PDA

View Full Version : Beckett Graded a REAL set of FRO-JOYS!

danmckee
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-Babe-Ruth-Fro-Joy-set-/290841072205?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43b77a924d

WOW! I am impressed! SGC should hire whoever Beckett has!

ScottFandango
01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
leon, i didnt know you like BGS

Leon
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
leon, i didnt know you like BGS

Where do you see BGS? I like and respect BVG grading very much which is who these are all graded by. BGS probably does good on newer stuff but I have no experience with them.

Clutch-Hitter
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I've never seen a fake, or even an iffy Fro Joy in an SGC holder. I do believe SGC stopped grading them because they were getting mostly 70's reprints and having lots of disappointed customers.

Beckett holders only real ones.

The real ones can be identified by a scan of front and back. See previous Fro Joy threads for detailed info.

GoldenAge50s
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
1 of the 6 is an SGC.

tiger8mush
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Where do you see BGS? I like and respect BVG grading very much which is who these are all graded by. BGS probably does good on newer stuff but I have no experience with them.

The name of the ebay seller for the Fro Joys is "944leon", I think thats where Scott was going w/his statement

Leon
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
The name of the ebay seller for the Fro Joys is "944leon", I think thats where Scott was going w/his statement

I saw that and it flew right over my head. :o

Exhibitman
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Props tp BVG on having the 'nards to do what a card grader should do. I had them slab my Fro Joy Ruth cards, which I knew were 100% legit from comparing them to my Fro Joy Tunney cards.

Leon
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Props tp BVG on having the 'nards to do what a card grader should do. I had them slab my Fro Joy Ruth cards, which I knew were 100% legit from comparing them to my Fro Joy Tunney cards.

+1 .....Grading companies should grade cards they know are real and not grade them if they are questionable.

drc
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I too thought the ones that were in SGC holders had looked genuine. Not sure why they stopped.

That people are sending in all sort of reprints is a big reason to grade them.

I don't think the real cards are hard to identify. It's just that there are so many reprints, and the genuine ones are rare enough most collectors haven't handled one.

I know an advanced collector of Fro Joys and he said, from the examples he had, both Beckett and SGC did a good job.

PSA graded at least one reprint I saw, but it was just a case of bone-headedness as the card was in blue ink-- not even close. That was a long time ago, so it's water under the bridge. Don't tell Travis.