PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Topps Master Set List

jdeptula
12-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Newbee here with a question on this terriffic set.

I starting to put together a 1956 Topps set and I'm looking for some help with compiling a master set list. I see that there are three variations among 6 of the teams cards (no date name centered, no date name left and with date) but I'm seeing conflicting information on the Net about the backs.

Do each of these team cards (Orioles, Braves, Reds, Indians, Phillies and Cubs) come with both grey and white backs in each variation? That would make 6 versions of each team card. I would assume so, since they are all within the first 2 series, and should have both backs. But I can't find anywhere that will clearly say that's the case. One Website calls the grey back a 4th variation, one says 2 of the 3 variations came with both backs, one say backs don't matter.

So, I guess, more importantly: Should I even care? Does anyone actually concern themselves with white/grey back variations in this set? Is that even considered a variation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

sflayank
12-19-2012, 02:15 PM
the dated team only comes 1 way
no date left and centered come gray and white
5 teams cards for super set

ALR-bishop
12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Joe--are you a PSA graded collector ? If so and you are seeking a master set I would use their master checklist on their web site. If not, collect the set the way you like, Some collectors do the different backs, Some do only back differences beyond color. Some do only front variations. It's a matter of personal choice so be your own boss. I have the 56 set and chose not to do the gray/white backs, but did do all the team card front differences. The other oddities I added to my set are:

Card 108 Pepper can be found with a green or brown blob at his shoulder (written up in SCD)
Card 263 Miller with the green boxes around stats on back missing...recurring
Card 323 Schmidt with the number 7, games lost on back, missing...recurring ( written up in SCD)
Card 212 Temple with blob by ear or airbrushed out...recurring

There are numerous cards with different colored lines above the players or team name on the front. I have seen some lists of these but believe a lot of cards in the set can be found this way

jdeptula
12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks Larry. That was exactly what I was looking for.

jdeptula
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Al. I'm more into raw cards than graded, but I'll check it out as a reference. Hadn't thought to check the registry.

I wasn't aware of the non team card front variations. I'll probably focus on the fronts then turn to the backs if I still have the energy after that.:)

Joe

ALR-bishop
12-19-2012, 07:23 PM
wrong term imo....cards in their natural state

ChiSoxFan
08-01-2013, 07:25 AM
There are numerous cards with different colored lines above the players or team name on the front. I have seen some lists of these but believe a lot of cards in the set can be found this way

Here are some examples of this (not my cards):

Yellow Line:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1956-TOPPS-5-TED-WILLIAMS-RED-SOX-WHITE-BACK-/00/$(KGrHqQOKkYE2Kv+rgBNBNuC5zblO!~~_3.JPG

Blue Line:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1956-TOPPS-BASEBALL-5-TED-WILLIAMS-GRAY-BACK-PSA-8-/00/s/NjE5WDEwNzk=/z/wVgAAOxyNepRnSyk/$T2eC16d,!ysE9sy0jLFoBRnSyk(P7g~~60_57.JPG

Green Line:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1956-Topps-Set-Break-5-Ted-Williams-VG-Wrinkle-/00/s/NjI3WDg1NA==/z/PrEAAOxynLhR9FCN/$(KGrHqF,!lcFHsnVPjzeBR9FCNcL0g~~60_57.JPG

Thanks,
ChiSoxFan

ALR-bishop
08-01-2013, 08:00 AM
I think it may be possible to find this variant in almost all cards in the sets. I picked up a few for examples in my set