PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth bat question

mitleth
12-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new to all of this collecting stuff, and am not in any stretch of the imagination an expert. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out on what a certain bat might be worth?

I don't know the exact size/length. I never looked. However, I was in a local antique shop and the owner had a 1932 Babe Ruth Store Model Louisville Slugger. It said Powerized and Bone Rubbed so I knew the year.

I know value goes off of condition a lot of times, but do you bat experts have any idea what I should expect to pay to get my hands on this bat?

The one thing that bugged me about the bat was that it had a black wrapping on in it about midway up the handle all the way to the handle end of the Louisville Slugger logo oval.

Any help you guys could give me would be great! Thanks!

-Mitch

BigJJ
12-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Always want to do your own homework, regardless of what the seller says it is. He can say it's store model and it can be pro; he can say it's pro and it can be store model. Good going on the '32 ID. Take note of the model number in the oval centerbrand on the bat barrel, Is it a 125 or a 40BR? If it's 40BR it's store model. If it's 125, take a look at the bottom of the knob and see if it states the number of inches of the bat, 34",35",36", etc. If the knob states the number of inches, then it's a store model. If not, it may be a pro, but you need to see if the inch marks were removed from the knob, other restoration, and check out a few more things to make certain, can post photos here if you like. Once determined to be pro model, then you need to determine if it's Ruths, let us know if it's pro model and we can further guide if it is. With regard to store model bats, a 125 store model is generally a little more valuable than a 40BR store model, condition is a factor of course, the Babe Ruth branded signature is important, how strong it is. Also the number of inches, want 34-36 inches ideally, the bigger, the better, also the heavier the better. If the tape is vintage and aesthetically good, this may be a positive, depends how the tape presents. In general, the average 40BR model bat would be about $400, A 125 store model (with inch marks) a few hundred more. If it is a 40BRJ, the J is for junior, and was a store model bat for kids, these are shorter and lighter than their 40BR counterparts, and are worth about $150.

murphusa
12-26-2012, 07:12 AM
hold the bat and see if you can feel nails or screws under the black tape make sure the knob is full and not broken and the barrel end of the bat is full and not flaking/deadwood

khkco4bls
12-26-2012, 08:00 AM
what about a 125BR. What are they worth?

BigJJ
12-26-2012, 08:13 AM
About the same as the 40BR, retail as well.