PDA

View Full Version : INSIGHTS..Senator Russell's T206 & T210 coll. (incl. DOYLE error & Ty Cobb back)

tedzan
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
We often speak about "the provenance" of certain vintage cards. Senator Richard Russell's collection is one of the highlights of our hobby. According to Russell's
Biography, he was smoking at the early age of 13 and acquired many of his Tobacco cards (circa 1909-1911) from cigarette packs that he, or his father smoked.
The available T-brands (where he grew up in Winder, GA) were PIEDMONT and OLD MILL. His collection totals 900+ cards.....T206's and OLD MILL's (T210's).
Russell's collection can be viewed at the Univ. of Geogia (Athens campus). An appointment is required.

I became quite interested in Russell's collection in 2006, while I was completing my all-PIEDMONT T206 set. I noticed on Ebay a group of PIEDMONT T206's that
included very rare PIEDMONT 350 backs. I won them. My curiosity motivated me to contact the seller, an Atlanta Antiques dealer. He informed me that Russell's
Great-Granddaughter had consigned many of Russell's duplicates to him. I ended up acquiring 87 of Russell's T206's. More details regarding this acquisition (with
scans) will follow in the next post on this thread.

Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l

Theory is that American Lithographic caught the error of the "Nat'l" lettering in this card's caption very early; and, removed it from the printing plate. Initially, it
was printed in an early 350-series press run of PIEDMONT cards....and, can be found only with the PIEDMONT 350 back. As of today, there are only 8 confirmed
Joe Doyle N.Y. Nat'l cards.

Sen. Russell's Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l card.
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/RussellJoeDoyle25x_zpsc471cf78.jpg

Ty Cobb / Ty Cobb back

Russell was an avid BB and FB fan in his youth. Growing up 50 miles Northeast of Atlanta, he was a huge fan of Ty Cobb. He met Cobb and they became friends
for life. Perhaps, that friendship is how he acquired this Ty Cobb card. Or perhaps, he acquired it as a teenager in 1910 on one of his family's visits to Atlanta.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/acobbtycobb.jpghttp://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/bcobbtycobb.jpg

Furthermore, Russell was close friends with FB HOFer Halfback (& QB) Charley Trippi. Charley lives in Athens, GA and is 91 years old.

Russell's collection is unique in many respects....it is the only reported T-set with the Doyle error card & Ty Cobb back card....it includes 660 - PIEDMONT cards
which make up a near complete T206 "Master" set....and approx. 200 - T210 cards, of which 67 are Series #8 (but, no Joe Jackson card). Imagine if he had the
T210 Joe Jax card, he would have hit the "trifecta".

Russell's basic T206 set comprises of 502 different cards.......

SERIES......Subjects........Missing PIEDMONT cards

150-only..........11..............Honus Wagner & Magie

150/350.........141..............Plank, McQuillan

350-only........199...............Davy Jones, Marquard (portrait), Moriarty, Pfeister (seated), Smith (Buffalo), Summers, White (Buffalo)

350/460...........62...............Berger**, Lajoie (bat), Manning (pitching), Joe Doyle (corrected)

460-only..........43...............Abbaticchio (blue slvs), Ball (Clev.), Chance (bat)

So. Lgrs...........46................Kiernan, Stark

Note** ...... Berger exists with an OLD MILL back.

More info regarding the PIEDMONT master set, OLD MILL T210's & T206's will follow. Comments regarding this collection are welcome.

TED Z

wolf441
01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
As always Ted, incredible research and a great read! Thanks for the information, Steve

ullmandds
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Good stuff...no pic of Honus?

sreader3
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi Ted,
Nice to have these details on the Russell collection documented. Thanks.
Scot

freakhappy
01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Great stuff, Ted! Thanks for sharing and always a pleasure to read :)

Peter...I think Russell was missing the Wagner

Leon
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Nice write up Ted. Thanks for sharing. He was smoking at the ripe old age of 13. Wow, that is quite young.

ullmandds
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Ted lists Wags as being in the collection?!

g_vezina_c55
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice research.
Thanks for the info

tedzan
01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I became quite interested in Russell's collection in 2006, while I was completing my all-PIEDMONT T206 set. I noticed on Ebay a group of PIEDMONT T206's that
included very rare PIEDMONT 350 backs. I won them. My curiosity motivated me to contact the seller, an Atlanta Antiques dealer. He informed me that Russell's
Great-Granddaughter had consigned many of Russell's duplicates to him. I ended up acquiring 87 of Russell's T206's. More details regarding this acquisition (with
scans) will follow in the next post on this thread.

