PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a reholder downgrade?

conor912
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I have a '33 goudey HOFer graded SGC 60. I was looking at it today and saw a light, yet substantially long crease on the back of it. SGC's grading scale says a 60 "may exhibit one VERY slight surface or 'spider' crease on one side of the card" but I think most would agree that this goes beyond that. The case also has a crack in it (the crack is nowhere near the crease so to make the argument that the impact that caused the crack also caused the crease would be ludicrous). I saw the crack when I bought the card and had just planned on having ir re-holdered at some point - but as you see, the plot thickens now.

From SGC's Website:
"Cards on regrade or reholder service: SGC has the right to reevaluate the card and assign a newly established grade if SGC believes the card was originally misgraded. If the grade change results in a loss of value of the card, SGC will compensate the customer based upon market value as solely determined by SGC."

So, assuming they now see the crease and downgrade the card, will I get the difference between a 4 and a 5 on SMR (which, of course, is PSA and not SGC)? Does the "compensation" come in cash or something lamer like 10 free gradings? Or are they just going to stick it to me and say because the case is cracked that their above compensation policy is void then downgrade it anyway? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Paul S
01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
You could always call them up and ask them more specifics on how that's handled. Ask them for their name so that when you get the card back with anything outside of what you discussed, you will have a record, There are people on the board here more experienced than I about who to talk to.

sdkammeyer
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I hope I'm not straying too far off-topic here but your post brings up a question to me.

As noobie as it sounds, I have never sent in a card to be graded. But after I finish my t206 set I had planned to send the entire set in and have it reholdered. Specifically to have all nice, clean, fresh slabs since I plan to display the set and don't want any scratched/scuffed holders.

Since this isn't going to take place for another couple years I haven't done much research on it (costs, time, etc). Are you saying that if I were to send in my set of all PSA 4's that they won't just accept the grade on the card, crack it, and put it in a fresh holder? As you can see in my particular case ... it's a pretty scary thought to send off all 4's after I spent so much time collecting them .... and then getting back some 3's and 5's.

sycks22
01-13-2013, 03:44 PM
SGC has great customer service, they'll be sure to help you out.

conor912
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I hope I'm not straying too far off-topic here but your post brings up a question to me.

As noobie as it sounds, I have never sent in a card to be graded. But after I finish my t206 set I had planned to send the entire set in and have it reholdered. Specifically to have all nice, clean, fresh slabs since I plan to display the set and don't want any scratched/scuffed holders.

Since this isn't going to take place for another couple years I haven't done much research on it (costs, time, etc). Are you saying that if I were to send in my set of all PSA 4's that they won't just accept the grade on the card, crack it, and put it in a fresh holder? As you can see in my particular case ... it's a pretty scary thought to send off all 4's after I spent so much time collecting them .... and then getting back some 3's and 5's.

I don't know PSA's policy. But if it is the same as SGC's, which I would assume it is, then they reserve the right to reassess the card and make sure they got it right the first time. I am willing to bet very few out of 500+ would come back different grade, but I would assume a few will.

Jlighter
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
and 5's.

Oh no, my cards are worth more money.:D

E93
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I think PSA will re-holder without re-evaluation, but just give them a call and ask.
JimB

sdkammeyer
01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Oh no, my cards are worth more money.:D

Lol, you guys would probably be the winners in all that too. I'd be on here peddling 5's straight up for good conditioned 4's of the same player :)

smtjoy
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
My only experience with PSA on sending a card that I got was a T3 PSA 4 with slight paper loss and a stain on it, I sent it to them to review and they said the grade was correct. I did send it in with another order so really didnt cost me anything but I am still baffled about how it graded a 4.

I did have it happen with an SGC card that was a 50 I bought that had a small dot of paper loss on the back only seen clearly with a loupe. I sent it in with a sub and it was downgraded to a 20 and they gave me 10 free subs for it that more than make up for my loss. Sean was great to deal with on that one.

chaddurbin
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I did have it happen with an SGC card that was a 50 I bought that had a small dot of paper loss on the back only seen clearly with a loupe. I sent it in with a sub and it was downgraded to a 20 and they gave me 10 free subs for it that more than make up for my loss. Sean was great to deal with on that one.

and then you sent it to psa and got a 4 :)

freakhappy
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM

Chad...Loved your response :D

Pat R
01-16-2013, 06:12 AM

SGC made the mistake so you feel the need to turn it into a PSA bashing?