PDA

View Full Version : OT: Needing Help With Historical Docs. 1868 President Andrew Johnson - Blair Knights

smokelessjoe
12-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I have several historical documents that relate to the presidential election of 1868.... I believe they may be quite important in relation to the Reconstruction period of our history. Most of the letters are associated with the Democratic State Central Committee of Louisiana and I believe relate to the struggle between black Republicans and white Democrats. Some of letters almost seem to be written in code while others can be quite off putting concerning race relations at that time. Such as the The Opelousas Massacre of 1868.

I am having trouble reading some of them & making out some of the signatures???

My Question???? I have been trying to find a forum similar to Net54 in order to discuss these letters.... Do any of you know of someplace I can go to find out more about what I have?
Some of the letters:

1. Letter to Colonel Thomas L Macon from the Blair Knights & the Seymour Knights - Signed by Confederate General Harry T Hays pres. Blair Knights - Signed by John S Tully pres. Seymour Knights

2. Several letters from Col. Thomas L Macon Pres. of the Dem. Central Comm.

3. Letter from the Jefferson Democratic Club

4. Many more, some of which discuss meetings with Pres. Andrew Johnson, Montgomery Blair, & Gen. George McClellan

Any help is much appreciated!
Shawn

Runscott
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Yep. PM sent.

drc
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Numerous autograph collectors and dealers on this board are also interested/collected/deal in non-sport autographs, and so I think you may find autograph people here to talk about your documents.

CarltonHendricks
12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Shawn, Sounds like a really great haul of history, good luck with that. It sounds like a lot to sort out. I just bought an 1856 letter that is my first vernture into deciphering old handwriting and it's very tough to make out...like one step at a time tough...so I feel your pain with that amount of stuff. You've done great research for me in the past out of good will, so I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it all. -Carlton

smokelessjoe
12-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Check out what I just found...

First picture is a letter I have signed by Gen. Harry T Hays & John S Tully - While trying to research more about it I found a newspaper article (Courier & Republic Aug 15th 1868) that transcribes THE EXACT SAME LETTER I HAVE! It is word for word! Now I can put it in context - its great. Seems they were a little pissed off at Louisiana Governor Warmoth about some comments he made about the Blair Knights & the Seymour Knights.

The letter I have is in response to Thomas L Macons letter informing Harry & John of Gov. Warmoth comments. (second half of the News Article)

The letter is in a plastic sleeve - I am trying to handle as little as possible - so the picture is not that great.

Runscott
12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Shawn, I can feel your excitement.

To me, there is nothing more exciting than holding one of these old letters. Unlike a card or photo which it is unlikely that the person ever touched, you know when you are looking at these letters that each page at one time was sitting on a desk beneath the person's hand as they thought about what they were going to write. It's a closeness in this hobby that you don't get too many other ways.

benderbroeth
12-19-2012, 07:54 PM
History detectives

smokelessjoe
12-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Scott,

I could not agree with you more - it is just hard to believe that history like this is still out there. I will add to your comment & say that allot of times it is a great way to learn about history that was never taught in school - like following your own history trail.

History Detectives! Ha, I have thought about contacting them in the past with some other items I have - but I think they probably get bombarded with requests!

Ok, if folks do not mind, I am going to keep posting about these letters on Net54 - Its a great forum and I cannot find any where else to share this! Again thank you all...

MYSTERY LETTER!

Below is pictured one of the letters that I cannot figure out - Anyone care to take a stab at the author????

It is a letter written to Hon. Thomas L Macon pres. of the Democratic State Central Committee in 1868 from the Metropolitan Hotel in Washington DC... This is the guy who talks about meeting with Pres. Andrew Johnson, Montgomery Blair, & Gen. George McClellan - I wonder if he is some kind of reporter or something???

I am going to be on the road for the better part of the day - I may or may not be able to respond to any questions for awhile??

Any Guesses???

ctownboy
12-20-2012, 07:03 AM
A ? Bruce ????????

David

Michael B
12-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I cannot decipher the signature, but the initials are A.G.B. It is not Ambrose G. Bierce as his signature was very lineal.

The Blair Knights and Seymour Knights probably refer to Horatio Seymour, Democratic nominee for President in 1868 and his vice-presidential running mate Francis P. Blair, Jr. Blair's father was a member of Lincoln's cabinet and he was a Union General and former Senator. After the war he changed parties from Republican to Democrat as he opposed the Reconstruction policies of the federal government and President Johnson. In the first letter, Mr. Hays refers to the two groups as military organizations. They may have been organized under the umbrella of the first version of the Klu Klux Klan. The first Klan was not terribly organized as many of the people claiming to be members would not agree to the Prescript or dogma. I will not get into the whole history, but there was strong enforcement and prosecution against the groups and it was found that 'members' of the early Klan included Blacks, Republicans, bootleggers, common criminals and a slew of other people. Prior to the 1868 election there was a lot of intimidation of Republican voters in the South to prevent them from partipating in the presidential election. U.S. Grant was still elected.