OK guys....these six T206's may not seem "sexy" to most of you; however, they are rarely found with the PIEDMONT 350 back. They seldom show up on ebay or at BB
card shows. Mostly, they are found with PIEDMONT 150 backs....also SWEET CAPORAL 150, or SOVEREIGN 150 backs, and to a lesser extent with brown HINDU backs.

So, as I have said, when I saw them listed on ebay 7 years ago, I did not hesitate to get them. I'm not certain why Russell was fortunate enough to find the Joe Doyle
error card (PIEDMONT 350), or these rare T206's with the PIEDMONT 350 backs....and, if there is a possible connection beween them. So, I am left to speculate.
Anyhow, from reading his Biography, it's my impression that the majority of Russell's T206's were acquired during 1910 when the 350 Series (the 350/460 & 460 Series)
cards were issued.

From Senator Russell's original collection
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/PIEDMONT350elite6_zps26cd1747.jpg
..http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/PIEDMONT350elite6bks_zpsdc88478f.jpg

Furthermore, there are 2 more T206's in this group....Schulte (front view) and Mullin (throwing). Which..including the above 6..I have referred to as the "Elite Eight".

.................................................. ...............http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/MullinP350bk_zps41ce0345.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/tedzan77/SchulteMullinPIEDMONT350_zps03a701f1.jpg

Finally, let's not forget the elusive Carl Lundgren that is normally found with the PIEDMONT 150 back; and, seldom found with the PIEDMONT 350 or the EPDG backs.

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/alundgren4versions.jpg
.http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/blundgren4versions.jpg

Hey guys....who says PIEDMONT 350 backs backs aren't "sexy" ?

Recently, a collector acquired the Schulte card with a PIEDMONT 350 back for big $$$$$ !

The following lists possible explanations for why 7 of these nine 150/350 Series subjects were short-printed with the PIEDMONT 350 back.

Dahlen........Signed with Brooklyn (Oct 27, 1909), became their Manager in 1910

Ewing.........traded from Cinc. to Phila (NL), Jan 1910

Ganley........traded from Wash. to Phila (A's), May 1909

T Jones.......traded from St Louis (AL) to Detroit, Aug 1909

Karger.........traded to Boston (AL), July 1909

Lindaman......career ends July 1909

Lundgren......reassigned to Minor League in 1909

Any inputs regarding these 9 cards with their rare PIEDMONT 350 backs are appreciated.

TED Z

atx840
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for sharing the scans Ted.

I was going to try a Ewing back run, the EPDG shows up from time to time...the 350 not so much.

http://i.imgur.com/GPhT2.jpg

ethicsprof
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
great research!!!
many thanks for the efforts and sharing.
all the best,
barry

steve B
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Not a 350, but a nice handcut Ewing. Normal otherwise as far as I can tell.

Steve B
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=1877

tedzan
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Judging from Russell's OLD MILL collection, it seems that American Litho. printed and issued T206 OM & T210 OM cards
approx. the same timeframe in 1910.

T206 OLD MILL

Major & Minor Leaguers = 34 subjects

Southern Leaguers = 22 subjects

T210 OLD MILL

Series 1..... 70 subjects
Series 2..... 12 subjects
Series 3..... 12 subjects
Series 4...... 2 subjects
Series 5..... 17 subjects
Series 6...... 2 subjects
Series 7...... 4 subjects
Series 8..... 67 subjects

Total....... 186 subjects

I find it quite interesting that Russell accumulated 60% of the Series 8 sub-set, but wasn't lucky to get a Joe Jackson.

TED Z

Jason
01-09-2013, 02:54 AM
Interesting T210 breakdown.I thought living in Georgia the packs would contain Series 1 and 8.I always thought that maybe T210's were distributed by the area you lived in,like Series 2 for Virginia.He had a few cards from all Series does that suggest one could basically pull any Series from a pack all over the country where Old Mill Cigarettes were sold?

tedzan
01-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Russell's basic T206 set comprises of 502 different cards.......

