PDA

View Full Version : T206 Printer's Scrap Question

WillowGrove
01-12-2013, 04:05 PM
hey t206ers et al -

I've owned the attached t206 Howard since about 1980. SGC says it is re-backed and it is. They also say it is a printer's scrap.

Aside from me being shocked that someone would re-back this card as far back as 1979, I'd really like to finally understand what makes this a scrap and why it would be re-backed?

If a scrap helps with the printing process, who takes the time to take, what I guess would be a blank-backed Howard and put a back on it?

Someone at the printer 100 years ago? A hobbyist who was experimenting? This card came with many others probably from a house auction about 35 years ago.

Any guidance would be really appreciated. thanks a lot guys.

peter

atx840
01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Pete it looks 100% scrap to me, hand cut and missing at least the blue layer. I have seen another one of these but it is a Piedmont back. Im not sure why anyone would reback unless somehow they altered the colours and needed to replace the back as it was damaged.

http://i.imgur.com/RkWJb.jpg

Nice card :D

wazoo
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Is there any way a professional can remove the back without damaging the card?

mrvster
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
you can see it is rebacked!!!!weirdest thing iv seen!:confused:

E93
01-12-2013, 05:37 PM
It is interesting that the back is off-centered in the same way as the front. I wonder if a printed back sheet was attached at the factory. Is it double-thick compared with regular T206s?
JimB

mrvster
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
it's a gem!:D

steve B
01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
It is interesting that the back is off-centered in the same way as the front. I wonder if a printed back sheet was attached at the factory. Is it double-thick compared with regular T206s?
JimB

That's what I was wondering.

If it's double thickness maybe there's another card underneath.

I don't see why they'd do this at the factory, unless it was an accident of some kind.

Steve B

mrvster
01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
back looks 100% scrap also....wow....look at the offset and cut.....was wondering if this could be soaked off??? maybe 2 scraps together?? that would be insane:eek:

WillowGrove
01-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I matched up thickness vs. the stacks of other scraps I have and it seems - kidding.

i matched the thickness to other T206's and they seem the same.

Thanks for confirming, it's a scrap that for some strange reason was re-backed. (whether by another scrap I don't know.)

thanks for your help and also for your interest.

peter

sb1
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
At some point this was two parts, the creasing on the front card and the back, do not match up at all. While my memory has faded, I do not think this is the same fact. # or perhaps even series as are most of the yellow/brown printer scrap T206's.

Abravefan11
01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
I wonder if a printed back sheet was attached at the factory.

Del Howard is a print group 2 subject, so the printing of 150 Series backs would have been long concluded before the front was printed.

It seems possible to me that the Del Howard portion of the card was originally blank-back scrap. Regardless, it's a shame someone altered the card.

teetwoohsix
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
back looks 100% scrap also....wow....look at the offset and cut.....was wondering if this could be soaked off??? maybe 2 scraps together?? that would be insane:eek:

That's what I was thinking too Johnny, I wonder if these could be soaked apart without doing any harm to either front/back.

Sincerely, Clayton

mrvster
01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
I bought the howard and received it today.....I spent a bit on it, but I fell in love with the front and its worth every cent!!THANKS PETER:)....

Anyway, I got it and about 1/4 of the corner was peeled back already, so, you guessed it, I peeled back the rest!!I couldnt resist, i never really touch a card, but We know its scrap, the back was the question.....SGC wont grade a re backed card, and I dont soak any cards so I let it fly.....

there it was, most of the PIEDMONT BACK was gone, but a small potion remained, the rest was tightly glued to the front....not sure why they would glue a sweet cap back on, but i figured nothing to lose....

THOUGHT it was a bb at first, but the small portion of the piedy back was left....sorry no pics yet, i will take and post later.....i got most of the sweet cap back off by just peeling gently off with a tweezers, but a tiny portion of the sweet cap back also remains...

Back Sweet cap, BB or not, THIS CARD IS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!FRONT WASNT AFFECTED!!!!! HOWARD is off the hook, and a bad Axx scrapper...

definitely happy, BB or not, but at least a mystery solved!!

