PDA

View Full Version : Tracking all these auction sites... How do you do it?

markf31
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
With the new year kicking off there are quite a few of the online auction houses that have auctions either going on currently or will be opening up later this month. Its fantastic, if not a little overwhelming at times! Especially if you're like me and sort of all over the map in regards to collecting interests such as cards, autographs, equipment and all sorts of other assorted memorabilia.

How do you keep track of all the auctions and items that you're interested in? Granted you can track lots on each individual site, but what about when you're trying to handle and sort thru 5 or 6 auctions, that all end within couple weeks of one another. I'm trying to organize all my items of interst into an excel sheet, but sometimes it gets a little unwieldy.

I'd be interested to hear how you guys handle the wonderful and beautiful madness!

Pythonfactory
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Funny you should mention this. Last night, I created a spreadsheet that contains the following information for each auction that sells items I'm interested in buying: name, next start date, next end date, and URL to the "My Account" page (I'm all about efficiency and that's the page I would use the most for watching auctions). It isn't sexy but it works and ensures that I'm not forgetting to check one of them.

I have a follow-up question. Does anyone have a laundry list of all the auction houses out there? Thanks!

markf31
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Bryan,

I do reference www.auctionreport.com it lists many of the auction houses in the calendar section, along with the auction dates and consignment deadline dates. There are some smaller auction houses that might not be listed, but the major ones for the most part are updated there.

Pythonfactory
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Ummm ya. That is WAY better than my manual method. Thank you for helping me escape the prehistoric era.

Leon
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Bryan,

I do reference www.auctionreport.com it lists many of the auction houses in the calendar section, along with the auction dates and consignment deadline dates. There are some smaller auction houses that might not be listed, but the major ones for the most part are updated there.

It only lists the ones that pay to advertise with them, hence many auctions won't be listed there, big and small.

Pythonfactory
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
But Leon, if I watch EVERY auction house, I'm liable to spend way more money than I should =)

Leon
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
But Leon, if I watch EVERY auction house, I'm liable to spend way more money than I should =)

We don't live payday to payday, we live card to card. It's the addict way. And I should mention Auction Report is very good but I doubt they have even half of the current auctions listed.

honus94566
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
So does anybody have a current "list"?

White Borders
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Another useful auction calendar is: Old Cardboard (http://www.oldcardboard.com/calendar.asp)

Best regards and happy collecting :)
Craig

Jewish-collector
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I've never understood all these years how collectors can keep track of so many lots in so many different major auctions + ebay + Net54 B/S/T board all at the same time. And also saving a few pennies for REA every April/May !!!

HRBAKER
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't try.