PDA

View Full Version : Lou Gehrig Autograph

deep2deep
12-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I obtain this potential authentic Lou Gehrig autographed 1930's T.J.Hickey stamped Wilson Official Leaguer Baseball. I believe it is a minor league ball.
A bit of a story behind it. Rather then bore you with details, here is a picture. Do you think this could be authentic if so, what could it value be? If you look closely you can see the large top loop in the L of Lou. Some ink has faded on the first G in Gehrig, the large upper portion of the G can be seen by changing the angle of view or contrast on image.

Thanks for your assistance.

GrayGhost
12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
I don't like Gehrig's w that formation of the G. I don't think there are any/many Lou's w that type of "G".

Tho I can't see the ball that well, the signature I mean, I'd say no just based on that. But, there are many others to hopefully reply.

MGHPro
12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Based on what i can see, I dont believe its authentic
Matt

daves_resale_shop
12-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Doesn't look like Gehrig's signature to me... probably penned harmlessly by the original donor...

JimStinson
12-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I would guess not. Also something to be careful of is the "Compliments of" , This would often times indicate the item was being presented as a gift from but not nessesarily signed by the celebrity or athlete themselves.

Particularly true with old photos especially cabinet photos which at the time had FAR more value than the autograph so the photo was presented as a gift from, thus "compliments of".

In the case of the ball at the time it was presented and in the context of the time it had MORE value than the autograph, The ball may have been worth a couple bucks, the autograph nothing.

All that being said even if the ball were authentic due to condition its not going to be worth a heck of alot. Hope this helps

RichardSimon
12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
I would never buy that ball.

Shoeless Moe
12-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Who the hell is Lou Goldberg?

deep2deep
12-24-2012, 11:06 AM
With that said if not authentic it was likely presented to these individuals by Lou which in itself would make for a nice $100.00 keepsake. Do u agree?

JimStinson
12-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Its going to cost me at least that much when I go to the chiropractor after trying to read the COA that accompanied the ball while balancing on my head upside down. ;)

deep2deep
12-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your humor? Not really, but thanks for your input.

thecatspajamas
12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
deep,
No need to take offense. I think that's Jim's way of suggesting that, if you're going to upload a scan of the LOA, could you please rotate it so that it can be read easily? I started to try to read it, but gave up as it made my brain hurt (and since I wouldn't be able to give any good advice on the ball either way.)

Just remember that these are real live people you're asking for help and be considerate of their time and effort. If it means rotating a scan before uploading it, that seems a small price to pay for otherwise free advice.

JimStinson
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your humor? Not really, but thanks for your input.

No worries champ, Have a great Holiday ..

scmavl
12-26-2012, 07:41 AM
It seems we're getting more and more people who join, ask if something is real, and then get snarky with established board members. That's too bad.

JimStinson
12-26-2012, 08:08 AM
It seems we're getting more and more people who join, ask if something is real, and then get snarky with established board members. That's too bad.

I think the problem is that because the opinion/opinions were/are given for FREE they are percieved as worthless and undeserving of respect.

If they had to shell out $150.00 and camp out by their mailbox for three months for the exact same "opinion" and the person rendering the opinion made themselves unavailable for feedback and inexcessible for comment it would not be held with such contempt.

Mr. Zipper
12-26-2012, 08:48 AM

There is a head-scratching sense of entitlement in society in general.

I can't tell you how many emails I get from complete strangers with a subject line like "Is this Armstrong real?" and attached is a tiny image. Nothing else. No how-do-you dos, hellos, thanks or anything.

And if I do respond and the item is suspect (as it most often is), they want a detailed dissertation of "why" or they just plain get angry with me for delivering the bad news.

http://www.comiccollecting.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_doh.gif

JimStinson
12-26-2012, 10:18 AM
+100 absolutely correct !!!

deep2deep
01-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I didn't mean to seem offensive. I am thankful for your time.