:D

Gradedcardman
01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Great card Johnny !! You are the master of the scraps !! I picked up a Marquard Portrait reverse comma yesterday. Not missing any color so I didn't have to fight you !!!

atx840
01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
NICE JOHNNY, as we figured a Piedmont early test run like your others. Congrats!

mrvster
01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
THANKS ADAM!!

Your becoming the master! I love your T206 Taste....Congrats on MArquard:D

Guys like you make it possible to put cards of this caliber in my collection;)

THANKS ADAM

Exhibitman
01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
"Marquard Portrait reverse comma"

Image, please!

Gradedcardman
01-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Will have it up in a few...

wonkaticket
01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
"Marquard Portrait reverse comma"

Image, please!

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/websize/9marquard_1.jpg

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1215031053/T206+Set+still+full+of+surprises+to+this+collector

wazoo
01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Beautiful card and congrats Johnny!

Gradedcardman
01-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks John but the one I got has been loved a bit more than that one...
Surprise ebay find

Blunder19
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Johnny asked me to share these pics.. post peeled off back
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/howard3_zpsd8f68453.jpg

heres the remaining back
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/howard2_zpse6834f7d.jpg

heres the fake back that was peeled off
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/howard1_zps9647ad93.jpg

mrvster
01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
thanks guys and jamie!!

the sweet cap back was real, just another t206 glued on the piedy for some reason, stoked about howard!! opinions please:)

Jantz
01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
the sweet cap back was real, just another t206 glued on the piedy for some reason, stoked about howard!! opinions please:)

Opinions?

Great pickup, it found a good home & it deserves to be in your collection!

Happy for you Johnny! :)

Haven't forgot about you, I'll be calling you soon.

Jantz

teetwoohsix
01-28-2013, 02:27 AM
Nice score Johnny !!!!! :D

I know you couldn't wait to see what was under the front. Do you think if you soaked it (I'm not suggesting that you do) that the Piedmont would be clearer? It's a carzy card, it looks like SC on the back also?

Anyhow-congrats !!! It's found a nice home, with lots of friends :D

Sincerely, Clayton

FrankWakefield
01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
I don't think that card is scrap....

What you have there is two cards somewhat skinned and pasted together. Whoever did that must have wanted a SC card instead of that Piedmont back.

I'd have soaked the two apart if it had been mine.

Scrap would be something that wasn't usable that most folks would have discarded. That Howard white border card with the Piedmont back wasn't scrap. And I would think that the Sweet Caporal back once was an entire card, and someone peeled the front and back apart, then glued the SC back onto the Howard card.

atx840
01-28-2013, 09:02 AM
But that is just, like, your opinion man :)

100% scrap, handcut & missing most ink layers including the red which we normally find on the typical yellow/brown scraps. This also has a gray/black layer that is slightly offset which has been seen on several clean backed Piedmont scraps. Possibly used to align the first few layers of ink and the Piedmont backs.

Cool card either way Johnny.

Jlighter
01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have a Yellow Brown that graded numerically?

Runscott
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't think that card is scrap....

What you have there is two cards somewhat skinned and pasted together. Whoever did that must have wanted a SC card instead of that Piedmont back.

I'd have soaked the two apart if it had been mine.

Yeah, if you are going to conduct major card operations like this, you really have to learn to soak. If it were a NM card I would understand reluctance to soak, but not with this one.

teetwoohsix
01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
But that is just, like, your opinion man :)

100% scrap, handcut & missing most ink layers including the red which we normally find on the typical yellow/brown scraps. This also has a gray/black layer that is slightly offset which has been seen on several clean backed Piedmont scraps. Possibly used to align the first few layers of ink and the Piedmont backs.

Cool card either way Johnny.

+1 ^^^ all of the above.

Sincerely, Clayton

mrvster
01-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys!! I was afraid to soak, but hindsight I might have, the front was what I was the most afraid to affect....The front is 1000% scrap, I have many scraps with full printed back....The front is exactly smell, touch, feel, ect...the back is also scrap piedy, just someone decided to paste another card on back, just a sweet cap back for some reason....it is very similar to Pat's Howard, except missing more ink applications...

I agree I shouldve soaked, but I got Too antsy , but the card front and back is a scrapper...just has back damage now,......:D

:)