PDA

View Full Version : Florida Pawn Shop

Paulanthony
12-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I thought this may be interesting. I am in Tampa Florida visiting family. One of my favorite pass- times is visiting Pawn Shops and Flea Markets. The Mays, Mantle Photo along with Ali were in the same Pawn Shop. The Mantle, Mays caught my attention.
After a close inspection the ickey didn’t look right, the M looked good and the Mantle looked real good. I pulled out my exemplars noticed the difference immediately. Turned the photo over, YMC cert. Price $125.00. The Ali signature looked to clean and the LOOP in the H was a tip off. Price $100.00 no cert. The Joe Dimaggio Is a flea market Item. The Vendor told me he buys them from a guy who gets them from China. I liked it as a novelty, paid $5. Interested in knowing the name of the forger who did the Mantle

jgmp123
12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
YMC is garbage....Interesting that he came down from $125 to $5....:(

novakjr
12-22-2012, 09:19 AM
YMC is garbage....Interesting that he came down from $125 to $5....:(

You clearly read that wrong. The $5 was for the Dimaggio item at a flea market. The Pawn shop wanted $125 for the Mantle/Mays.

isaac2004
12-22-2012, 10:00 AM
All bad

HOFAUTOS
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
I see this stuff at the local show here in Tampa. I don't know why a dealer with no experience in autographs sells autographs. Blows my mind.

RichardSimon
12-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I see this stuff at the local show here in Tampa. I don't know why a dealer with no experience in autographs sells autographs. Blows my mind.

Perhaps for the $$$$$$$$$$ ??

bender07
12-22-2012, 06:08 PM
All bad

No offense but how do you go from asking opinions on DiMaggio autographs a week ago to decisively handing out appraisals?

Deertick
12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
No offense but how do you go from asking opinions on DiMaggio autographs a week ago to decisively handing out appraisals?

:)

isaac2004
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM

No offense taken, I just saw the mantle and the Ali, and they were bad. Went with the Jim Stinson pee rule.

Wymers Auction
12-23-2012, 06:56 AM
In Isaac's defense that Mantle is a very common Florida area fake that has been presented on all forums many times. The moon shaped M's are a give away on these. Shelly probably helped him identify this type of forgery although I cannot really speak for him. I am trying to learn also Isaac keep plugging away at it. I have done this for about a year and I can identify the more amateurish forgers, but I am still thrown off by the better ones.

JimStinson
12-23-2012, 07:24 AM
He gets his autographs from CHINA ???????? whaaaa? Don't those poor ten year old kids over there have ENOUGH to do cranking out fake Gucci handbags in those sweatshops for 50 cents a day, Now they have em doing autographs ?
Ok ...so from now on, Rice stains or soy sauce on any autograph is a RED FLAG ........................Literally :)

isaac2004
12-23-2012, 10:33 AM
In Isaac's defense that Mantle is a very common Florida area fake that has been presented on all forums many times. The moon shaped M's are a give away on these. Shelly probably helped him identify this type of forgery although I cannot really speak for him. I am trying to learn also Isaac keep plugging away at it. I have done this for about a year and I can identify the more amateurish forgers, but I am still thrown off by the better ones.

Yea Jim I know that forgery because it is so well known and very bad. It's the little nuances good forgeries have that I am having trouble with.

shelly
12-23-2012, 04:08 PM
The difference between James and Isaac is that James is humble.:D

JimStinson
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Yea Jim I know that forgery because it is so well known and very bad. It's the little nuances good forgeries have that I am having trouble with.

The better forgeries are SUPPOSED to throw you off.....thats the plan. What am I missing here ????

RichardSimon
12-23-2012, 07:58 PM

The photo was printed in Florida, the signatures were forged in Florida, the photo was sold in Florida and then resold all over the United States.

shelly
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM

I have seen you look at the worst stuff on earth and still question if it is real or not. You have a problem good, bad or even authentic.:rolleyes: