PDA

View Full Version : The Pride of My Collection

paul
12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Many of you know that I have been putting together a collection of at least one card of every Hall of Famer. I've finally decided to publicly display that collection right here on Net 54. Just click on the "Community" link near the top of the page, and then click on Pictures & Albums.

My album is named "Hall of Fame Favorites." It includes one card of each Hall of Famer from my collection. Naturally, I picked my favorite card of each player. Each card is career contemporary. Each card is in its own frame that I created electronically, and you can think of this gallery as the first gallery in a virtual museum. Later, I plan to post galleries of Hall of Fame rookie cards and other non-Hall of Fame favorite cards of mine. (You'll notice there are no rookies here. That's because they will be in the other gallery).

As far as completeness goes, I'm searching for a Deacon White, which I am sure I will get some day, and a Pete Hill, which I probably never will get. Some would say I need the G&B Al Spalding and some might also say that I need the uncut Mallorquina sheet that includes the only known Willie Foster. I'd also like to upgrade my Burkett to a W600. I do have a Hank O'Day, but I haven't yet "framed" it so it's not in the gallery yet. Even with these shortcomings, I believe this is the most complete collection of career contemporary Hall of Famer cards ever assembled. I hope you all enjoy the gallery. And I hope others are inspired to post their collections here.

freakhappy
12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Great looking collection Paul...something to be proud of for sure!

Jlighter
12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Great collection.

If you had to choose, which is your favorite?

Joe_G.
12-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Very nice presenatation of a great collection, well done! Sweet K-Bats Wright.

DeanH3
12-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Incredible. Something to be proud of for sure. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Sean
12-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Amazing collection. I love the Billy Hamilton.

teetwoohsix
12-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Beautiful collection Paul, really like how you framed them. The album feature on Net54 is awesome. It was very enjoyable to see all of the different types- great idea!! Thanks for posting, you have an excellent variety.

Sincerely, Clayton

Rickyy
12-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Very nice collection!

Ricky Y

bcbgcbrcb
12-30-2012, 05:41 AM
All I can say is WOW, Paul! Really like the framed effect as well.

I assume that some of these will double as your Rookie Cards as well, I never knew that you had such a magnificant collection of Negro League HOF Rookie Cards: Charleston, Cooper, Day, Torriente, Lloyd (2nd), H. Smith (2nd), Mackey & Mendez. Strictly amongst Negro League collections, yours would be at the top of the list. Not to mention: Delahanty, Dreyfuss, Galvin, H. Wright, McPhee and, of course, Selee.

Great stuff, I can't wait to see your album of HOF Rookie Cards!

ScottFandango
12-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Very cool Virtual Museum!

Jason
12-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Very nice presentation.Good luck on the search for the other ones you want/need!

Bicem
12-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Great collection Paul, thanks for sharing!!

Leon
12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Congrats Paul. That might be the nicest way I have seen to display cards in that section. Please let me know if you have any issues there. Love it!!

HRBAKER
12-30-2012, 07:38 AM
A worthy endeavor and superb accomplishment.
Thanks for sharing.

h2oya311
12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Great stuff! And holy Harry Wright Kalamazoo! That card is sick!!!

Ditto to Phil's post -- can't wait to see the HoF rookie collection! I saw plenty of rookies in this display! All the best in your pursuit of the last few items you need! If I could, I'd help you out.

triwak
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Outstanding, Paul!!!

My HOF set:
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/triwak/

paul
12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank you everyone. I'm glad you all enjoyed them. It's tough to answer Jake's question -- which one is my favorite. Certainly, the Selee has to be right up there at the top, since it is the only known copy of his only card. I also like the Jennings because there is so little of him out there as a player, and he was elected to the Hall of Fame as a player. Just on pure looks, the Cobb, Keeler, and Brown would be near the very top.

Paul

paul
12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I've now uploaded the Hall of Fame rookie gallery. For each Hall of Famer in the gallery, I've tried to include their earliest known card, including minor league cards. If I don't have the player's minor league card in my collection, or if the player doesn't have a minor league card, then I went with the major league rookie. In a few exceptional cases, I went another early card of the player. If a player did not have a card in his first two or three full seasons, then in my opinion he doesn't have a rookie card and he is most likely not in this gallery. In a few cases, I stretched the definition of a "card." For Nellie Fox and George Kell, I included team issue photos because I wanted something of both of these players from their early days with the A's.

This collection is by no means complete. You'll find no Just So Cy Young in here. No Matty. No Wagner. Just cards that I actually own.

Enjoy. The gallery of my "other favorites" will be up in a few minutes. It's very small.

bcbgcbrcb
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Very nice, Paul.

I need your Schoendienst & Wynn if you ever decide to part with them, never seen another of either one.

JLange
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you for sharing!

Brian B@rry
12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I'll come out of lurkdom for this. Fantastic display, fantastic collection. A fine eye for not necessarily the most valuable card of each HOFer, but the best. Just great. Congratulations and thanks.