PDA

View Full Version : Early 1980's Presentation Football Question

gashouse34
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
My apologies for this not being a card question....I have somebody selling a couple of Presentation Footballs from an NFL team in the early 1980's. The Ball shows each season's complete record which I presume it was presented after the end of each season. The balls were presented to a member of the coaching staff rather than an actual player. The balls have the names of the entire roster on them. I'd like to make an offer to him but not sure what they might be worth? Any ideas of what would be a fair offer? Thanks for any help provided.

pgellis
12-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Before you can even begin to come up with a value, you need to disclose which team and which year the footballs are from.

gashouse34
12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Before you can even begin to come up with a value, you need to disclose which team and which year the footballs are from.

Thanks for your response Phil...they are both from the St Louis Cardinals in 1983 and 1984 or 85 I believe.

gashouse34
12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
There is actually one on ebay right now that looks nearly identical that was given as a game ball to a player in 1979. The seller is asking $1295 which seems very high priced to me but maybe that's a fairly accurate market value?

pgellis
12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Hey Brandon.

That's a little tough to put an accurate figure on the footballs your interested in without a photo, but the reason I asked which team it was because obviously if they won the Super Bowl that year or their conference, it would add to the value.

A presentation ball to a particular player would be valued higher than the balls you are talking about because usually he is the "player of the game" so to speak. If it is a presentation ball to a HOFer, then obviously the value increases. I think $1295 is a bit high for that ball on eBay.

Back to the balls you are interested in. There's no way to tell how many of those balls they gave out to the coaching staff, etc., since they seem rather "generic".

But, since the mid-1980s Cardinals were not a very good team, my best guess would be about $250-$300 per ball if they are in great shape.

gashouse34
12-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the help Phil...that value is more in line with what I was thinking. Brandon