SERIES......Subjects........Missing PIEDMONT cards

150-only..........11..............Honus Wagner & Magie

150/350.........141..............Plank, McQuillan

350-only........199...............Davy Jones, Marquard (portrait), Moriarty, Pfeister (seated), Smith (Buffalo), Summers, White (Buffalo)

350/460...........62...............Berger**, Lajoie (bat), Manning (pitching), Joe Doyle (corrected)

460-only..........43...............Abbaticchio (blue slvs), Ball (Clev.), Chance (bat)

So. Lgrs...........45................Lentz, Kiernan, Stark

Note** ...... Berger exists with an OLD MILL back.

TED Z

Ted lists Wags as being in the collection?!

Peter

Tell me....this is "tongue in cheek"....isn't it, buddy ? :)

TED Z

ullmandds
01-09-2013, 07:44 AM
My mistake Ted...I read it wrong!!!:confused:

My head is clouded w/mucous these days!!!!

DixieBaseball
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Judging from Russell's OLD MILL collection, it seems that American Litho. printed and issued T206 OM & T210 OM cards
approx. the same timeframe in 1910.

T206 OLD MILL

Major & Minor Leaguers = 34 subjects

Southern Leaguers = 22 subjects

T210 OLD MILL

Series 1..... 70 subjects
Series 2..... 12 subjects
Series 3..... 12 subjects
Series 4...... 2 subjects
Series 5..... 17 subjects
Series 6...... 2 subjects
Series 7...... 4 subjects
Series 8..... 67 subjects

Total....... 186 subjects

I find it quite interesting that Russell accumulated 60% of the Series 8 sub-set, but wasn't lucky to get a Joe Jackson.

TED Z

Hi Ted - Perhaps the reason Russell didn't score a Jackson was b/c he acquired most/all of his T210-8's during the early months in 1910 !? (I think the Jackson was distributed later in 1910 in a 2nd release) - Can you direct me where I can see the 67 player's names that he owned in the T210-8 series ?
Hope all is well, Jeremy

tedzan
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I will post the names of the Series 8 cards later this evening.

Thanks for the info regarding Joe Jax being in a 2nd release of Series 8 cards.
I know there 114 subjects in this Series. What is the numerical breakdown of this Series ?

Best regards,

TED Z

tedzan
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Ted - Perhaps the reason Russell didn't score a Jackson was b/c he acquired most/all of his T210-8's during the early months in 1910 !? (I think the Jackson was distributed later in 1910 in a 2nd release) - Can you direct me where I can see the 67 player's names that he owned in the T210-8 series ?
Hope all is well, Jeremy

Jeremy......here you go

Allen (Mobile)
Anderson
Bartley
Bay
Berger
Bernhard
Bitteroff
Ted Breitenstein
Bronke
Brooks
Cafalu
Case
Cohen
Crandall
Cross
Jud Daly
Davis
DeMontreville
E.DeMontreville
Dick
Elliott
Erloff
Fleharty
Flood
Fritz
Greminger
Griffin
Hart
Hess
Hickman
Hohnhorst
Huelsman
Kelly
Kerwin
La fitte
Larsen
Bill Lindsey
Lynch
Manush
Marcan
Mccreery
Miller (Montgomery)
Molesworth
Newton
Nolley
Patterson
Perdue
Pratt
Rementer
Robertson
Rogers
Rohe
Schopp
Seabough
Seitz
Siegle
Steele
Swacina
Sweeney
Thomas (fielding)
Vinson
Wagner (Mobile)
Walker
Welf
Whiteman
Whitney
Wiseman

TED Z

FrankWakefield
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Jason, my understanding and current belief is that the red border Old Mill cards were distributed regionally. There was a bit of nationwide distribution, but little. For the most part, to the extent that different series are found in old collections, it was due to a bit of trading, or traveling. Consider when the good Senator was a kid, and he had an Old Mill smoking uncle who traveled a bit... might not that uncle buy a few packs of cigarettes as he traveled around, and wouldn't he save those 'foreign' red border cards for his fanatic nephew?

