PDA

View Full Version : Warning to Firefox users

12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Over the last couple of days I started seeing random words being linked inside of members' posts. On mouseover, a targeted ad window would appear. At first I just assumed that Leon had figured out a way to earn a couple extra bucks (nothing wrong with that :D ), but today I was on another PC which did not do the same thing. I discovered the links were being generated by a firefox extension. I removed it and all is well (did some virus/malware/spyware scans too). Just a heads up guys.

HRBAKER
12-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Was happening on Google Chrome too.

Leon
12-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Was happening on Google Chrome too.

I use Google Chrome and haven't see it. If something crazy goes on please PM me about it. Now, I won't say we don't do some marketing things to raise money but pop up ads aren't and won't be one of them. We try to have a fairly clean forum and if you go to other forums you will know we are not too bad in the way of aversions. The few money making endeavors do help keep the lights on and we appreciate folks putting up with them....ie banners, a few emails etc...

teetwoohsix
12-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Cy2009
02-26-2013, 06:12 AM
This is a spam program that can be attached to something that you downloaded. It isn't a terrible thing, just annoying.

I have a link below that shows you how to remove the spamware. If you do have Firefox, the program is probably also attached to your plugins or Add-ons. This can be removed by going to the top left of your Firefox browser, Tools, then Add-ons. Make sure that you disable or, better yet, remove the Add-on. I believe that the undesired Add-on may be called Coupon Companion.

I hope that this helps.

Here is the link: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ads-not-by-this-site/

Cy