Bumpus Jones
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Here's one for Lew Riggs...

Rob D.
12-27-2012, 07:51 PM

http://legendaryauctions.com/ItemImages/000123/127492a_lg.jpeg

ksfarmboy
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Have yet to see one of those from a fellow Kansan but I've got something similar.

kdixon
12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Here are a few of Zach Wheat.

Rob D.
12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
As much as I like Boudreau's lifetime Major League Baseball pass, I think this one, issued to him by the American Basketball League for the 1961-62 season, is even cooler.

Boudreau was a standout basketball player at Illinois and even played a little professionally, so it made sense that he'd have this pass. Plus, this was the short-lived ABL's inaugural season, with the Cleveland entry -- the Pipers -- being owned by George Steinbrenner.

http://legendaryauctions.com/ItemImages/000123/127494a_lg.jpeg

Jay Wolt
12-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Rob, that's very cool!
It has Abe Saperstein listed as the commish.
He owned the Harlem Globetrotters and is in the Basketball Hall Of Fame

Michael B
12-30-2012, 01:22 AM
I know this is not a baseball pass, but still a nice lifetime membership pass. He competed in 3 events in speedskating at the 1924 Olympics, but did not medal.

Scott Garner
12-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Neat thread, Chris!

Close, but no cigar, but I thought these might still fit this thread.
Here are six membership passes to various oddball organizations that HOF Bob Feller was involved in.

These were some of my favorite pickups at the Baltimore National this year.
All of these originally came from Mr. Feller's personal estate.

johnmh71
12-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Neat thread, Rob!

Close, but no cigar, but I thought these might still fit this thread.
Here are six membership passes to various oddball organizations that HOF Bob Feller was involved in.

These were some of my favorite pickups at the Baltimore National this year.
All of these originally came from Mr. Feller's personal estate.

I like the Sheriff's Association card. It is signed on the back by Ernie Shore, who was the key pitcher in the 1916 World Series for the Red Sox.

Scott Garner
12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I like the Sheriff's Association card. It is signed on the back by Ernie Shore, who was the key pitcher in the 1916 World Series for the Red Sox.

John,
Thanks, that's my favorite one as well.

BTW, in June of 1917 Babe Ruth and Ernie Shore combined for one of baseball's most unusual games. Ruth was the starting pitcher and got into a fight with home plate umpire Brick Owen over balls and strikes. Ruth walked the first batter for Washington, Ray Morgan, on 4 pitches. Ruth proceeded to take a swing at the umpire believing that Owens was squeezing him on the strike zone, and was subsequently ejected from the game.

Ernie Shore came into the game in relief of Ruth with no outs recorded in the 1st inning. Ray Morgan was immediately thrown out trying unsuccessfully to steal 2nd base. Ernie Shore proceeded to retire the next 26 batters in succession for what essentially was a perfect game. In 1991 the rules surrounding what defines what is a no-hitter and perfect game changed eliminating one of the most overpowering pitching performaces in ML history.

CW
12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Beautiful pieces, guys! These passes are not only special for their eye-appealing design and decoration, but for what they represent. How cool would it have been to be issued one of these passes and have the freedom to go to any MLB game of your choosing?

Bumpus Jones
01-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks for everyone's contributions!

CooperstownExpert
05-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Just found this thread on the passes. They're one of my favorite things to collect.

For years, the lifetime passes were undervalued and could be picked up relatively inexpensively. Now it's a little tougher.

Here are three from the collection.

The paper pass is an example for Sliding Billy Hamilton is an example of the very first passes given. The gold pass for Bobby Wallace is an example of passes given to players with at least 20 years by 1934. Gold and silver passes replaced the initial paper passes.

The leather Haddix pass is a bit more unusual. I've also got his golden metal pass.

There are ten more if anyone wants to see them. I know this thread is old so there might not be interest.

Happy collecting.

Leon
05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Cooperstown- those are cool passes. Just because not too many members post in a thread doesn't mean hundreds don't look and appreciate. Welcome to the forum!!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
These are very cool. I wonder how one uses the pass?

6-4-3memorabilia
05-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Does MLB or the teams issue lifetime passes anymore?

CooperstownExpert
05-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Yes, MLB still issues them. It's now given to players after they complete their 8th year. It used to be more difficult. Lifetime passes were the brainchild of Ford Frick. Here are a couple more that look different than the others.

The first is for the Federal League's all-time home run champ. The next one is what is more common. This style was around for a long time and can be dated by the names of the league presidents.

Then there's Early Wynn's lifetime pass to the Hall and finally Joe Cronin's lifetime pass -- with his own facsimilie signature as league president.

Kind of fun.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
learn something new everyday on here

BradH
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
I've always thought these passes are pretty cool. Here is an example of the modern-day MLB Lifetime Pass. It's metalic and about the size of a credit card. The back is blank. Players today still receive these after they've reached their MLB service milestone.

This pass (not part of my collection) just came in the mail from the league office on Friday and I've scanned it to show here, with the permission of the player. I'm not sure how many guys actually still use their pass these days, but they all seem pretty excited when they get them, which is nice to see.

CooperstownExpert
05-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Beautiful pass there for BJ Upton. Once MLB did away with league presidents and combined them to the commish's office, a lot changed. The new passes are directly from Selig's office.

These may end up difficult to date later if the service milestone of 8 years gets forgotten in history. There's no facsimilie signatures to help the dating process.

Here are a couple more parts to add. The first image is a little note that accompanied the paper passes. The second image is a note that came with the metal passes.

The third image is the back of the Cronin pass. Of all the passes I have and have seen it's the only one with any sort of writing on the back.