DixieBaseball
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Jeremy......here you go

Allen (Mobile)
Anderson
Bartley
Bay
Berger
Bernhard
Bitteroff
Ted Breitenstein
Bronke
Brooks
Cafalu
Case
Cohen
Jud Daly
Davis
DeMontreville
E.DeMontreville
Dick
Elliott
Erloff
Fisher
Fleharty
Flood
Fritz
Greminger
Griffin
Hart
Hess
Hickman
Hohnhorst
Howard
Huelsman
Kelly
Kerwin
La fitte
Larsen
Bill Lindsey
Lynch
Manion
Marcan
Miller (Montgomery)
Molesworth
Newton
Nolley
Patterson
Perdue
Pratt
Robertson
Rogers
Rowe
Schopp
Seabough
Seitz
Siegle
Steele
Swacina
Sweeney
Thomas (fielding)
Titman
Tydeman
Vinson
Wagner (Mobile)
Walker
Welf
Whiteman
Whitney
Wiseman

TED Z

Ted - This list should be at 63 as Manion, Titman, Tydeman, and Howard are from other series. So Russell had 63 of 114 Series 8 cards. What I see from his list is 54 1st release and 9 2nd release cards from the series 8.

Jason
01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Jason, my understanding and current belief is that the red border Old Mill cards were distributed regionally. There was a bit of nationwide distribution, but little. For the most part, to the extent that different series are found in old collections, it was due to a bit of trading, or traveling. Consider when the good Senator was a kid, and he had an Old Mill smoking uncle who traveled a bit... might not that uncle buy a few packs of cigarettes as he traveled around, and wouldn't he save those 'foreign' red border cards for his fanatic nephew?

Thank you for the clarification Frank.That makes sense.I would like to see this collection one day.

Abravefan11
01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Jason, my understanding and current belief is that the red border Old Mill cards were distributed regionally.

I believe the Old Mill advertisements support this regional distribution belief. It appears the ATC advertisements, originally used for the T206 set, were reused later in 1910 for the T210 set. The advertisement below ran in November of 1910 long after the T206 southern league cards had been discontinued. It specifically mentions that two cards of Texas League baseball pictures would be included.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tuyAl3nTW-0/UO6zV5Z-KcI/AAAAAAAAHwI/yC_WeOtD1S8/s912/OMTX.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nLEn9TkcHJg/UO60sVpxrGI/AAAAAAAAHw0/E5vx4KoZbKA/s500/OMTXs.jpg

tedzan
01-10-2013, 08:10 AM

FRANK

Russell's biography informs us that his father, Judge Richard B. Russell, Sr., traveled a lot (circa 1908-1911). In his travels, the Judge most likely saved for his son the
T210 cards he pulled out of OLD MILL packs, since he was well aware of Jr.'s avid enthusiasm for BB.

This could account for the various T210 Series cards in Russell's collection. Certainly, the Series 1 cards were available in Russell's district. This is reflected in his near
complete run (70 cards of 74) of the South Atlantic League.

TED Z

DixieBaseball
01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I concur with the thoughts of Frank and Tim on the regional distribution for T210's. I also believe (just my opinion) there might have been 2 releases of T210 Series 8's. I think initially there were only 75 T210 Series 8's distributed, then later or at a different time in 1910 an additional 39 were also distributed/released with the 1st release of 75. I don't think this was intentional, but perhaps rather they decided to add a few teams/regional areas to production/release. I have been collecting/tracking this series for 13 years or so and while most of the series is scarce, there are 39 cards in this series that are rare in my opinion. The players in the 8 series that have a card in the T211 Red Sun series, while scarce, come up with more frequency than the other 39 cards.

FrankWakefield
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey Jeremy...

Some of the cards have red borders that are double the width of the border on the normal red border Old Mills. Have you noticed a correlation of the distinction in releases you mention with the wide or normal borders? I once tried to find a correlation with the wide margins and the Red Sun cards... both issues have that.

Aren't the dinosaurs aplay in this thread!

tedzan
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Hey Frank

This one is :)

T-Rex TED

DixieBaseball
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Hey Jeremy...

Some of the cards have red borders that are double the width of the border on the normal red border Old Mills. Have you noticed a correlation of the distinction in releases you mention with the wide or normal borders? I once tried to find a correlation with the wide margins and the Red Sun cards... both issues have that.

