PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jimme Foxx....

jgmp123
12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to finally try to add a Jimmie Foxx to my collection...I'm hoping my Ron Keurajian book comes Tuesday (Christmas) and it will help me with some of the older HOF signatures....

Anyone care to give an opinion on the two Jimmie Foxx signatures below:

jgmp123
12-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Anyone???

Deertick
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I like the left. The right not so much.

mighty bombjack
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
I like the left. The right not so much.

My thoughts exactly, but I'm far from an expert on Foxx.

daves_resale_shop
12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
I too am in pursuit of a foxx and looked at both of these...

I definitely don't like the one on the right...

The one on the left scares me somewhat... The "J" appears off... Many of Foxx's signatures either have the very cool and attractive flamboyant "J" or the "J" with the squared of lower extender... also the spacing in between f-o-x-x seems distant...

once again not an expert, but I have been looking for a beast for awhile & have been looking at them a little more closely as of late...

prewarsports
12-22-2012, 08:57 PM
His J could be very different depending on where it was signed (at the ballpark v. through the mail) and also as his years went by his signature got a bit more loopy. Traditionally ones signed at the ballpark during his playing days where he might be a bit rushed have a hard point on the bottom like the one on the left so I would not worry about the J, I think that one is fine. I actually think the other one is probably ok too but would still be hesitant without third party authentication or more information on it.

Rhys

JimStinson
12-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Have posted an image of a Jimmie Foxx GPC signed around 1948 for comparison, along with a couple others from same collection. Foxx was known to use a proxy (most likely his brother) to sign for him and he liked to drink a bit, which might account for variations