PDA

View Full Version : An Unsolvable Riddle? St Mary's Industrial School for Boys Uniform?

BigJJ
01-11-2013, 06:15 PM
While we Net54 members may, or may not, have brains at 5% power, it seems that when we pool together, we have one functioning 100% brain. That being said, I think this may be an unsolvable riddle.
I believe this – youth size – baseball uniform is from St. Mary’s Industrial School for Boys (1866-1950), Babe Ruth’s home. I do not know the possible years for the uniform. The tags read Salem Rubber Co. According to the Secretary of State of Massachusetts Office, Salem Rubber Co. was founded in Feb. 1907 and was dissolved in Feb. 1971. Note the emblem on the arm. I was told the sourcing on this was the mid-Atlantic, but I have no written provenance. Regardless of era, though obviously the closer in time to Ruth the better, this would be an ultra rare and sought after uniform if confirmed to be from the Industrial School for Boys. I have not seen another such uniform.
The fact that any “incorrigible” – or, in fact, not “incorrigible” - boy like the Babe, may have found solace, like the Babe did, in this St. Mary’s uniform would make it special. I called the Archdiocese of Baltimore but they did not have yearbooks, photos, or any other info. Neither did The Babe Ruth Museum.
Based on the button type and jersey design, I was curious as to what thoughts are with regard to year - and also any possible info as to whether this is, or is not, an Industrial School for Boys uniform. Thanks and best. J

yanks12025
01-11-2013, 06:30 PM
If only Barry harper was still alive, it would probably be called Babe Ruth's jersey. But nice jersey and research

perezfan
01-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Based on style, material, piping, buttons, etc, I would estimate mid-late 1930s for this uniform.

jerseygary
01-12-2013, 07:54 AM
If it was a Baltimore St. Mary's uniform I'd think it would have a local Baltimore manufacturer's or sporting goods supplier's name in the collar, not one from up north. St. Mary's was a trade school and the boys were taught a trade, tailoring being the most popular, so I would say the uniforms worn at the school were made in-house and not purchased. If you look at the existing pictures of St. Mary's baseball teams the uniforms look like they could be homemade. In his later years Ruth prided himself on his tailoring skills learned at St. Mary's.

sayhey24
01-12-2013, 08:09 AM
St. Mary's is a very common school name -- we have several here in my small area of NYS, and a quick google search shows dozens of them in Massachusetts, so my educated guess would be it's most likely this is from something other than the Babe's school in Baltimore. But hey, you never know!

Greg

BigJJ
01-12-2013, 10:38 AM
If it was a Baltimore St. Mary's uniform I'd think it would have a local Baltimore manufacturer's or sporting goods supplier's name in the collar, not one from up north. St. Mary's was a trade school and the boys were taught a trade, tailoring being the most popular, so I would say the uniforms worn at the school were made in-house and not purchased. If you look at the existing pictures of St. Mary's baseball teams the uniforms look like they could be homemade.

Interesting regarding perhaps all their jerseys being home made. !

It appears that a second tag was below the maker tag at some point, and is now missing - it was a larger tag - would a suppliers name have been there? player swatch?

Is everyone agreed on mid/late 1930s? Thank you re possible date too Perezfan.

bigtrain
01-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Just a guess but the letters on the sleeve, "HN" or "NH" could stand for New Hampshire. That would make the Massachusetts manufacture more likely.

BigJJ
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Just a guess but the letters on the sleeve, "HN" or "NH" could stand for New Hampshire. That would make the Massachusetts manufacture more likely.

Interesting. Thank you.

Does anyone know if St Mary's Industrial School had a mascot?
or if St Mary's Industrial School was Jesuit and this could in any way be an "In His Service" emblem (I think the answer is no).

bigtrain
01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
St. Mary's was run by the Congregation of St. Francis Xavier known as the Xavierian Brothers.

BigJJ
01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
St. Mary's was run by the Congregation of St. Francis Xavier known as the Xavierian Brothers.

Thanks

insidethewrapper
01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
This 1962 Topps card shows Ruth at St. Mary's. Uniform appears to be blue. One player has an emblem on the sleeve.

BigJJ
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks Mike. and looks like a "SM" on the sleeve and not a "NH".

BigJJ
01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the above. Based on the "NH" (or "HN"), and the fact that the uniform was not either made by St Mary's or locally made, I think it is unlikely that it is a St Mary's Industrial School for Boys uniform.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the uniform, still displays great, please PM.