PDA

View Full Version : A Manziel custom card

Bob Lemke
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I posted this on my blog this morning . . .

I don't believe I've ever done one of my custom cards for a college football player before he was drafted.

I've made an exception for Johnny Manziel, creating this card in the style of 1952 Bowman.

While I didn't want to wait two or three years until Manziel comes out in the NFL draft, the principal reason for making a card now is that I had such a clear vision.

There was only one Texas A & M player card in 1952 Bowman (none in 1955 Topps All-American), Yale Lary. Since childhood, I have always liked the "drill sergeant" cartoon logo that Bowman placed on that card. I'm glad I got a chance to use it on one of my customs.

Manziel brought a lot of excitement to college ball this season, and livened up the SEC in the school's first year in the conference. And anybody that knocks 'Bama off the unbeaten list is OK in my book.

We won't know for some time what Manziel's legacy will be in the college or the professional game, but I felt that his exceptional season was worth commemorating now.

You'll notice on this beta version of my card back I've already credited A & M with defeating their former Big 12 rivals Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. I'll have to wait for the game to be played before I print my Manziel cards . . . here's hoping I don't have to change the copy.

GoldenAge50s
12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Being as how the '52 Bowman Large was a set I completed in 1952 & now resides on the SGC Registry, your card of Johnny Football is already a big favorite w/ me! I'll call it card 144A.

Bob Lemke
12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Fred.

I've already done 1952 Bowman-style cards #144-150: Roger Staubach, Tom Brady (home and away), Brett Favre (large and small), Marion Motley, Dexter McCluster and Troy Polamalu.

Most of them can be seen in my "Misc. Football" album on Photobucket, linked below.

Runscott
01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Great card, Bob (I just googled 'Manziel' to see if there was any discussion on the Duke game, and found this thread).

I'm kind of surprised Manziel hasn't made a public announcement of his decision - we expected it before the bowl game, so I guess the delay means he's seriously considering returning to A&M. The advantage would be that he could turn an amazing two-year career into a stellar three-year one. I also think he could use the third year at A&M to mature a little. Would love to see it.

Bob Lemke
01-02-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd also like to see Manziel return for another year at Texas A&M. I'd rather see him star on Saturdays (as long as they're not playing Ole Miss) than ride the pines on Sundays.