Hi Frank - I believe there is correlation... (LEON - If we need to move this discussion to a T210 thread please do so, as I don't want to highjack this Russell Thread)

My notes show there are no cards from the T210-8 2nd release (38 cards) that show up with fat/wide borders. Only the cards available in the 1st release (75) can be found with a wide border. The T206/T210-8 cards are all available in fat/wide borders and double check me on this, but I don't ever recall seeing a T210-8/T206 card that has normal borders in the series 8. Bernhard,Perdue,Bay,Molesworth,Greminger,Hart,Jord an,Smith,Breitenstein,Hickman, and Pepe (T206 Proof),etc. - These players seem to always pop up with wide/fat borders and are all from the 1st series (first release if you will) of 75 subjects. There are a few other T210-8's from that 1st release that have a wide/fat border, such as Case, Babb, Bayless, etc. - All of these type of wide/fat border cards come from that Series 1 -75 subjects which suggest or at least supports that these other 39 are some how different. Due to the rarity of the 39, perhaps they were limited in how they were produced/distributed or when they were produced/distributed and also may suggest why the T211's never produced the 2nd series. Perhaps these didn't do as well or they were produced a bit later in 1910 and they decided to not proceed with the 2nd series. The T211 Series 1 - 75 subjects is what seems to help the dots connect and we also discussed some time ago the time period in which Chattanooga team joined the Southern Association. They were in the South Atlantic (Series 1 if they would have stayed in that league) League in 1909. In 1910 they take Little Rock's spot in the Southern Association and this is where I believe there seems to be some emphasis on the 2nd release b/c all 10 of the Chattanooga players were not available in the T211 75 subjects which I believe we know were produced in early 1910 and Chattanooga is the only team not featured in the T211 set. 10 of the 39 cards are Chattanooga Lookout cards. 2 players from New Orleans team (back to Ted's original point about why Russell didn't have a Joe Jackson, but had so many of the T210-8's) are not available in the T211 set as well. Maxwell & Jackson. The other 13 of 15 Pelican players can be found with more regularity, even though they are scarce, and were all available in series 1 from the T211 set. If you study the 38 players it becomes a bit more glaring, but only if you have been tracking/watching the T210-8 series set for some time. I know this so far in the weeds but it is good to have a few dinosaur's grazing!

tedzan
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Jeremy

How's about adding T206/T211 Greminger to this mix.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/at206gremingert211.jpghttp://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/tz1234zaz/bt206gremingert211.jpg

T-Rex TED

cfc1909
01-10-2013, 03:51 PM
some good info here but

The series 8 Old Mill has 114 card checklist.

206 cards that appear in t210 series 8 do not all have fat borders

thin borders are Foster, Fritz, Paige and Seitz

the Fritz card is really cool. The t206 pose is a side view and t210 and t211 is the front view

http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909cards/southernleague/websize/Fritz206.jpg http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909cards/southernleague/websize/Fritz210.jpg

Most of the 206 players that appear in 210 do have fat borders even in the other series besides 8-example series 2 Hooker,Revelle.

Series 1 Howard and Manion have thin along with series 3 Thebo

cfc1909
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909cards/southernleague/websize/T210Foster.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909cards/southernleague/websize/Paige_1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909cards/southernleague/websize/SeitzT210.jpg

Abravefan11
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
My curiosity motivated me to contact the seller, an Atlanta Antiques dealer. He informed me that Russell's Great-Granddaughter had consigned many of Russell's duplicates to him. I ended up acquiring 87 of Russell's T206's.

Senator Russell was a life-long bachelor rumored to have been engaged once in his late twenties, but never spoke of it.

Jason
01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Great information in this thread.Also some nice cards.I had never seen the T210 Fritz.I like that pose as well.Pretty cool.

tedzan
01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Richard Russell, Jr. was quite a ladies man; and, nearly married Patricia Collins in 1938. Their religious differences ultimately prevented them from marrying.

In 2006, when I contacted the Atlanta Antiques dealer (by phone), we had a lengthy conversation regarding the provenance of the T206's & T210's that
he was selling on ebay. He told me that a local lady in her 50's consigned 200+ cards for him to sell. As the discussion continued he said that she was the
Great-Granddaughter of Richard Russell. She had found these cards in the drawer of a desk which had been a family heirloom for several generations.

Fast-forward to 2008, I acquired Richard Russell, Jr.'s biography and in reading thru it, I realized that he was never married. In reflecting back to my con-
versation with the Antiques dealer, I concluded that he must of meant that the lady that consigned these cards to him was Richard Russell, Sr.'s Great-
Granddaughter. And, if you do the math, her age would better fit that scenario.

In any event, the Antiques dealer was very knowledgeable of the Russell family, he was very sincere, and certainly willing to share with me any information
regarding Russell's collection. I have no doubt that his story was true.

Incidently, the "Elite Eight" subjects in Russell's T206 collection have both the PIEDMONT 150 & 350 backs (with the exception of Dahlen & Schulte....both
missing the P 350).

