PDA

View Full Version : Why so much?

wazoo
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone, how have you all been? Well, I was watching this card last night and wanted to know why it sold for $455? I mean, an Admiral Schlei with a Sovereign 460 back is pretty common. I see them every once in a while. I mean I have a Rube Geyer SGC 50 Sovereign 460 and it would never sell for so much! If anyone could help, thank you.

Link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190774271003&index=17&nav=SEARCH&nid=31551335702

Batter67up
12-29-2012, 10:09 AM
When you look at the bidding activity, it looks like 2 bidders pushed the price up beginning at $201.00 all the way to its selling price. Maybe they both wanted this card real bad and were willing to pay more than it was worth?

T206DK
12-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone, how have you all been? Well, I was watching this card last night and wanted to know why it sold for $455? I mean, an Admiral Schlei with a Sovereign 460 back is pretty common. I see them every once in a while. I mean I have a Rube Geyer SGC 50 Sovereign 460 and it would never sell for so much! If anyone could help, thank you.

Link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190774271003&index=17&nav=SEARCH&nid=31551335702

perhaps the bid history may tell a story ? I was very surprised at the price this card fetched also

Jlighter
12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
One sold last year in a PSA 5 holder for 203.50

Someone placed a large auto bid and was surprisingly out bid, I guess someone really wanted this card, as VCP only shows a few being sold in the past few years, obviously not a concrete source, but pretty reliable.

wazoo
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Indeed. Regardless of $200, I wouldnt pay more than $175 for the card. I've seen the front back combination several times. It's not extremely rare.

sdkammeyer
12-29-2012, 10:23 AM
it's all in the fine print my dear Watson :)

"Cards are shipped inside bubble wrap envelope and/or cardboard box."

There's where the extra $200 goes :) :)

wazoo
12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
it's all in the fine print my dear Watson :)

"Cards are shipped inside bubble wrap envelope and/or cardboard box."

There's where the extra $200 goes :) :)

Obviously! How could I overlook this?!

Jlighter
12-29-2012, 10:28 AM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190732939712

T206Hound(Board member) bought this card from him, so I'm sure he can attest to his great shipping techniques.

Gradedcardman
12-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I have seen 2 in the last year sell on ebay. I am sure some others sold via private transactions. According to VCP, 2 have sold since 2009. Not a very common card on the public sites. A great card, one of my favorites !!

wazoo
12-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Very true. That is graded wise. For raw stuff though, I have seen it various times. When I see a Schlei portrait, I usually assume it has a Sovereign 460 back until I look at back scans. It's a beautiful card, no doubt, but not for $455 in my opinion. But who am I to say anything?

freakhappy
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Very true. That is graded wise. For raw stuff though, I have seen it various times. When I see a Schlei portrait, I usually assume it has a Sovereign 460 back until I look at back scans. It's a beautiful card, no doubt, but not for $455 in my opinion. But who am I to say anything?

If a Schlei Portrai Sov 460 goes for $455, then a Murphy Red Hindu must go for 30K, right? In the end it only makes sense ;)

In all seriousness it looks like a few people battling it out in which the price goes crazy. I've seen this happen countless times and the VCP goes out the window. However, this seems to be happening more lately than ever IMO.

wazoo
12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I completely agree with you Mike! Great point.

Rob D.
12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Something to consider: Collecting T206 backs has never been more popular. And not just Red Hindus, Carolina Brights and the other glamorous backs. More and more collectors are trying to put together subsets of more common backs. If someone is close to completing a subset, and a card from his want list shows up, he might not worry about paying more than the collective community thinks is reasonable.

About four years ago, a back I needed to complete a run of one of the Lajoie poses was a Cycle 460. Another collector and I placed high snipes when one showed up on eBay, and I ended up paying quite a premium as the result. It didn't bother me in the least, but apparently the price was considered so outrageous that a thread was started about it on this very board. I found it funny that a number of people just couldn't figure out why someone would pay such a price for what they thought was a relatively common back. It made perfect sense to me: I didn't know when another would turn up, and I wanted this one.

(As a side note: Since then, I've not see another come to auction, and the price I paid would likely be considered "acceptable" today -- and maybe even a deal.)

Finally, if a card always sold for what the previous example brought, prices would never go up and down. Since we know that's not realistic, it shouldn't be all that surprising when a blip on the VCP radar screen pops up.

wazoo
12-29-2012, 12:22 PM
That is very true as well. When I looked at the card one more time, that was the one thing I factored in this possibility. I think it is pricy, but the point you make is completely valid. thank you for the input.

mrvster
12-29-2012, 09:03 PM
i was an under- bidder....as you know i am half way done with the sov 460 subset....scheli port is very hard to track down, and i need that one....there are several in the subset that are much tufer than the others...THANK GOD i have the cobby which i picked up in october by a small miracle;)....anyway, iv been trying to put the subset together in fair to good cond and the card was a little nicer than i wanted....thought it would go 250.00 or so, but i was surprised it brought that....:confused:...2 bidders fought it out, i stepped aside and picked up a sweet ass scrap instead:D

wazoo
12-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Smart choice! Good luck finding another :)

atx840
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
It's interesting that the same suspicious s**s account bidding on Probstein also bid on this card.

Another one will show up Johnny.....you scored today :)

mrvster
12-30-2012, 07:30 PM
the doolan scrap is sick and id much rather have that:D

Sterling Sports Auctions
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Rob, I guess I never saw the threads on the lajoie Cycle 460 at such a high price. But I will attest that since I started making an effort to get one of each of the Cycle 460 backs, which is about 8 years ago, the one you bought and one in a Sloate auction are the only 2 I have ever seen for sale. I also have a hand of Cycle 460s that I have never seen for sale before or since I was able to obtain the one I have.

There are definately individual cards in each back that are tougher than others.

By the way, if the person that was able to get the Schlei port Cycle 460, off the BST about a month is interested I would love to add it to my subset, currently on hold at 88 different.

Happy New Year

Lee