PDA

View Full Version : I Bought Myself the new Ron Keurajian Autograph book for myself and ?

toyman55
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Just got back from a great New Years vacation. Two things awaited me that I was so anxious to get, one being my new rescue dog who I reluctantly put in a "doggy Hotel", and the other being Ron Keurajian's new book Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs. As soon as I hit the mail box and saw the package I ran inside the house to open it. WOW, the Acknowledgements, the Fay Vincent foreword, the preface and the introduction I read with great joy.

I could not wait to look through the book and compare my autographs. I ran up to my locked room of memorabilia and started to compare my autographs to his reading all about my boy hood idol, Duke Snider. I compared my signed Johnny Mize autograph to the one there happy it is real. Then I grabbed my Branch Rickey autograph and was glad to THINK it was real, but, it isn't! It would have been real had it been signed in 1916 but the 195_ date on the bottom ruined it.

Oh Well, I as elated to have the book and though I am sure I have other fakes in my collection, I still am elated. This is a GREAT BOOK!

Has anyone else had the experience of forged autographs after buying Ron's book?

r2678
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Just a real pretty Joe DiMaggio that turned out to be signed by his sister. Local ephemera dealer showed me a couple Charles Comiskey signed letters a couple months ago. I'm going to see him again next week and want to compare those with what's in the book.

autograf
01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
??

Don't understand your 1916 v. 195_ argument.....
Rickey born 12-20-1881, died 12-09-1965, so 195_ would be a viable date he COULD have signed something. Your Rickey sig looks a little different than others I've seen but I'm not entirely sure about it's authenticity. Maybe someone else could weigh in on it.

Plus I'd assume that, while Ron's book is a great illustrator of autographs, it's not inconceivable that something could be authentic while not looking EXACTLY like an auto in his book......it's a 'GUIDE' after all.

Don't throw away the Rickey just yet........anyone?

toyman55
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
The reason being is that my autograph looks exactly like the one he shows in his book from 1916 where his examples of Rickey's later autographs from the 1940's on have no resemblance to mine. I wish it were so, but not holding my breath.

JimStinson
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Rickey used a secretary as well as signing his own stuff , I have examples of both which I'll post tomorrow ...also the book is great BUT there are some areas of very slight disagreement.....smile , remember no one in this world is going to agree on everything all of the time. ESPECIALLY autographs but am always willing to state my case and let you make the decision in the meantime watch the classic movie "12 angry men" with Henry Fonda. It relates well...cheers