PDA

View Full Version : W517 printing process- Horizontal vs Vertical

Leon
01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I did some searches and can't find where any other W517s have been shown that look to be from a horizontal strip instead of a vertical one. This Earnshaw is definitely real and looks to be cut from a horizontal strip. Anyone else ever see any W517s that look to be from horizontal strips? (that is a full strip of 3 on the left)

http://luckeycards.com/pw517stripof3andredandmiscut.jpg

Exhibitman
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Looks more like a vertical strip with a factory miscut to me. If you'll notice it is at a tilt both sides at roughly the same angle but cut to the printed line on the top. More likely the kid got the miscut strip and tried to even the borders top and bottom to make the best of it.

Clutch-Hitter
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I've seen that before (cut lines on the sides) and noticed it immediately when I did. It was an ebay auction, last year I think, but I didn't buy it. Almost did just because of that. Meant to check my own W517's but never did; will do that tonight. Glad you mentioned it.

Leon
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Looks more like a vertical strip with a factory miscut to me. If you'll notice it is at a tilt both sides at roughly the same angle but cut to the printed line on the top. More likely the kid got the miscut strip and tried to even the borders top and bottom to make the best of it.

Thanks for the response(s) Adam and Greg. Regardless if this was a vertical strip it would seem that there was another vertical strip butting up next to it for it to have that cut.

And Greg- I would wager this might be the same card you had seen. I think it had been on ebay for a long, long time.

Clutch-Hitter
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
You're right, Leon, that's the one. Nice pick-up; neat, interesting card.

Exhibitman
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes, that makes sense, Leon. Probably a whole sheet shimmied in the press while being cut from not being properly secured. Depending on cutting method used some or all of the strips would be impacted. You've got what the postwar collectors call a diamond cut.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/freaksandgeeks/websize/1969%20Jackson%20miscut.jpg