By the way, thanks for the thread, Leon. It's neat to see these and interact with everyone.

bbpostcards
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM
A slight shift off the main topic of lifetime passes, but I thought I'd share them for the good of the order. Apart from the first one, they pertain to the iconic McCredies of the Portland teams of the Pacific Coast League, Northwestern League, and Pacific Coast International League (1918), Walter McCredie and his uncle William Wallace McCredie. I'd be delighted to hear from you if you have passes that would compliment these. For more, visit http://www.sportingoregon.com (http://www.sportingoregon.com) .

6-4-3memorabilia
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Now I want to find one to purchase. What are usually the price ranges for these? Of course a HOF'er will be more but would one of a lesser player go for?

BradH
05-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Now I want to find one to purchase. What are usually the price ranges for these? Of course a HOF'er will be more but would one of a lesser player go for?

This Johnny Pesky pass sold recently in a Hunt auction - $1,300 I believe. But that's on the high end because he's a popular player from a very popular team and era. Newer ones - especially those of more common players - can be had for much less.

CooperstownExpert
05-27-2014, 03:52 PM
MLB Lifetime passes are going to he a few hundred dollars even for the most basic if players. Season passes can be found for as low as $5. They sure are nice collectables

CooperstownExpert
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Here's Bill Dickey's lifetime membership to the Little Rock Boys Club. I forgot I had it. It looks like I'm going to consign it and an plaque the Yanks gave Dickey on Old Timers Day, 1965. Not sure if this even belongs with the rest of the posts.

CooperstownExpert
06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Here's one for Lew Riggs...

Chris,
Did you ever sell that Lew Riggs pass?

Jim

keating3620
06-28-2014, 10:05 AM
what is the Cub pass for? I don't see anything written on it that there is a "pass to all games"

Gary Dunaier
06-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Here's how lifetime passes were dealt with at Citi Field last year, as per the "2013 Credentials" posters displayed at various entry points in the ballpark.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2870/8780110578_1e7e9afba5_b.jpg

Underneath the image of the pass, it says:

Gold Lifetime Passes are subject to individual club policies. In addition, a number of lifetime passes have been issued to veterans of war, prisoners of war and other military personnel. Please honor then when presented, subject to your individual club policies, and/or call the Club Relations Department at Major League Baseball should there be any questions.

CooperstownExpert
06-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Gary,
Nice post. Every MLB press box and club house has a similar sign. Do you know the Mets policy in "honoring" lifetime passes? A friend who has one got denied at the Angels during Jeter's last visit.

He said it's the first he's had that happen. Also the Cubs just let him in, but don't give him a ticket.

I wonder what the Mets do

BradH
06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Nearly every team honors the lifetime passes with the "best available seats" for the cardholder, unless the game is a sellout (then there are no guarantees, and sometimes no admittance is granted). Some clubs offer seats in the same section where the current players' friends/family sits. Most clubs are pretty good about it, a couple not as much.

CooperstownExpert
06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Interesting. I haven't quite found the consistency yet.

The Padres and the Angels offer very good tickets to games when they can, but they're nowhere near best available. It's like the club policy dictates the best to a certain point, no matter how great the best available are.

I'm going to witness how the Red Sox (July 28) and Yankees (July 23rd) handle the pass in late July.

I sure would think that they'd be required to give entrance to a regular-season game.

I've got a minor league pass that they've given fully best available for. Whole different ball game there.

BradH
06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
The Padres and the Angels offer very good tickets to games when they can, but they're nowhere near best available. It's like the club policy dictates the best to a certain point, no matter how great the best available are.

Correct. And it's important to remember - the “best available seats" doesn’t necessarily mean the “best seats in the house.” I don’t know of any teams that puts these cardholders in seats right next to the dugout or in the club seats right behind home plate. It might happen from time to time (on a real slow night) but that is probably not their general club policy.

CooperstownExpert
07-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Correct. And it's important to remember - the “best available seats" doesn’t necessarily mean the “best seats in the house.” I don’t know of any teams that puts these cardholders in seats right next to the dugout or in the club seats right behind home plate. It might happen from time to time (on a real slow night) but that is probably not their general club policy.

Brad, do you have any tie to any club or any experience with using a pass? I also have a Minor League Lifetime pass. It's a whole different story there. Best available means best in the house. They always take care of me.

I was just wondering about your experience because your posts sound like you have some sort of tie. If so, I'd be really interested.

thecatspajamas
07-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I think these are actually season passes (forgive me), but still pretty cool. Clark Griffith with the passes he was to present to President and Mrs. Hoover for the 1930 season. The President's pass is housed in a small billfold, and Mrs. Hoover's in a purse. I've seen the billfolds (or similar) before, but has anyone seen a "season pass purse?"

Jay Wolt
07-04-2014, 07:19 AM
I have a few season passes of various players incl HOFers Lefty Gomez & Tom Connally.
Here's Connally's 1954 NL pass that I won from LOTG. He was inducted in 1953

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/ItemImages/000002/2758a_lg.jpeg

CooperstownExpert
07-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Jay,
Those are great. If you ever decide to sell or if you want to trade, let me know. I'd especially be interested in the Tommy Connolly season pass. It's beautiful!

CooperstownExpert
07-04-2014, 12:13 PM
The Angels honored a friend's lifetime pass last night with two tickets in the Terrace Level, Aisle 225. They are $45 face value seats, the best aisle in that price range. One aisle over is $65. That must be their threshold...best available within the $45 range. Very good seats, but certainly not the best unsold tickets that remained.

CooperstownExpert
07-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Here's a letter from AL President William Harridge to Washington Senators owner Clark Griffith instructing him to give a season pass to President Eisenhower and VP Richard Nixon. Also, a wire photo from six days letter that features Griffith giving the pass to Ike. I wish I had the pass to go along with these two pieces!