally came to their attention too. :rolleyes: