PDA

View Full Version : Football card production question

skelly
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I've always wondered this, so why not ask. how many more baseball cards did topps produce in relation to its football sets from the same year. Did they make 8 1958 mantle's for every 1958 Jim Brown? It's amazing to me how many vintage football cards seem available now with ebay and so forth. Many of my friends father's don't even remember the football cards, although they remember having baseball cards, always seeing baseball cards, etc... Any thoughts, comments, hard cold numbers....

Jdoggs
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I checked SMR and for 1958 topps Jim brown rc 1,923 have been
Submitted to PSA for grading. For 1958 topps Mickey mantle 3,557 have been submitted to PSA for grading. Not sure how many ungraded are out there. Thanks for responding to my posts.
Jason

steve B
01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd guess much less than 8-1. Until some expansion, most football was played in more northern cities. Plus its season is in fall/winter and overlaps both basketball and hockey. And a couple of those months were a time to save up for presents for the rest ofthe family.

So even in the mid 70's, in say July I'd ride my bike to the store and get a pack or two of baseball cards or maybe wacky packs if I wasn't in a baseball mood.

But in December I went far less often and had the choice of three different sports. Or if it was one of the department stores, maybe even some baseball rack packs on closeout.

So Football probably sold better in the cities it was played in, where kids could walk past the store on the way somewhere instead of going a mile or so in snow like I usually did.

short season+bad travel+holiday saving up+competition = Slow sales.

Steve B