PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame - wait 'til next year

Runscott
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I am happy to say that the Irish are doing better than I expected - there is a good chance that Alabama will not break 60 points, and I sincerely believe that Notre Dame will get at least 10 points.

What is up with the 'analysts' who think Notre Dame should be in this game, simply because they are undefeated? This is the same logic that got BYU a number 1 ranking back in the '70s. Notre Dame should have been dropped from consideration after the Pittsburgh game. The bowl season ended Friday with A&M's demolishing of Oklahoma.

sdkammeyer
01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I have family at the game tonight and they are BUMMED :)
I've been trying to tell them for 2 weeks that this was going to happen.

I'm saying 42-7

Runscott
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
It's still a great football experience - I'm sure they are having fun on some level.

I loved the way they cut off Brian Kelly at halftime, when he was about to surrender. Luckily they had a camera on him, ready to cut in case he started dropping f-bombs.

Jlighter
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Notre Dame can't be faulted for being in the game. Every season Notre Dame has arguably the toughest schedule in college football.

Michigan State
Michigan
Oklahoma
Stanford
USC

Much better Notre Dame then Kansas State, the most overrated team in college football.

sdkammeyer
01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Shoulda' been my Buckeyes :mad:

frankbmd
01-08-2013, 06:12 AM
I am happy to say that the Irish are doing better than I expected - there is a good chance that Alabama will not break 60 points, and I sincerely believe that Notre Dame will get at least 10 points.

What is up with the 'analysts' who think Notre Dame should be in this game, simply because they are undefeated? This is the same logic that got BYU a number 1 ranking back in the '70s. Notre Dame should have been dropped from consideration after the Pittsburgh game. The bowl season ended Friday with A&M's demolishing of Oklahoma.

Right again, Scott. The Heisman trumped the BCS this year. An Alabama-Manziel rematch would have been more meaningful, but alas they are in the same division of the same conference with LSU, not to mention Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in the other half. If Northern Illinois hadn't lost to Iowa, the National championship game might well have been the irish vs the Huskies. And even that would have been better than the BBVA Compass Bowl.

CMIZ5290
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM

+1, big time....

CMIZ5290
01-08-2013, 06:53 AM
To be perfectly honest, I think there are 4 or 5 teams in the SEC who could either beat Notre Dame, or certainly take them to the wire. While I do agree about Notre Dame's schedule, I saw them this year pull out 3 or 4 games at the very end of the game against a weak opponent....

Orioles1954
01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Notre Dame can't be faulted for being in the game. Every season Notre Dame has arguably the toughest schedule in college football.

Michigan State
Michigan
Oklahoma
Stanford
USC

Much better Notre Dame then Kansas State, the most overrated team in college football.

Michigan State: Very mediocre this season
Michigan: Consistently gets the crap beat out of them by the SEC (Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina). Another media school.
Oklahoma: Lost their bowl game 41-13.
Stanford: Very good football team
USC: First pre-season #1 in history to lose 5 games in a season, including a bowl loss to a sub .500 ACC team.

According to a couple of sources Alabama had the toughest schedule in the national while Notre Dame ranked 6th.

Orioles1954
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Right again, Scott. The Heisman trumped the BCS this year. An Alabama-Manziel rematch would have been more meaningful, but alas they are in the same division of the same conference with LSU, not to mention Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in the other half. If Northern Illinois hadn't lost to Iowa, the National championship game might well have been the irish vs the Huskies. And even that would have been better than the BBVA Compass Bowl.

For the record it was 1984 when BYU was awarded the National Title before any of the New Year's bowl games were even played. I think an Oregon-Alabama game would have been a great match-up.

vintagetoppsguy
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM

KSU sarted the season unranked. They finished with an 11-1 record and were the ONLY team to play and beat 5 ranked opponents this year (regular season). How does that make them the most overrated team in college football? Given the fact that nobody gave them a chance pre-season, I'd say they far exceeded everyone's expectations.

CMIZ5290
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
KSU sarted the season unranked. They finished with an 11-1 record and were the ONLY team to play and beat 5 ranked opponents this year (regular season). How does that make them the most overrated team in college football? Given the fact that nobody gave them a chance pre-season, I'd say they far exceeded everyone's expectations.

+1

Runscott
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow, it WAS 1984 when BYU won it all. What sucked the most was that they played 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl - any team in the top ten would have crushed them. Michigan was something like #23.

By the way, insinuating that anyone blames Notre Dame for being ranked #1 is absurd.

TUM301
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Looking forward to next year already. After seeing the high school all star games this weekend, and listening to the experts opinions on recruitment classes it sounds like N D is ready for a strong run. Another year with Kelly bringing Golson around should insure a strong 2013 campaign.

Orioles1954
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Wow, it WAS 1984 when BYU won it all. What sucked the most was that they played 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl - any team in the top ten would have crushed them. Michigan was something like #23.