However, included in the 87 cards, that I acquired from this dealer, is a PIEDMONT 350 Dahlen.

TED Z

DixieBaseball
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Meant to post this pic of the 1909 Chattanooga Lookouts from the South Atlantic League. On this PC is Alcock & Meek which are the 2 players that were on the T206 SL Proofs. These guys switched leagues to Southern Association in 1910, and were left out of the T211 eary 1910 release of Series 1 75 subjects. I believe the same 75 T210-8's were released early in 1910 as well, and then sometime later the remaining 39 were released which included 10 Chattanooga players among a sampling from other teams including the 2 NO players, Jackson and Maxwell.

DixieBaseball
01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Ted - Here are a few more large border 8's and their T206 counterpart.
Frank - per your earlier post about the larger border T206-T210-8's, and possible correlation, I don't think we know the how's and why's yet, but 10 of 11 of the identical T206/T210 poses only come with the larger borders. Who knows the reason, but perhaps these were some of the earliest poses to be produced and they were cut with wide borders and then very early on in the series 8 production of the first series (75), they went more narrow with the remaining group of T210-8's. Since the T210's used the T206 poses, it would seem plausible they were the first test subjects, so perhaps the way they cut the card from sheets very early on changed. The Foster card is the lone example of T206 identical poses to have regular borders, so perhaps that card was produced in line with the other regular border T210-8's after they changed the the larger border cards in production. One thing we know for sure is the same players are cut the same way over and over, which is very interesting. This does not change the idea about there being a first series of 75 released early in 1910, then the remaining 39 released a bit later... (Chattanooga / Little Rock is the key - Little Rock was left out of the early release of 1910 T211's, and while Little Rock is absent from the T210-8's, and the only Southern Association team not represented, along comes Chattanooga which appears in the T210-8 set all cut with regular borders, and in far less quantity suggesting they were not released at the same time as the core 75 cards. Keep in mind all large border T210-8's are in that first 75, then the 39 regular border cards follow in less quantity - I think they were simply added along the way, quite possibly due to Chattanooga being the 8th team to join the Southern Association as Little Rock was on the way out and the Lookouts coming into the league. Perhaps a month or two after the early 1910 release of the original 75 cards. The large border cards suggest they were produced at the same time (early release) since you don't see a Hub Perdue for example with large and regular borders. A final point is just the fact I can draw a clear line in availability of the first 75 T210-8's and the final 39 T210-8's. I rarely see the 39, but with a little patience run across the 75... There could be various reasons for this, but since these were distributed regionally, and the timing of Chattanooga joining the league speaks to more T210-8's being released at a different time... perhaps a later date in 1910.

atx840
01-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Very informative, thank you for sharing.

DixieBaseball
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Ted - Drilling down a bit further... Sen Russell's list only contained 1 Chattanooga player and there were 10 total released in the T210-8 series. So of the 63 T210's he owned (Over half the set), he only owned 14% of the 2nd release cards (39). Of his 9 2nd release cards he owned, the Patterson-Chattanooga card was it. To own such a large group, and only have 1 Lookout card is telling as well as 86% of his T210-8's were from the 1st 75 subjects (T211 Series 1 - 75 subjects)

ScottFandango
01-11-2013, 01:13 PM
when i read your posts, I feel as if im in a time machine, trying to discover lost secrets! Love It!

tedzan
01-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Ted - Drilling down a bit further... Sen Russell's list only contained 1 Chattanooga player and there were 10 total released in the T210-8 series. So of the 63 T210's he owned (Over half the set), he only owned 14% of the 2nd release cards (39). Of his 9 2nd release cards he owned, the Patterson-Chattanooga card was it. To own such a large group, and only have 1 Lookout card is telling as well as 86% of his T210-8's were from the 1st 75 subjects (T211 Series 1 - 75 subjects)

Jeremy

Fantastic research on the OM Series 8 cards. Your premise that the 2nd series of cards in Series 8 included Joe Jax; and, that it was short-printed sounds logical to me.

Incidently, I sent you a corrected list of Russell's Series 8 cards....there are 67 in his collection. No additional Chattanooga players.

TED Z

tedzan
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
when i read your posts, I feel as if im in a time machine, trying to discover lost secrets! Love It!

Hey Scott

That is quite a compliment.

Thanks,

TED Z