In summary, these groups referred to were probably Caucasian ex-Confederate soldiers who wanted to restore the rights and franchise of those who supported the CSA. After the original Klan was pretty much disbanded in 1874 other groups like the White League and Red Shirts appeared. These were more paramilitary than the original Klan.

I hope this helps. For background info I formerly collected and dealt in Civil War signatures and documents. A few of the dealers still know me by the finds that I made in the 1990's including a large group of documents signed by Bernard Bee and an 1848 Mexican War letter written by Richard B. Garnett. Bee was a Confederate General killed at First Manassas and is credited with giving 'Stonewall' Jackson his nickname. Garnett was a Confederate General killed at Gettysburg during Pickett's Charge.

Cheers,

Michael

smokelessjoe
12-23-2012, 06:04 AM
First let me say Wow! Thank you Michael for your response! I was sort of getting tidbits if what you stated in my research, but nothing as concise & to the point as your post. Thank you, - its funny - it seems that in some of the earlier literature that I have found the authors still wanted to beat around the bush and not state what some of these organizations were... Even several years later.

David, I have tried many variations on the Bruce - still not sure - thank you for the Guess.

A.G.B That Michael stated may be correct - I am wondering if the name is not A.G. Brice - A Louisiana Judge during this period. I am not sure and have not researched enough because of the "Holiday" :)... Not sure why he would have been in Washington DC either.

The reason I think "Brice" is check out the second word written in the letter - it is "arrived" and is very similar to the Mystery Name..

Shawn

smokelessjoe
01-15-2013, 04:51 AM
This was a tough one (signature) for me.... Below is a letter written by Christian Roselius apparently in response to a request from J. B. Walton & T. L. Macon to advocate a Democratic nomination. The letter is very matter a fact and states I will not because "I Am A Whig" etc...

Christian Roselius was Attorney General of Louisiana for two years and a rather well known lawyer! If it were not for the Wiki Signature below his picture I am not sure if I would have figured it out.

The second picture is a signature from a letter written to Colonel Thomas L Macon from New York on Sept. 20 1868. I wish I new what it is talking about - the first sentence is very intriguing "It's conceded on all sides that the pictures representing the present legislature of our state is the best Campaign Document out - for God Sake send 20,000 Copies at once to Pennsylvania and send me all you can here by express care C.R. Marshall No2 Aster House" and goes on...

Any guesses? Anyone recongnize the name????

Michael B
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Shawn - J H Wingf---. If I had a DAB - Dictionary of American Biography, from the early 1900's I could probably nail it down. Could be Wingfield, Wingfell, but does not ring any bells. Probably a New York legislator or politico.

IronHorse2130
01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
It's interesting that the author of the letter refers to himself as a Whig as the Whig party had pretty much dissolved by the beginning/end of the Civil War.

IronHorse2130
01-16-2013, 05:48 PM
The letter addressed to Col Macon is also addressed to this man -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_B._Walton

Also interesting that Louisiana was readmitted to the Union on June 25, 1868, shortly before these letters were written. Can you post a photo of the Sept 20th letter? It would be interesting read the entire content.

smokelessjoe
01-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Thank you for the information everyone... For me I can sense the urgency in this letter... I like how he has underlined certain things...

Here is the Letter to Colonel Thomas L Macon: My Translation... Need help with a couple of words.

My Dear Sir
It's conceeded in all sides that the pictures representing the present Legislature of our state, is the best Campaign Document out - for God Sake send 20,000 Copies at once to Pennsylvania and send me all you can here by express care CR Marshall No2 Aster House. As soon as I get them I will go in Company with a large Delegation at once to Pennsylvania. Don't fail, for upon the result of the Oct. Election in Pennsylvania depends?? our only hope.
Our friends say this that if we Carry Pennsylvania in October we will Elect our Candidate & if not, we had as well quit. Every dollar that can be raisen is being sent there.
N.Y. is all ????? and if we carry Pensyl in October we will Carry Ill. & Ohio beyond a doubt, J.H Wingf...

smokelessjoe
01-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Here is another letter to Thomas Macon in support of the Democratic State Central Committee... I believe it is signed by "A. G. Cantley" ?

Here is some tragic info I found online (if it is the same Cantley)... Killed himself in July of 1878.

Judge A.G. Cantley, formerly Judge of the Probate Court in Texas, and late Clerk of the Committee of Commerce in the House of Representatives at Washington City, committed suicide yesterday morning at about 4:30 o'clock, at the residence of his son-in-law, James McGrew, agent for the Cincinnati Gas Company, on the corner of Mound and Main avenues, Avondale, by shooting himself ...

Runscott
01-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Shawn - J H Wingf---. If I had a DAB - Dictionary of American Biography, from the early 1900's I could probably nail it down. Could be Wingfield, Wingfell, but does not ring any bells. Probably a New York legislator or politico.