By the way, insinuating that anyone blames Notre Dame for being ranked #1 is absurd.

I've followed the BYU program for years and think they should get a little more credit. They had a superb offensive scheme that churned out quarterbacks like Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Using this early passing oriented system, they defeated some very good teams in the 1980s. Would they have beat teams like Oklahoma? Who knows what would happen in a one-game scenario. But they were far from scrubs. The 1990 Miami Hurricanes got it handed to them by BYU.

Jlighter
01-08-2013, 01:56 PM

They got walloped by Baylor, and when truly test they failed miserably, against Oregon. Put The Irish against The Wildcats, the Irish will win. It will be a better game then we saw yesterday, but the Irish will win. I probably watched half of Kansas States games this year, and they did not seem impressive to me in the slightest. If we went just by rankings we would be lead to believe Northern Illinois and Vanderbilt are better then Michigan.

vintagetoppsguy
01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I probably watched half of Kansas States games this year, and they did not seem impressive to me in the slightest.

That's funny, becuase in nearly half of their games (5 of 12) they put up 50+ points on their opponent. You must have watch the other 7 games, huh?

Jlighter
01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Michigan State: Very mediocre this season
Michigan: Consistently gets the crap beat out of them by the SEC (Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina). Another media school.
Oklahoma: Lost their bowl game 41-13.
Stanford: Very good football team
USC: First pre-season #1 in history to lose 5 games in a season, including a bowl loss to a sub .500 ACC team.

According to a couple of sources Alabama had the toughest schedule in the national while Notre Dame ranked 6th.

Michigan State: Played a close game with Ohio State, beat Wisconsin and TCU.
Michigan: Almost beat South Carolina in the Capitol One Bowl, almost beat Ohio State in Columbus.
USC: very talented football team, period.

Jlighter
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
That's funny, becuase in half of their games (6 of 12) they put up 50+ points on their opponent. You must have watch the other 6 games, huh?

I watched
Miami- UVA and UNC beat them.
Oklahoma- Close Game.
West Virginia- Bad team.
Baylor- stated earlier.
Texas- won big, as did Oklahoma.
Oregon- Stated Earlier.

I'll admit they were a decent team, just did not play up to their ranking.

vintagetoppsguy
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I'll admit they were a decent team, just did not play up to their ranking.

That's just it. They weren't ranked (pre-season). Nobody gave them a chance. How could they not play up to their ranking if they weren't ranked? They had to earn their ranking week in and week out moving up in the polls by winning.

Only 1 loss in the regular season and that wasn't until week 11. Again, they beat 5 other ranked opponents. Nobody else can say that. They also won 5 games by 50+ points and 2 other games by 40+ points.

I still fail to see how that makes them the most overrated college football team in the country. If you want to talk about overrated, how about USC? They started the season ranked #1, went 7-5 and lost their bowl game. I would say they were overrated.

BTW, I watched all 12 KSU games (13 including the Fiesta Bowl) and they looked pretty strong to me in all but two of their games.

CMIZ5290
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
USC incredibly over hyped. I was hoping that pansy ass, whiny, crooked coach would have gotten the axe from Pat Haden.....

Jlighter
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I honestly don't put any weight in Pre Season AP Rankings. I'm not sure what I would replace it with. Maybe no rankings until Week 6 or something, because I don't feel there is enough of a statistical example to make a measurement on how good a team is. Every team changes every season. Notre Dame didn't make the AP Poll this preseason, LSU was third, Oklahoma fourth, Arkansas tenth, West Virignia eleventh, Michigan State thirteenth, Virignia Tech sixteenth.

In the AP Stanford was ranked 21 and Kansas Sate was ranked 22.

Runscott
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I've followed the BYU program for years and think they should get a little more credit. They had a superb offensive scheme that churned out quarterbacks like Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Using this early passing oriented system, they defeated some very good teams in the 1980s. Would they have beat teams like Oklahoma? Who knows what would happen in a one-game scenario. But they were far from scrubs. The 1990 Miami Hurricanes got it handed to them by BYU.

In 1984 they weren't the best team in the nation - my post was meant to show another example of when a team was ranked too high because it was based on their record rather than how good they were.

Orioles1954
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
In 1984 they weren't the best team in the nation - my post was meant to show another example of when a team was ranked too high because it was based on their record rather than how good they were.

None of us know if they were the best in the nation because of a broken bowl system that has yet to be fully fixed.

howard38
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Runscott
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
None of us know if they were the best in the nation because of a broken bowl system that has yet to be fully fixed.

I do. They were not.

Orioles1954
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
I do. They were not.
Have it your way. Next time, at least get the decade right before making bold declarations of fact. OK?

Runscott
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
deleted

I'm going to save my angst for something worthwhile.