PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams autograph???

Big Ben
12-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I normally do not collect autographs unless I get them in person. However, I have made a few exceptions. This is one of the exceptions that I made in the mid 1980's. The articles in this Life magazine are a cool time capsule. That being said, I was looking for an opinion from the knowledgeable people on this forum about the Williams autograph.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinions.

Ben

Wymers Auction
12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
I like it, but I am not one of the knowledgeable ones.

Deertick
12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
No good. I only got to the first letter. And the 3rd letter is missing sumptin. And I usually have trouble with Teddy!

ss
12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
It's perfectly good signature.

Mr. Zipper
12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
It's perfectly good signature.

Agreed. Moreover, if this was a fake, I doubt Ted Williams forgeries of this quality existed in the 80s. At the time it was probably a $20 or less signature.

sdkammeyer
12-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I just found this one and was comparing it to yours.

shelly
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
The one with the Mantle is not even close to the other Williams. One is really nice the other is a piece of garbage. I choose number one.:D

isaac2004
12-30-2012, 01:10 PM
I just found this one and was comparing it to yours.

This is a well known forgery of both mantle and williams

Big Ben
12-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. This is one of the reasons I love this forum!!! I knew that I was taking a chance when I bought this, but couldn't pass up the magazine. I know my other autographs are legitimate as I got them in person.:)

Big Ben
12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Agreed. Moreover, if this was a fake, I doubt Ted Williams forgeries of this quality existed in the 80s. At the time it was probably a $20 or less signature.

Those were the days!! I remember going to a regional show and paying $36 for four Joe Dimaggio autographs. I even got to shake hands with the Yankee Clipper! Good times!:)

Deertick
12-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Well. apparently I'm wrong! I guess I still have trouble with Teddy. I didn't like (what looked to me) as a slowly drawn start to the 'e' and the 'i'. Also, I've never seen an incomplete 'd' like that.

I guess it's better to pass on some authentics that I'm not sure of than let some junk through. I'm like a super aggressive spam filter. Even Mom sometimes gets tossed.

isaac2004
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Well. apparently I'm wrong! I guess I still have trouble with Teddy. I didn't like (what looked to me) as a slowly drawn start to the 'e' and the 'i'. Also, I've never seen an incomplete 'd' like that.

I guess it's better to pass on some authentics that I'm not sure of than let some junk through. I'm like a super aggressive spam filter. Even Mom sometimes gets tossed.

I am by no means an expert, but for me, the giveaway in an authentic Williams is the 'd' to 'W' and the size of the letters in the last name.

bobbyw8469
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Odd...it looks good to me, although the 'd' in Ted looks off......

JimStinson
12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Something to keep in mind is that those magazines were big and it looks like he signed LARGE, would account for the variables....My 2 cents

Big Ben
12-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Something to keep in mind is that those magazines were big and it looks like he signed LARGE, would account for the variables....My 2 cents

Interesting. I am not trying to influence anyone's opinion as I am not 100% certain, but I never thought of a variance based on the size of the signature. I measured parts of the signature. The "T" is 1 1/2 inches (from the top to the loop that goes into the "e". The "W" is roughly an inch. The questionable "D" is roughly a half an inch. From top to bottom, the Life magazine is 14 inches and it is 10 1/2 inches wide.

I very much appreciate everyone's input!:)

Ben

shelly
12-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Big Ben, check these out

230903729445 Item number:

JimStinson
12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Try this exercise as an example of variance ...Use your own signature. Write it standing up, sitting down, while you are walking, write it using different pens, sign it small and large. Write it when you are ticked off and when you are happy, write it after a couple of beers, Then compare them... are they all exactly the same ??
Now make it MORE interesting compare those signatures of yours to something you signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago. None of them will be exactly the same all of the time.

Big Ben
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Big Ben, check these out

230903729445 Item number:

Interesting! Leaving my example out of this, the "T's" in those examples look totally different. At least to this untrained eye!

Try this exercise as an example of variance ...Use your own signature. Write it standing up, sitting down, while you are walking, write it using different pens, sign it small and large. Write it when you are ticked off and when you are happy, write it after a couple of beers, Then compare them... are they all exactly the same ??
Now make it MORE interesting compare those signatures of yours to something you signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago. None of them will be exactly the same all of the time.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. But my handwriting is terrible to start with!:D

Leon
01-02-2013, 07:16 AM
For what it's worth when I write my signature it seems to come out differently quite often. I am sure it has changed over time.

Big Ben
10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Thought I would resurrect this thread that I started a while ago. I decided to put my magazine through the third party grading process and I received the results today. Genuine from JSA!! I had to crop the scan to fit in this thread. Obviously, I am very pleased, and it also adds to the fond memories of my hobby experiences in the mid 1980's.

shelly
10-24-2013, 07:20 PM
It feels good to know that you have people on this site that know what they are doing. Nice piece.:)

Big Ben
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
It feels good to know that you have people on this site that know what they are doing. Nice piece.:)

Thanks. That is one of the reasons I registered on this site. I have been able to pick up some really good tips from great people!:)