PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ jersey. Is it a wwii service team, drew field?

MENAHAN319
12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I found this jersey among some items in my parents house. It's a light gray, w/ dk gray pin stripes with red stitching and reads "drew field" or "drewfield". It's a button down pullover type jersey, that feels like wool or wool blend. I did some online research and i found that there was a drew field signal corps. Ive been finding all sorts of references to the team, i think. I've read "drew field bombers" , "drew field nine" and "drew signal team". I believe that the team was the drew field army air force base, or the army air corps, later known as the air force. I found some interesting info about drew field in tampa,fl, + 2 movies were filmed on the base, "air force" in 1943 and "a guy named joe" starring spencer tracy. There were pro baseball players that enlisted and played on the team: Fred swindells, vito tamulis, carlos moore, etc..

Anyway, i think this jersey can be connected with this service team that played in the florida west coast baseball (service) league, but i have not been able to find a photo that shows their jerseys. Anyone have a photo of a player in a drew field jersey? Thanks

Dto7
12-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Have looked though the Drew Field Echoes military newspaper (http://ufdc.ufl.edu/dmnl/results/?t=drew field&f=ZZ) there are 97 issues.

MENAHAN319
12-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks, Don. Actually, when I was doing research online, I came across several articles from the base's paper. Thanks to you, I was able to go through all issues(if needed), and came across this photo. Yes, the jersey I have is the same as the ones they are wearing in the photo! thanks again!
Tara

Deertick
12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Some Tampa history right there. Nice!

MENAHAN319
12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, it is. thanks. I can't even imagine playing baseball in a heavy wool jersey lie this, in Tampa's hot and humid climate. yikes!