This may just be an amazing coincidence, but my g-g-grandfather fought in the Louisiana 3rd Cavalry, under Lt. Col. James H. Wingfield. These Cavalry regiments were generally privately-finance and joining was commonly 'off the books', as was the case with my ancestor. So Wingfield obviously was well-to-do and it would not surprise me if he had been involved in politics, etc., later in life.

Michael B
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
The missing word in the J.H. Wingfield letter is right. It is split up into rig and ht.

smokelessjoe
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
This may just be an amazing coincidence, but my g-g-grandfather fought in the Louisiana 3rd Cavalry, under Lt. Col. James H. Wingfield. These Cavalry regiments were generally privately-finance and joining was commonly 'off the books', as was the case with my ancestor. So Wingfield obviously was well-to-do and it would not surprise me if he had been involved in politics, etc., later in life.

Wow Scott! That is crazy... I did find a letter that had sold at auction that was signed by the very same Wingfield that you speak of... Civil War letter. The signature is different but similiar??? So I assumed it was not the same guy? I will see if I can find the letter again, post the Sig. here and get ya'lls thoughts.

Michael,

I totally see "right" now... Now it is like glaring at me!

Thanks,

Runscott
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Shawn, if you spot anything else related to Wingfield, please let me know. I have written a short biography of my ancestor, but finding good info on Winfield's regiment was tough.

smokelessjoe
01-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Scott, I will definitely send you what I have found... I wish I knew about your relative when I first started looking into Wingfield. I cannot find some of the stuff I had found when I first started - but I do have a few things....

Here is another letter from David Flanery... Talking about the Presidential results for Seymour & Grant. I really like the envelope "The United States Military Telegraph" - Neat thing is that I watched the new Lincoln movie and saw Lincoln at the telegraph office and had the same envelope!

Below also is a newspaper article about the election - I think it gives you a good idea of what was going on at the time of the election.

Also pictured is a transcription from the "The House of Representatives.Second Session of the Forty-Second Congress 1871" - apparently Flanery had written to the Louisiana Investigating Committee about Governor Warmoth and his illegal practice of selling dispatches... Sorry about the poor quality.

All of this stuff is so intriguing to me!

smokelessjoe
01-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Here is a letter naming Thomas Macon an honorary member of the Jefferson Democratic Club (Jefferson City, Louisiana).

Not finding much on the club or Mr. Blanchard - I think just one of many local political clubs of no real influence. Still, a neat little letter...

Sorry about the blurr.... Not a real fan of these phone cameras...

smokelessjoe
02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I am probably boring everyone to death....:) Again, sorry about the poor quality photos...:eek:

Here is a letter from Thomas L Macon to the Chairman & Members of the National Executive Committee in New York City... States he is sending James B Eustis (US Senator) to talk about the affairs.... Interesting in that the Wiki on Mr Eustis talks about him going to speak with President Andrew Johnson...

Tidbit from Wiki on James Eustis: "He was elected a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives prior to the Reconstruction acts, and was one of the committee sent to Washington, D.C. to confer with President Andrew Johnson on Louisiana affairs. He was again a member of the State house of representatives in 1872, and was a member of the Louisiana Senate from 1874 to 1878."

The Letter reads as follows:

Sir,
I take pleasure in presenting to your favorable attention the Hon. James B Eustis of this city who is on a visit to New York. I have taken the liberty to request him to call on the National Executive Committee, and confer with them on the political situation here. Mr. Eustis is finely? posted as to our difficulties, and our chances of success in this state. And any communication he may make can be implicitly relied upon. With respect ?????? Gentlemen Your abiding servant T. L. Macon President Dem. State Central Committee.

smokelessjoe
02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Here is a letter written by J. Paris Childress who was Secretary of the Central Committee of the Independent Democratic Clubs. I have found where Childress was a Judge in New Orleans - lists him as (Judge First City Court). What does that mean?

Letter Reads:

New Orleans, La. Oct. 15th 1868

Col. Macon,
Sir,
I am directed by the Central Committee of the Independent Democratic Clubs to cordially invite you to attend and act as one of the Vice Presidents at the Grand ??? Meeting to be held at Congo Square on Saturday Oct. 17 1868.

Respectfully
J. Paris Childress
Secretary

smokelessjoe
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
This is a letter accepting Col. Thomas L Macons resignation... I am not sure about the Signature on this one? Thomas St????

The letter reads:

Col. Thomas L Macon
New Orleans, La.

Sir,
I have the honor to transmit the following resolution, which was unanimously adopted at the last regular meeting of this committee.

Resolved,
That the thanks of this committee be expressed to Col. Tho. L. Macon late President of the Democratic State Central Committee for energy, zeal, and untiring efforts throughout the whole campaign, and that in accepting his resignation. We regret to be severed from a Earnest worker in the Democratic cause.

Respectfully,
Thomas St??