PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 1953 Glendale Tigers Set-any advice?

Gmrson
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Working in a few Detroit area card shops in the 80's I was intrigued by these cards the few times they came in. I have decided to finally start the set and am seeking to further my education on these. Any under rated cards as far as scarcity that I should not let pass over others when available? Any other insight is appreciated as well. Thanks!

pclpads
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
The set isn't necessarily rare or scarce, as they are out there. That said, cards don't come up that often. In short, if you see one that's decent, buy it, even fillers. You'll need lots of patience to do a set and lots of $ in better grades. Most of what you'll find are collector grade with stains, soft corners and creases. If you are looking to do a set in 6 or better, it will set you back and take a long time. The Houtteman is super tough. Good Luck!

pclpads
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
In case you missed it, check this site: www.jvscauctions.com

There are two SGC 30 Glendales. More info is on Leon's post re: this new AH on the N54 top forum.

insidethewrapper
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
It's a tough Regional set but doable now that ebay exists. In the "old days" it would take years to complete. Not many sets exist. Only 28 cards, with Houtteman being the toughest but is available on ebay ( big price range) ! I found the Ginsberg card also more difficult than the others. You will need a lot of money if looking for a higher card set. Not many of the cards are graded more than (1-3) due to the staining from the packaging process with Hot Dogs. You should be able to find most of the commons in low grade for under $100 if patient. Houtteman will be over $1000 in any grade. Kuenn is not a common and is priced accordingly. See attached set with 2 extra Houtteman's. I have one for sale on ebay .

Gmrson
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
The set isn't necessarily rare or scarce, as they are out there. That said, cards don't come up that often. In short, if you see one that's decent, buy it, even fillers. You'll need lots of patience to do a set and lots of $ in better grades. Most of what you'll find are collector grade with stains, soft corners and creases. If you are looking to do a set in 6 or better, it will set you back and take a long time. The Houtteman is super tough. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! I will probably get PSA 1's to 3's. I don't mind the creases, staple holes and wear as long as the card is bright and decent looking. Getting a Houtteman may take a while!

In case you missed it, check this site: www.jvscauctions.com

There are two SGC 30 Glendales. More info is on Leon's post re: this new AH on the N54 top forum.

Thanks! I did take the time to check out the site and was please to see two Glendales!

It's a tough Regional set but doable now that ebay exists. In the "old days" it would take years to complete. Not many sets exist. Only 28 cards, with Houtteman being the toughest but is available on ebay ( big price range) ! I found the Ginsberg card also more difficult than the others. You will need a lot of money if looking for a higher card set. Not many of the cards are graded more than (1-3) due to the staining from the packaging process with Hot Dogs. You should be able to find most of the commons in low grade for under $100 if patient. Houtteman will be over $1000 in any grade. Kuenn is not a common and is priced accordingly. See attached set with 2 extra Houtteman's. I have one for sale on ebay .

Thanks for the tips! It's good to know when deciding on a few available to really consider the Ginsberg. Your set looks great! I really like bright clean cards. To see three Houtteman cards at once is impressive! Your display is sharp as well! Did you make that? I will want to display my set like that also.

insidethewrapper
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Good luck going after the Glendale set and keep us posted of your progress.

ls7plus
01-16-2013, 12:45 AM

Well said, although I would certainly consider it scarce.

Best of luck,

Larry

Gmrson
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Well said, although I would certainly consider it scarce.

Best of luck,

Larry

Thanks! That made me think of a discussion my collecting friends and I had years ago about how there should be a "ranking" system like mint, nr-mt, ex-mt for rare, scarce, tough, difficult, etc. Glendales are scarce, or maybe tough? :p Funny thing is, I saw probably about 15 at the National last year but could not find 1 of the 40 or so 2011 Topps Heritage Baseball Bucks for my set. At 3-4 per case those are definatly tough!

insidethewrapper
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Here's your chance to get started. His #1 auction ended last night with 2 glendales going for under $100 each. Here's is auction # 2 with 2 more glendales. http://www.jvscauctions.com/catalog.aspx Good luck.

Gmrson
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Here's your chance to get started. His #1 auction ended last night with 2 glendales going for under $100 each. Here's is auction # 2 with 2 more glendales. http://www.jvscauctions.com/catalog.aspx Good luck.

Thanks Mike! I was watching those, but have two I hope to close the deal for in a few days. I wish I had the extra fundage to bid last night. Those were really nice cards! Thanks again for the update!

Nice cards...I can't tell if Madison had gray teeth or someone got creative!?

pclpads
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Joe's #2 auction - current - has a couple more.

Gmrson
01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Joe's #2 auction - current - has a couple more.

Thanks! Those are nice cards. I should have my first 2 purchased this weekend, but hopefully I can get one of those in the auction as well.

toppcat
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I always thought these were real nice cards. Rodeo Meats too, Wilson's-I guess meat card art hit a peak in the mid 50's!

Anyone know who produced any of these sets? Was it Topps, Bowman or just some ad agency (which is how Bowman did things of course).

Gmrson
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Picked up Owen Friend (very nice) and Harvey Kueen (rough filler) for $130. Will post pics when I receive them.

geor952
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Congrats on the pick up. You know I'm a sucker for Harv. Can't wait to see them!

Gmrson
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the pick up. You know I'm a sucker for Harv. Can't wait to see them!

Check the Jan pickups thread that you posted on before